AuthorTopic: Flash flooding  (Read 7226 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Flash flooding
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 16:14:35 »
just been for a wander down the country lanes on the way home (1 hour diversion) and found no floods at all. Even the streams that were swollen next to the road hadn't burst thier banks. How disapointing!!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 19:08:31 »
Quote from: "waterrover"
hammered down all night here , thank god i live on a boat   :)

I had a mate lived on a boat once. Got a call at work and dashed home to find the boat had sunk and his CDs were floating away down the canal.

Give me a house anyday.
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline William

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 23:08:33 »
lol thats what you get for calling a boa..The titanic haha

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 23:28:47 »
Quote from: "muckmoses"
I drove this road (who says you don't need a 4X4 for the school run).
It was about 6 inches over the bonnet.

Mick I saw that on the BBC website, but didn't go over

However I did go up Barnsdale Road on Friday evening as I'd heard that the road to Fairburn (Newton Lane) was still flooded between Lin Dyke car-park & Ledston Mill Lane

So you have to try don't you...
However I'll admit to reversing out when it got within half-an-inch of the door seals (& I hadn't even got half-way)

I didn't fancy having to possibly take all the carpet out & explain to SWMBO why I was doing, especially as I didn't really need to go through
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline chris.hunt22

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 09:10:18 »
Hey JJsaul, not all Merc drivers are the same.........mine floats!!!!!
'If in doubt, give it a clout!'

1996 Discovery Tdi XS Bright Red
Loads of mods - NOW GONE :-(

2000 Discovery Td5 ES Manual - soon to be chipped!!

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 09:24:00 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"

However I did go up Barnsdale Road on Friday evening as I'd heard that the road to Fairburn (Newton Lane) was still flooded between Lin Dyke car-park & Ledston Mill Lane

It still is. Drove it the other night. Reckon just over my sills on a lifted Maverick, didn't stop to find out, not sure the seals are that good and its a petrol so didn't want to temp fate.

It's only the bit on the corner thats flooded, the main straight to Fairburn is now dry, bet it was a sight in full flood.

As for Barnsdale road, do you know which house got people trapped in it? As far as I can think theres only the car dealer along there and he got all the cars out and up to Nordans, so how anyone can get trapped is beyond me. Other thing is thats flooded deliberately to save Cas. Theres a low point on the Levee just after the Boat (its a pub for those that don't know it) that was put in for that reason, didn't raise the road to stop it getting blocked at the same time though.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2007, 10:14:14 »
Quote from: "sptb"

It still is. Drove it the other night. Reckon just over my sills on a lifted Maverick, didn't stop to find out, not sure the seals are that good and its a petrol so didn't want to temp fate.

It's only the bit on the corner thats flooded, the main straight to Fairburn is now dry, bet it was a sight in full flood.

Yes, it was on Friday evening, as I went round through Ledston to go & have a look (that's the reason why the RSPB building at the Ings is on legs)
One of our Nurses lives in one of the houses/conversions on that bad corner & I was worried that she'd either be trapped at home (or not able to get home) if it had flooded by the RSPB building too

As for Barnsdale road, do you know which house got people trapped in it? As far as I can think theres only the car dealer along there

Sorry, no I don't. I presume you mean the one where an Air-Sea Rescue helicopter was supposedly called.
I know as much as you & heard it on 'Look North', or 'Calendar'

Other thing is thats flooded deliberately to save Cas. Theres a low point on the Levee just after the Boat (its a pub for those that don't know it) that was put in for that reason, didn't raise the road to stop it getting blocked at the same time though.

I do indeed know The Boat, & used to eat there a couple of times a month when Brian Lockwood was the landlord.

I'll bet it was a bit dire around Ulleskelfe as well??
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2007, 13:07:10 »
Just been back down there, will stick a photo up later. Lot less water in it now, didn't get a bow wave, so I assume its below the body work. was quite a sizeable one last time spreading out over the flooded fields alongside. Was down on Thursday night before so I guess its had plenty of time to dissipate.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 14:13:47 »
Just been back down there, will stick a photo up later. Lot less water in it now, didn't get a bow wave, so I assume its below the body work.

I was going to head that way on the bike this morning & nip up to the New Inn at Newthorpe for a mug of tea, but went through Wakefield instead.

(may go that way tomorrow & call at New Inn (hope it's a dry day)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 14:57:02 »
CLICK  for photo

CLICK for video

Both today, Sunday.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II

Silvery Thing

Flash flooding
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 16:53:37 »
Good grief.... I live in the South East and although we have had some heavy rain it is nothing like the photos above. It is such a shame to see that level of damage.

The stories of you lot helping out so many people is great to read.... well done guys.

marjan

Flash flooding
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 19:19:05 »

So you have to try don't you...
However I'll admit to reversing out when it got within half-an-inch of the door seals (& I hadn't even got half-way)

I didn't fancy having to possibly take all the carpet out & explain to SWMBO why I was doing, especially as I didn't really need to go through

Richard, I went through Friday in my Vitara but I must admit I was getting a bit worried when it started lapping over the bonnet, only just made it through.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2007, 22:12:57 »
Quote from: "marjan"

Richard, I went through Friday in my Vitara but I must admit I was getting a bit worried when it started lapping over the bonnet, only just made it through.

As I mentioned above, I hope it's gone down a bit by tomorrow, as I hope to ride that way to the New Inn

(unless I decide to go up to Otley instead)
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2007, 22:42:27 »
Quote from: "marjan"

As I mentioned above, I hope it's gone down a bit by tomorrow, as I hope to ride that way to the New Inn

There was a bike going through today as I got there, hasn't up to his hubs, you shouldn't have any trouble, tomorrow, we've had very little today despite the forecast.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Packington Ford
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 02:17:26 »
Done Packington Ford today (Sunday), took the Mrs for her first run due to her being pregnant for the last 9 months, now the sprogs here thought I would show her what its all about, when we got there she said oh my god it looks deep, I said no its ok been through here loads, so entered the ford the water reached the top of the bonnet within 20ft, oh shucks I thought this is deeper than I expected this could be fun, I was already thinking of how to tell her to get out release the winch cable, blah blah blah, it ended up half way up and over my bonnet, I must admit I thought a V8 in this has got no chance, but we made it with about 6" of water in the car, the guy from the corner house came out to see if we were OK which was nice of him, bet he gets this every week. so then the return leg which went well, so if your planning a dip over the next few days, make sure you have a snorkel and some good MT's on and a bit of luck. Just wish I had taken my camera with me. gutted.

P.S. its raining again as we speak :D  :?

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 09:24:28 »

Given the rather inclement weather today, I think I'll give the bike a miss :lol:
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 13:02:40 »
CLICK  for photo

Both today, Sunday.

These images were taken on Thursday evening (21st)

And on a related topic

The usual water level

Last week

I estimate that there's a 15-20 foot distance between the 2 levels
Richard A Thackeray 

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2007, 15:03:23 »
Quote from: "jjsaul"
what is it with merc drivers???

i found one in 4ft of water in a ford yesterday afternoon!!

I was up at 'Sleepless Paradises' (aka; 'Mrs Johnty') house yesterday & Johnty was telling me about a flooded section that they went through in the 90.

Apparantly as they did & went past an abandoned Yaris, it started bobbing about,as though it was floating, as their bow-wave caught it :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Apparently there is a mondeo stuck there today, Johnty passed it earlier so we thought we might pop out with the camera later if it lets up a little :roll: oh and possibly a tow rope :lol:
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline Lincs niva

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2007, 15:58:51 »
Fire brigade are pumping out down our lane now...It's been quite bad around louth today i did have to work though so no pic's

Cheers Gav
Yorkshire and Lincolnshire 4x4 Response
www.yorks-lincs4x4response.org

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2007, 16:19:53 »
Not a lot in my imediate area. Eastleigh ford had a tree stuck in it that I pushed out of the way, probobly about 1 1/2 deep atm but its rising, few nice puddles but no real flooding. Sheepwash ford should be fun though :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Flash flooding
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2007, 17:58:42 »
I've just seen a large round shiny thing in the sky. It was there for about 4 minutes and it hurt my eyes to look at it. I know that is not a light bulb, coz it be too big!
Oh Crud! Its gone again now! :roll:

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2007, 18:09:57 »
No floods around here. I went to Folkestone for the weekend to visit mates and they had a few floods but all were passable with a clio size car. :(

I want deep water to paddle in!!

It does amaze me though that the rain has brought missery to some peoples lives from flooding but to others (mainly 4x4 people) it has brought fun and the chance to help others who have been stuck in floods. who said 4x4 owners and 4x4's are no good to the country!! :lol:

If anyone knows a nice flood around Daventry / banbury way let me know please :D I will go and sit with me tow rope!

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline bilge rat

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2007, 20:11:00 »
got back from a weeks hols in cornwall , not  a  bad week . plenty of rain but sun too. the drive back yesterday with me c/van was lousy. worst trip i think ive had, no floods but the a 30 and m5 was like a stream. glad to be home. cheers alan......

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2007, 20:28:53 »
Lincs had it too...

The last photo was a Tornado, just got a shot before it went!

If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Manicminer

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2007, 20:36:23 »
We've had 48L/square M of rain in the last 12 hours. No idea what that is in inches. Feels like November
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2007, 20:40:33 »
Quote from: "bilge rat"
got back from a weeks hols in cornwall , not  a  bad week . plenty of rain but sun too. the drive back yesterday with me c/van was lousy. worst trip i think ive had, no floods but the a 30 and m5 was like a stream. glad to be home. cheers alan......

I towed my caravan back in the rain yesterday too. It was like a stream the whole way up the a2, m2, m25, m40. 4.5 hours driving in the rain. I wouldn't class it as the worst drive ever though. I think the bfg at's helped alot to displace the water.

I said to the guys at work this morning it feels like November. I hope the rain goes away soon. I want some warm weather for me holiday in 2 weeks time! :lol:

Offline old joe

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2007, 21:05:11 »
here's another 1 from bbc website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6237468.stm

Dazza
Old Joe (Dazza)

The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.

Remember each and everyone of us is gifted, it’s just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others

A Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with a Single Step.

http://www.4x4prejudice.org/

www.rsda.org.uk

http://muppets.go.com/games/muppets-flyinggonzo.html

Offline schuee

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2007, 21:40:44 »
Was called to Rufford Park today, so had a look at the ford  :shock:  :shock:

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Flash flooding
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2007, 21:47:16 »
Quote from: "old joe"
here's another 1 from bbc website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6237468.stm

Dazza

The first photo of Longlevens in Gloucester. Imagine having a snorkel. You could SO easily queue jump aload of cars there!!! Im sure they wouldnt let you back in again though :lol:

Drift

Flash flooding
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 21:49:49 »
It aint stopped raining here either, but the only bit of flooding I can find is the babies sand pit in the garden  :?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal