AuthorTopic: Discovery 1 snorkles  (Read 12084 times)

Offline discoverytdi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2007, 22:46:02 »
Yes the hole in the wing or did you flood it with mastic
you cook your chips with it I run my truck on it. VEG OIL THE WAY FORWARD

Wolfie

Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2007, 22:53:02 »
Quote from: "Iain C"
Oh, well that totally didn't work then did it.  The post I mean, not the snorkel.  I thought I could link to images in my gallery, perhaps not!  Pix are in my gallery, help yourself!

For future reference, you need to use the URL of the image irtself, not the url of the gallery page.

In other words. right click on the image and choose properties (internet explorer, othe browsers will be similar) and then copy the url.

eg on the page
Code: [Select]
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/Iain%20C/gallery/SouthdownSnorkel/1/8c59fbfc1b4e553628718af4b4410eb1.JPG the image url is
Code: [Select]
http://members.mud-club.com/galleryimages/8c59fbfc1b4e553628718af4b4410eb1.JPG

which will give

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2007, 22:54:54 »
It's just the alloy outer wing skin you cut the hole in, it does not make a blind bit of difference...it gets wet behind there every time you drive in the rain!
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline Digsit

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2007, 12:06:48 »
Saw Iains Southdown in the flesh on Sunday.   Nice bit if kit I reckon and when the time comes I'm leaning towards one of these rather than a Safari.  Looks much less of a ball ache to fit and I LIKE IT  8)

Oh and NPW gave it the seal of approval too  :wink:
Vehicle history:
Discovery 200tdi - Charity - went past her expiry date
Discovery 300tdi - Clarity - went into rear of Audi A3
Discovery 300tdi - D'une  - went bang
Discovery TD5 - unnamed - just went

Cliff - In my own little world............visitors welcome !!

Offline Chris Putt

Attack Member
travis perkins **Branded** snorkel work in progress!!
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2007, 19:44:06 »
Having all of the front bodywork off the disco means that the 'Travis Perkins Ultimate power drainpipe snorkel kit'[/b] is going to be going on.....[/i]
'Its Gripped'
'Its sorted!'
'Lets Offroad!'

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2007, 15:34:48 »
OK then, pictorial guide.  Ignore the 250mm scaling line, Dave said it didn't matter (although I'd already dowscaled it on the PC and fitted it!#-o )

Cover the wing in masking tape, cut out the template, stick it on the truck... :?

...and draw round the hole guide leaving your masking tape with a good visible line.  Take the template off leaving just the tape which stops the drill wandering when you start drilling... [-X

Drill round the pen mark, allowing a bit of distance for the drill diameter...the pen guide marks the edge remember! :!:

Giving your drill some abuse (if it's old like mine!) "mill" out the remaining
ally...it goes very quickly if you have drilled enough holes!

Carefully file the high spots, draw filing the file sideways around the hole is less noisy and harsh and gives a better result! \:D/

Sikaflex/Jubilee the hose onto the bottom of the pipe, and drill the A pillar and loosely bolt the stainless tube into place... :-k

...and with the help of an assistant drop it gently into position with more sikaflex on the wing join, whils passing the hose inside the wing and pulling it through the forward inner wing hole with an old coat hanger whilst ignoring gaping rust hole in inner wings...  :oops:

Using loads of sikaflex bond pipe into the airbox.  Make sure it's pulled through 10mm or so and get loads of sikaflex inside the join... :-k    

Also dont forget to sikaflex all the holes in the bottom of the airbox too!  I took mine out and cleaned it first to get a good seal.  :wink:

Finally, when the sikaflex was nearly dry, I added some B&Q self amalgamting silicone tape for good measure.  :idea:  

Snorkel looks the nuts! \:D/
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2007, 16:29:50 »
Iain,
In the pic that shows the hole in the wing, there is a square hole on the inner. Did you have to cut this as well and also is that circle in the front of the inner wing where the tube feeds into the engine bay there already or not :?:

Does it have to come into the engine bay there as eventually I would like to get a split charge system and this is where the second battery will go, unless it can be placed elsewhere  :?:  :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2007, 16:38:00 »
Square hole...no...the pipe just goes forward between the inner and outer wings.

The round hole it then comes through is already there, in short you only need to cut the one hole in the alloy outer wing, 20 minutes, easy peasy.

I think it would be fairly easy to find enough room to fit both aibox and battery in the same place, using either an elbow into the current airbox inlet, or perhaps blanking it off and leading it in through another route.

And if anyone from Southdown is reading this, you owe me!!!! :D

Offline Lyndsey731

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2007, 16:46:02 »
Gareth

Both myself and discocwk have a second battery as you mention and both of us used the airbox off a 200tdi mounted higher up, I'm sure he has pictures in his gallery.

Gav

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2007, 17:32:46 »
Well the snorkel is fitted :shock:
Only as a dry run..
It needs taking off again to be fettled and powder coated but I have put some of the photos in my gallery for you to take a look .

It looks a bit high but it will look better when the roof rack goes on as the lights will be higher than the light bar is now. 8)
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline Cassillis

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2007, 20:19:33 »
Did mine today as well :D
No need to put pictures up of the build as Iain C had done such a good job.
Mine's a 200Tdi so fitting to the airbox was easier. Pop out the old plastic air scoop from the inner wing, fit the adaptor supplied to the airbox, jubilee clip and silicone. Job done!

Sunday i shall be going out to test it. :twisted:

Oh just by way of a reminder, whilst working on mine i noticed the drain on the airbox was gaping as it was old. It's the rubber 'V' shaped thing at the bottom front end. Either replace it or seal it up somehow. If you do the latter check the airbox and filter periodically.

I know from bitter experience what leaving this drain open does to Land Rover engines  :cry:
Graeme
Avise~La~Fin

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2007, 21:04:37 »
I do like the Southdown snorkel
My next off roader will have one fitted to it  :wink:
 :D
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline andrew2986

Attack Member
    • Grays Essex
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2007, 21:24:49 »
been following this thread, will be ordering  a satin finish southdown on monday
 :D
Andy
Modified V8 Discovery....now dead.. :(
300TDI slowly being rebuilt
P38 4.6 My only working landrover :)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - H.S. Thompson

Offline lee celtic

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2007, 22:18:43 »
well here we are all finished and if I say so my self it looks cool 8)

Grand total £46 not bad for a steel snorkle  :D hardest bit I think is getting the nerve to cut the wing but once you start theres no going back.

Here are some piccies and I will put the rest in my gallery later :D

If your thinking of doing a home made snorkel I'd say go for it save some cash and have a one off bit of kit  :wink:
so many hills , so little time ....
discovery TD5
work in progress...lol

Offline stuntman

Attack Member
Discovery 1 snorkles
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2007, 09:19:16 »
I'm with you lee, I've done it! Now just a wading kit to sort out  :twisted:
1989 3.5slti Mazda powered 110DC

Erm ... I've lost my keys darling ... again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal