AuthorTopic: wheel spacers pros and cons  (Read 1534 times)

Offline NEILH

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wheel spacers pros and cons
« on: July 21, 2007, 18:53:53 »
hi , im thinking of some wheel spacers on my vitara . whats the pros and cons ? and whats there purpose?

thanks neil

WEEKEND TOY

white vitara
2 " suspension lift /2" body lift
fedamar extreme 32"
rubbers suzuki winch bumper
12000 lb winch.
hand made snorkel
extended breathers
home made rear bumper
32mm wheel spacers

EVERDAY TOY
300 tdi discovery avimore

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 19:12:01 »
Cons:

Increase loading on whee bearing can lead to premature failure.
On the type that use a replacement, longer stud, increase loading on wheel stud possibly leading to failure of wheel stud.
On the type that bolt onto hub and then have own studs through the wheel - one more set of nuts/bolts to come undone on a critical point - the wheel.
Increased loading on steering.
Bad ackerman leading to increased tyre wear on the road and imprecise steering due to the 2 front wheels fighting each other on different but incorrect turn radius.

Pros:
Can make smaller/narrow tyres fill the arches better.
Can adapt wheels from other models to correct offset, when much of the cons do not apply. Or even adapt 5 stud to 6 stud and vica versa.
Increase steering lock when fitted with wider wheel/tyre combos that rub inner wing or suspension member.

Pros/Cons
Can soften the effective rate of the suspension due to greater leverage over the spring. This can be a plus or a minus. On beam axles this only applies in roll where roll will increase.
With independent suspension this is all the time. Truck will sit slightly lower with wheel spacers. (it will measure it if you don't beleive me).

Personally I am not a fan, would rather use different offset wheels, which still increases loading and steering/suspension effects etc but at least removes much of the problems with the studs. If I were to use the bolt on type I would definitely apply stud lock or better still lockwire the bolts/nuts in place.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 19:42:10 »
a pro is that if u raise your truck then it will be less stable - if u put on spacers then u make it more stable again.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 20:22:45 »
i was put off using wheel spacers because people have been known to have them fail at dangerous moments eg at high speed, which as you might guess could lead to a serious accident. however, others have been using them for years and havent had problems, personally ive decided not to run the possible risk and got 1" offset rims instead
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

marjan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 20:30:50 »
Had them on my Vit for over a year and have had no adverse effects. I regularly travel at high speed and with a lift I'm sure they help the stability.

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 20:48:30 »
i m ok with them

as long as you make sure that the surface of the hub is clean when you fit them - I didnt and one came loose!  :shock:
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline larry

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 22:13:11 »
I have been running on spacers with 32"s and 33"s for over two years no problems

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 22:31:54 »
as with larry ive run spacers for 4 yrs with no issues

simon

wrecker

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 21:02:37 »
ive run with spacers b4 i got wider wheels and no probs,BUT,,,

like above,make sure the area to whitch the spacer sits against is clean becouse mine came very close to coming off :shock:  :shock:

cleaned it put it back and was fine :D  :D

mark

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal