AuthorTopic: disco truck.  (Read 86521 times)

Offline Iain C

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
disco truck build. update for jake!
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2007, 22:06:17 »
Blimey!!!!!! That is damned fine!!!
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2007, 19:26:02 »
[not a lot] done today.....it was cold and i was tired. got most of the exhaust on though. tried to start it up again....the battereys had it!
this annoyed me!
should be headding on down there tomorow where ill get the longer breaklines on and try to get the front x-springs on. it all that goes to plan and i get it started ill try and get it flexing......

secret weapon employed!

got bored so....

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2007, 19:39:15 »
might i suggest finding an alternative location for the fuel tank.... pretty as it is, its much better to look at the road in front rather than a fuel tank!  :lol:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2007, 19:57:14 »
Very impressive! Just a quick question, did you have to cut the inner wing/wheelarch at all to get the dual front shock mounts in? I ask as I've been thinking about buying a pair for mine (removing the anti-roll bar and adding a couple of extra shocks). I did consider doing it when I had the new shocks fitted earlier this year but wasn't sure how easy they are to fit.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2007, 20:42:13 »
yes the inner arch was cut away, there is a seam which is spott welded anong the side of the inner arch, i split this which worked. it still hasnt been cut away properley, i diddnt perticullaly want to get an angle grinder in the engine bay. if you are going to do it i would secure a recip saw with a short blade or preferabley a plasmacutter. im not sure what it is but on the left side above the turret there is a "thing you put coolant in"(i think) that has to be moved but it is pretty straight forward.

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2007, 20:51:12 »
Thanks mate - the thing is the header tank for the coolant system (I think!). I'll have to think about this - might start gathering the parts. Apparently I need to get shot of the anti-roll bars so I was thinking dual shocks might be a good way to stop it handling like a boat when I do!

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2007, 08:31:15 »
that, i am not sure about. i think you would do better maby just having stiff shocks(koni heavytrac maby?) if your taking the arb off i asume your after articulation? in which case its probibly better to do what ive done ie. mounting dampers on the outside, but with a different damper. let me know what you think.

www.artoffroad.com

Offline iomlr

Attack Member
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2007, 08:49:13 »
may i ask how much the fuel tank was?
Bobtail Range Rover 300tdi Manual
Body lifted, Gywn Lewis Challenge Suspension. Mach 5's with Jungle trekker Tyres ARB Locking Diffs Front and Rear. Steering Guard and Axel / Track Rod Guard. Modified bumpers front and rear Custome Rock sliders. Roccia Comp Arches,  Eleci Fans with X switch.

V8 90 County Defender. Rebuilt with galvanised chassi and bulkhead, Tubular sports manifodls and sports pipe. Old Man Emu suspension, under axel guard. BFGoodrich Muds on Mods.

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2007, 09:00:13 »
Looking better all the time!  Keep going!!
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2007, 19:26:06 »
im not saying how much it was, lets just say it was north of £250 :shock:
got the [so and so] started today!!!! there was one wire not connected to the fuel pump. took  me all day to realise so there are no twisty photos like i promiced. the collage im going to are talking about using it for a show piece for there prospectus and for open day so it could be going there soon where there are fully equiped workshops at my disposal! huzar!!! might actually get around to taking out!

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2007, 19:58:23 »
Quote from: "boss"
that, i am not sure about. i think you would do better maby just having stiff shocks(koni heavytrac maby?) if your taking the arb off i asume your after articulation? in which case its probibly better to do what ive done ie. mounting dampers on the outside, but with a different damper. let me know what you think.

I'm really after better articulation but don't want to lose the stability - I tend to push mine pretty hard on road so if adding a couple of extra shocks would keep it handling as it does but with more articulation then I'll go for that. I'll have a think about it. Do you have to run four matched shocks or would it be ok if I had the de Carbons (that it has at the moment) in the normal locations and something else on the extra mounts? I don't really want to take £70 worth of six month old shock absorbers off!

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2007, 09:07:06 »
you would have to get the same dampers, if one is set harder than the other the softer one would be doing nothing. i have heard of a kit that allows you to unhook your anti roll bars when your going off road and then re hook em' up when you need to. i dont know where i saw that but if you couldnt find it, it wouldnt be hard to machine up. if you dont have the facilities, i do :wink:. also, my dad has a set of shocks called "ranchos"(un used!) there fully ajustable from within the cab, from what i gather you can set them pretty hard, would you like me to have a word with him and see how much he wants for them?.....but you would haveto get a new set of mounts for them as thet fit disco2/defender and use the pin mounts

www.artoffroad.com

Guardian.

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2007, 09:32:21 »
keep going mate nearly there!
looking ace.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2007, 16:29:45 »
you would have to get the same dampers, if one is set harder than the other the softer one would be doing nothing. i have heard of a kit that allows you to unhook your anti roll bars when your going off road and then re hook em' up when you need to. i dont know where i saw that but if you couldnt find it, it wouldnt be hard to machine up. if you dont have the facilities, i do :wink:. also, my dad has a set of shocks called "ranchos"(un used!) there fully ajustable from within the cab, from what i gather you can set them pretty hard, would you like me to have a word with him and see how much he wants for them?.....but you would haveto get a new set of mounts for them as thet fit disco2/defender and use the pin mounts

It's ok, thanks for the offer though! I've heard about the ARB disconnects, the only snag I can see is that you have to grovel around in the mud underneath to connect/disconnect them. I'll just put another set of de Carbons on if I do fit dual shocks.

I tend to throw mine about a bit so if it'll handle like a boat after removing the ARBs then I'm not so keen. I've heard that it makes little difference but I'm not sure either way really.

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2007, 21:59:13 »
ok then.

quick question all,
what is that big hidous round thing on my front axle near my diff???

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2007, 22:26:40 »
A wheel? :D

Offline disco-v8

Attack Member
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2007, 23:40:44 »
ok then.

quick question all,
what is that big hidous round thing on my front axle near my diff???

its a counter weight.....

its just there to soak up the resinants/vibrations caused by the wheels/diff/prop etc

not realy needed on yours as its more of an offroader now..... not realy needed on a road disco but just helps to get rid of those little vibrations at certain speeds..... makes it a smoother ride for the driver

you most probely need to get ride of it, will just get in the way when offroading
I LOVE MUD!!!!!! but my engine doesnt

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2007, 09:06:13 »
i'll wheel you!!!!! :x *shakes fist*
 :lol:  :lol:

thanks for that, ill just leave it for now. should be more pics tomorow.

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2007, 17:25:38 »
Ok as promised i have taken some twisty pics, remember its not finished and i haven’t got dislocation on the front, also......thats sh*ts scary! i let off the clutch and went up forwards too quickley, thought it was gonna roll!!!!
it was a little higher on the front wheel too but i heard scraping and snapping from the bodywork (chop chop next week) so i let it off a little.  it is on a big pile of stones! so dont think its only 2 wheels in reality its 3 1/2ish.

there are wheels in the back because i thought the back end was a little too light and my +twos where fully extended and the x-springs were carring most of the weight

anyway enjoy :D

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2007, 17:31:22 »
One of the guys in our club has the X springs on his 90, whenever we go anywhere, his main springs don't seem to move, much like yours, it seems to me that the x springs seem to push the axle down too much, ie, they don't allow the compressed wheel to compress somehow...

Not worded that very well, but i know what i mean.....
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2007, 20:07:16 »
And thats why you've brought a flared arch kit  :wink:
Looks alright though.
Nice to see it outside
 8)
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2007, 21:16:55 »
looking really good there

do you have plans for rock sliders and any other forms of body side protection?
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2007, 22:24:28 »
jake, i know you want me to put the arch kit on but i cant figure out how to do it! they claim they match the contours of the disco(which is a stinking lie :shock: !!!) which is all well and good but im moving it up because im losing most of my wheel arch there are no contours to match......im stumped. been looking for a step by step on them but no luck :( could you ask one of the engineers at devon (tim maby, i dont know) about that raised air intake on the challange 90. are there any problems air flow or induction raw

david, i do have some rocksliders with a tree guard (bought from devon but have bearmach logos evereywhere, hmmmmmmm :? :lol:  ) i am not using them, i am not happy with them securing to the outriggers with that little plate and i dont like the fact that they hang so bloody low! im flogging them (£100 if anyones intrested) and getting some disco parts sliders instead. the disco parts ones bolt around the chassis and are made from 2"box. very strong. my dad has some and they seem to do more damage to rocks!

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2007, 18:17:50 »
diddnt really do much today, cant figure out how to take my break hoses off with out causing any damage. chopped my rear arches out earler and removed what was left of the mud flaps. appart from that i just dicked about, cant really do anything untill i get hold of another welder or some more cutting discs

QUESTION:
does front dislocation make that much difference, i have parked on 2 tyres and the rear is pretty much maxxed out and i have no dislocation on the front. is it just a bad combo of suspention parts i have chosen or does it really make that much difference?

any ideas?

was this

now this

was this

now this

me thinking its crap

me just before i decided to drive over it all! because im rubbish!

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2007, 19:06:57 »
im re doing the back of the cab. diddnt get much done because i am still with out a welder and i ran out of cutting disks. i took a few photos but before i could take any of the parts i chopped up my camera packed in :(
but you should het the idea from these pics

yes i have to put the little wheels on the back to get it out the garrage!

the sort of look im going for

www.artoffroad.com

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2007, 22:48:45 »
from them pictures, the rear end isnt flexing ( altho you might think it is )
the front end is going up the obstical, and the rear springs rather than compressing and twisting as it should
its just leaning over and compressing

just had major issues with my friends challenge disco
pickup/bobtail

it went from getting around 33 inches under the front wheel before the rear lifted to around 16 inches after  :shock:

after alot of faffing, ringing, changing, swapping springs and head scratching
we finaly got it right  8)  8)
its running + 3 inch defender rear PICK UP springs which are a completely different rate to other springs
IIRC there 205LBft
then we ditched the shocks and got some +5's
she now flex's like she used to  8)  8)
will find a picture and post it up bud
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2007, 16:28:36 »
amazing mate looks gr8

keep up good work :)

dan
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2007, 17:07:47 »
its gone to the garage today:( got the x-springs fitted and the break lines. first thing they said was new pads and discs though:(

www.artoffroad.com

Offline boss

Attack Member
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2007, 17:59:41 »
bad photos from a bad camera
arches on and so is the front x-springs and steering guard

www.artoffroad.com

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2007, 20:50:02 »