AuthorTopic: Whats what?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Fingers

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Whats what?
« on: July 08, 2007, 23:29:01 »
Hi all,

Still looking for my first off roader, and may be starting with a Zuke.

So, what to go for?

Looking around there seem to be a fair few Vitaras. So what would i look for on one? What are the weak points as i will probably go for something thats failed and need welding to keep cost down.

Will be geting a SWB, not sure if to go soft top or not.
And what about 8V or 16V. Pro's and con's?

On average, how much would a suspension kit cost and wheels/tyres to get started with. The rest ill worry abut later.

I know there a lot to answer there, but i do appreciate your time.
Cheers all, Mark

Offline Fingers

Attack Member
Whats what?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 20:16:21 »
No one?

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Whats what?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 20:32:01 »
hi mark

ok lets ee if we can help you
failing points on a vit chassis shud be sound if they do go its usually behind the petrol tank
also the body the usual wings sills and rear seat belt mounts are the 1st to go lift kits get onto fleabay look for bits4vits he's a good friend and has some really good bits of kit a very good prices

anything else just ask

simon

Offline wheelspinner

Attack Member
Whats what?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 20:57:20 »
Si

Surpised you havent got a spare vit lying about in the unit........

:D

Regards

Steve
Owner of a full  size 1000 piece Suzuki jigsaw....

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Whats what?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 21:00:53 »
not at mo but you never no in a few weeks steve you sure u dont wana use a vit shell instead of sj one :twisted:

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Whats what?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 21:02:01 »
oh yeah mark go for a 8valver too 16's are good for road use but lack the punch of the 8valve off road fit an su and ur laughing

simon

wrecker

Whats what?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 21:02:24 »
vits are great lil trucks mate,

also dont have to cost £££££s to do up for offroading,

i paid £100 for my vit,had mot,tax, got hold of wheels and tyres for £100 and made snork and light bar myself, and was great mate,used it every day too,should of kept it really :cry:  :cry:

so you dont have to spend loads to get a good offroader, :D  :D

just ask away if you need help,loads of good guys who know there stuff on here :D

mark

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Whats what?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 21:11:32 »
to many marks on ere  :shock:

like other other mark says just ask other mark :shock:

simon

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
Whats what?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 21:22:32 »
like gen-x said, chassis are 99% of the time sound, but the body work is paper thin. ive just had my "92 welded up, rear seat belt mounts, some of the floor pan, behind the front seats and there were a few bulges in the front foot wells. i also had rusty sills, i had them patched up although there not structural on vits because they have a separate chassis. however if you find one thats really bad, i picked a tip up off one of the norfolk rhinos club member, he said knock some scaffold tube down the sills and then weld them in: rock sliders! my first vit also had problems with the rear wheel arches, they were virtually non existent when i got the car, also the front wheel arches can also go. i think its generally a case of peel back the carpets to see whats lurking below them. oh yeah, and if the body is really rusted, bear in mind what everything else metal might be like, brake pipes for example.

as for 8v and 16v

the 8v comes in either a carb model or a single point injection, whereas the 16v just comes in multi point injection (i think). the 16v might have a bit better acceleration because of the multipoint injection, but to be honest there probably wont be much different between the two. the 8v might also have better low range torque, and the 16v better mid range, but again there probably not much difference.

also, like gen-x said, drop dave jones a line at bits4vits, personally im going for lifted springs rather than spacers. ive read gv springs can give a good lift if not procomp do 1"1/2 springs. as for tyres, popular choises are colway mt's and greenway machos, but im sure other people will add there favorites.
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal