AuthorTopic: disco truck.  (Read 87042 times)

Offline boss

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
  • Referrals: 0
Re: disco truck.over-due update
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2008, 17:44:17 »
sillicone hoses.co.uk.....or .com i forget. there advert was in lrm

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

ben_haynes

« Reply #211 on: April 06, 2008, 22:59:12 »

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2008, 10:38:13 »
that would be them, they were very helpfull and understanding of what i was doing with them

it had a MOT pre check on Saturday........failed in a big way! half of it was me being lazy IE. i didn't put the bump stops on or the anti roll bar mounts were still there so there had to be an anti roll bar but the biggest problem for me is  the PAS box! that is leaking and needs replacing as does a track rod endand  it needs new breaks and pads and the front prop is "wrong" i dint know why its  "wrong" but apparently it is. i am also taking the advice given and putting a rear cross member from a 90 on there
its alot of silly little bitch jobs and I'm not paying a garage over a grand to do them! i figured if i bought all the stuff i would be spending closer to £500 if i did it all my self!

www.artoffroad.com

ben_haynes

« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:33 »
haved you replaced the front prop? ie with a double carden one or is it that when you lifted it the splines have pulled out a bit and needs a cover puting on

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2008, 17:50:34 »
WOW!!!

looking really good mate!! keep going :)

[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:38 »

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2008, 18:53:58 »
coming along a treat boss  :D

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #217 on: April 30, 2008, 15:03:09 »
where did you get that back window? and how much  8-[
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline Discotel

Attack Member
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2008, 20:28:11 »
that back window looks a bit like a glass sunroof... :-k

Offline damohick

Attack Member
« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2008, 20:37:35 »
looks like a boat window to me

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:21 »
it was off of a 90 £92+vat i belive

www.artoffroad.com

Offline iomlr

Attack Member
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2008, 10:53:51 »
looks well, just need to get the arse of it done now and get the thing used. whats happening with the rear?
Bobtail Range Rover 300tdi Manual
Body lifted, Gywn Lewis Challenge Suspension. Mach 5's with Jungle trekker Tyres ARB Locking Diffs Front and Rear. Steering Guard and Axel / Track Rod Guard. Modified bumpers front and rear Custome Rock sliders. Roccia Comp Arches,  Eleci Fans with X switch.

V8 90 County Defender. Rebuilt with galvanised chassi and bulkhead, Tubular sports manifodls and sports pipe. Old Man Emu suspension, under axel guard. BFGoodrich Muds on Mods.

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2008, 13:26:09 »
hmmm im a bit lost with the back, im going to cap the rear off like a series/defender (but leave the frame visuble) and at the moment it looks like im going to haveto wrap a sheet of alli over the top of th etub......not the desired method/effect ik was going for but im finding it difficult finding a tig set with an ac output.
i sopose i could just wrap them for now and then weld it all properley but then theres the problem im having finding virginal alluminium sheet!
as for the chassis im not sure weather to plate over the rails and make a winch tray for the future OR buy a defender rear cross member and weld that on.....i really dont wnt to do tat because i like having a 90degree deperture angle and if i put a 90 cross member on i would lose that.....
sorry if my spelling/grammer is bad today, im half asleep. :undecided:

www.artoffroad.com

Offline ade666

Attack Member
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2008, 16:41:20 »
hi boss. just spent the last hour looking at all the hard work you've put in and i'm well impressed. i'm toying with the idea of doing this to mine and what you've done really looks the DB's. don't suppose you've copyrighted any of it cause i'm mightly tempted to copy it.  where abouts in norfolk do you live and would you mind a couple of visitors to come down and see it in the flesh.
"matilda" disco 300 tdi, blue, x9 special edtion, alisport intercooler and turbo upgrade, tomcat external cage, ome lift.

"ermintrude" disco 300tdi auto es

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2008, 21:09:59 »
i do not mind visitors, if you want it can be arranged that i come up for the day and give you a hand, im helping about3 other people with there discos so whats 1 more to the list! hahaha

www.artoffroad.com

Offline ade666

Attack Member
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2008, 21:45:12 »
thanks for the offer boss. its going to be a fair few months yet before we start as my mate is redoing the front inner wings first and getting it through the mot. but we would like to come down and have a butchers at yours first. is your rear hoop from a 90. i'll sort out when we're both off at a weekend and see if your available. would you say its been hard or just time consuming
"matilda" disco 300 tdi, blue, x9 special edtion, alisport intercooler and turbo upgrade, tomcat external cage, ome lift.

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2008, 21:39:46 »
the rear hoop was from another disco truck, not built to fia standards but should hold on a minor tumble. a 90 hoop will fit as well;)
well...its been frustrating you CAN do it in 2 days with 2 people who know what there doing in a workshop but you will end up with less than what i had before i re grafted the roof, IE just a sheet.
as you have access to build pics on how to do stuff you could probably get to the same stage I'm at with in a week. unfortunately i had next to nothing when it came to pics, i had a few from cheviot Dave which were not really that helpfull as i wasn't aiming my truck to be as good as that one, and i had some more which i took as a guide on how not to do it! so it was played by ear.
there is already talk of plans to rebuild it in the winter! i would make a list of absolutely everything you need to do to it and prioritise it. get tit through an mot first then do all your offroad mods so you can use it at least then make the chop
as for coming over, we are planning a trip to wildtracs soon to christen it its probably best that you comedown then

www.artoffroad.com

Offline ade666

Attack Member
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2008, 18:43:49 »
i was planning on taking a week off work to do it. what spec box section did you use for making the the side and rear frame thingies. when and where is wildtracs mate

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #228 on: May 07, 2008, 20:04:21 »
the rear of the tub is made with 2"x2"x2mm box section and the frames are made of same but 1"x1"
i would not do it that way i would re attach the wings/lights the way they were

like this one

or this is an alternative

wild tracks it up red lodge way

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2008, 18:19:40 »
intake pipe fully welded up today! not 1 hole was blown through and it dont look half bad.....i hate welding alli!

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2008, 22:48:49 »
(C&P from LR4X4 SO SORRY IF YOU HAVE ALREDY READ)
Hmmmm the spaghetti monster attacked the disco earlier... an absolute mess! It doesn’t help that I have no clue of how to beat him off! Ahhh the filler monster will no doubt be joining him soon too! I need reinforcements! wiring the disco loom into the NAS lights has proven harder than I first thought, also the HID monster came, that annoyed me alot because there is no reason why the person I'm not that keen on should be there(it doesn’t work and I don’t know why!) any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Also some very shiny (and soon to be anodized) brackets for the lights....a pig to work with as 6mm checker plate is tough stuff. it was a pig to weld too as I was sitting in a store room at college for god knows how long and its picked up all sorts of contaminants......I really don’t want to show you the welds as there very ugly......it just wouldn’t take!

well thats very shiney!

also, not sure if ive put this up but i got the air intake welded up thats very nice now

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 19:43:47 by Frankie-Boy »

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:06 »
(C&P from LR4X4 SO SORRY IF YOU HAVE ALREDY READ)
Hmmmm the spaghetti monster attacked the disco earlier... an absolute mess! It doesn’t help that I have no clue of how to beat him off! Ahhh the filler monster will no doubt be joining him soon too! I need reinforcements! wiring the disco loom into the NAS lights has proven harder than I first thought, also the HID monster came, that annoyed me alot because there is no reason why the person I'm not that keen on should be there(it doesn’t work and I don’t know why!) any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Also some very shiny (and soon to be anodized) brackets for the lights....a pig to work with as 6mm checker plate is tough stuff. it was a pig to weld too as I was sitting in a store room at college for god knows how long and its picked up all sorts of contaminants......I really don’t want to show you the welds as there very ugly......it just wouldn’t take!

well thats very shiney!

also, not sure if ive put this up but i got the air intake welded up thats very nice now

Please tell us that you are planning on doing something neat with the rear of your truck? cos at the moment it looks a tad rough :lol:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 19:44:46 by Frankie-Boy »
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

landymadjay

« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2008, 11:10:40 »
boss whens it got to be done by

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2008, 11:47:16 »
i am aware that it is ugly im after a defender rear x-member which i hope will finish it of a little better, and im still in need of some doors(door skins) to sort it out anyone know of any of the above for sale let me know

jay....there is no such thing as a finished landrover, it is done to the standards of some people i know but not to mine....if i had a full workshop it would be "done" and look much nicer...and i would have a hell of alot moe money in my pocket. but thats life.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 19:45:34 by Frankie-Boy »

www.artoffroad.com

landymadjay

« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2008, 12:17:52 »
so why cnt u put the rear corner on and your prop guna av to buy doors and cut the skins off and when has it gota be finished.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2008, 13:44:49 »
Just a mad idea I've had, but could you use the waffle boards as a tailgate? You'd just need to fabricate a couple of end caps that they'd slide into from above.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2008, 08:40:23 »
Just a mad idea I've had, but could you use the waffle boards as a tailgate? You'd just need to fabricate a couple of end caps that they'd slide into from above.

hahahaha
do you mean like this?

jay, it has to be "done" for the 10 of June....then it will receive a damn good thrashing around the farm to test the limits and maby a painting session with all the people that have helped then I'm of to the B.L.R.C event on the 13Th

forgot to mention this but i need a winch

there is a dick in the B.L.R.C (who will remain nameless) who thinks i cant make it around the course because "Ive lifted it and it ll fall over" well i hate being told what i cant do and want to show him up! he is entering the winch challenge there in his stock ish 90....i want to [throw it] him off! i am pretty confident that i can beat him (points wise) just need a winch and still allot of work to do.  :roll:

and yes jay, i am thinking of putting the clusters back in....bit of a step back but it does look allot better. unfortunately i have given one of the clusters away so  Will have to go to a breakers and get one, maby some door skins at the same time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

anyone want to be generous and donate some parts??? :lol:

www.artoffroad.com

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2008, 09:44:16 »
boss where u thinking of having a rear winch that bumper looks ideal for one  :-k

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2008, 12:17:34 »
Get yourself on Ebay Boss
I found a Warn 9.5 Ti for £200
All it needed was a solinoid and remote and it was working again
Failing that there's plenty of cheap new winches out there
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2008, 18:56:46 »
that "bumper" was only an experiment, it was only made from 2mm steel and tacked on.....notice i sad WAS Matt at overland took it appon himself to test it out by jumping on it and the tacks broke and he hit the floor like a sack of spuds!bit bent now as the only reinforcements i put in where in the square bit... the tubes were just welded on.  i am not looking into rear winches at the moment i would like to start competing soonish but  i was told that you re entered in different classes depending on traction aids IE someone with a single winch wont be competing with someone with 2 winches and difflocks. don't want to go to the first challenge and be up against stuff like the mitsimog! hahahaa

jake, i will have a look at that i was told to avoid 2nd hand winches like the plague but that is tempting. i have another plan in the works but it may not work out
thank you for that.

www.artoffroad.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal