Vehicle & Technical > Freelander

head gasket

<< < (2/2)

JeepCher53:
I have a stealership near us who have to farm out servicing to a local garage from time to time to keep up with demand! I don't think I'm supposed to know this juicy fact but it makes you wonder how this warranty thing stands up?
I have taken both Freelanders to the "other garage" because he's half the price and actually fixes what I ask for during the servicing and he services the vehicles to Land Rover Service standards! My vehicle is an 00 reg and under warranty (as a used vehicle from Land Rover) so if the stealership ever question the service record I will simply ask if they can prove they carried out the service themselves or did the other guy!! :shock:

V8MoneyPit:
Despite the fact we like the Freelander we have, we are seriously considering trading it in for a TD4 as soon as we can afford to. Watching the temperature gauge verges on the dangerous at times!

It's a shame, because the 1.8 K series is a great engine..... in theory. But this problem with head gasket failure, and subsequent liner movement, is inexcusable with modern design techniques. It should have been predicted long before any metal was cut. We had programmes at Lotus years ago that could model such things with amazing accuracy. I don't know what Lotus did with the engine but they are extracting loads of extra power and don't seem to suffer the same problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version