AuthorTopic: JImny body lift  (Read 5975 times)

Offline glaggs

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
JImny body lift
« on: May 27, 2007, 19:39:35 »
Has anyone done a body lift? and if so how succesful a mod was it. I have a 2" sping lift on mine and am considering a 2" body lift so as I can get 31" tyres on. Any constructive feed back would be appreciated.
..V..

Offline buckshot

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 20:13:30 »
Hi glaggs,hav,nt got a jimny but i did my own 2" samurai lift and i supose its pretty similar.Apart from lifting the body up on 2"blocks the main area,s you have to extend are steering bar from bulkhead ,petrol filler pipe, brake pipes to resevoir and you may have to trim the tran,s box gear stick hole as it alters the angle of the stick.Bodylift not only makes more room for tyres but it also opens up all the gaps underneath that hold mud making it easier to powerwash,Hope this helps.
aches & pains

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
JImny body lift
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 21:20:42 »
glads
i think andy whalley has a 2" body lift on his jimny from rhino central(this was b4 sj-uk took it over) you can reach him on http://www.shropshire-suzuki.co.uk his user name is andy4x4
hope this helps

simon

Offline muddypaws4x4

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 21:21:14 »
Hi glaggs.
This is my jimny with a 2" suspention lift and a 2" body lift.
The tyres are 30" and still rub with the lift I have so will still need to cut the arches about a bit.
I made my own lift kit as the commercial one I bought was crap.
Buckshot was about right with his advice. Although I didn't need to extend the petrol filler pipe. I had to modify the bumpers a bit though.

Hope this helps Muddypaws

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 21:53:43 »
Hi muddypaws. My jimny is already heavily modded, trimmed arches, winch bumper etc. but to get me through the ruts I need bigger tyres. Ialready have a trial Jimny gear reduction kit fitted which allows upto 31". I knew I would have to extend the brake lines and fuel filler. Wasn't sure what I would have to do to the steering 'cos I've had mixed reports? A bit more tec info on your lift would be aprreciated. I was going to use 50mm box to make up the spacers?

Will try and attach a pic of my truck as it looks now. Has the mod seriously affected stability off-road?
..V..

Offline muddypaws4x4

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 22:21:00 »
Hi glaggs

I did need to extend the  steering rod where it connects onto the steering motor was extended by about 12mm just above the lower joint. thats the only place I could see where it could be extended without probs.

With the original kit I bought I was told I did not need to modify the steering. I found once the body had been lifted the steering rod was under tention all the time. in my mind this could have come apart at any time( Not a good idea :evil: )

I used 2" alloy spacers and made extention studs so I could keep the rubber mounts. the front ones were easy just needed to replace the studs with longer ones. the middle ones were more of a prob, I had to cut the floor out above the studs as they are in the box section. I then drilled them out and replaced them with the longer studs which were welded back into place.
 The rear was a real cow, I could see no way of getting to the top of the studs, So I made up some extention sleeves that screwed onto the original studs.
I can see no reason why you cannot use box section, But I think I would be inclined to weld up the ends to prevent the section collapsing.
I do tend to over engineer things. i look at it like this ... If it's going to break then it aint going to be my bits :lol:  :lol:

As to the question of stability... I have found no serious probs at all, I have pushed it at times and dont think it is any worse than it was as standard with standard tyres. :shock:

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 20:43:43 »
Cheers for that Muddy
..V..

Offline bailey

Attack Member
JImny body lift
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:03:41 »
i really wouldnt botehr with a body lift for the jimny a 2 inch one doesnt sound much but it shows the chassis up so much mroe underneath looks liek uve done a 5 inch body lift when its only 2 inches id do more of a virtual lift cutting more of the arches out so tehy dont rub we have a 3inch lift and 30s with cut arches bulkhead and move the front axle forward about half an inch.
89 blue zook samurai 416: rear coils 32s and 40 inches of flex and a few more little mods

2001 blue jimny
differant coloured panels, 3 inch lift, 30inch machos,trimmed arches, front and back solid bumpers,snorkel,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal