AuthorTopic: Another Anti-4x4 TV Programme!  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Eeyore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Another Anti-4x4 TV Programme!
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 13:27:36 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"
If they made 4x4's as ugly as Mr Sargent then no one would buy them  :lol:  :lol:

They call them 'Ssangyong's, and very few people do!  :lol:  :lol:

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 14:57:51 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"
Bet they had Ed on the show because Vince would have more than likely told Mr Sargent he was a pillock  :lol:  :lol:

And I bet John Carrol said a whole lot more than the five words they edited in!!!

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 15:56:46 »
I bet they edited alot out he would of shot the program to bits
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline buttonmonkey

Attack Member
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 16:09:50 »
Well I've logged my complaints with OFCOM and ITV.

Program was a complete pile of (insert own expleative here)
86 90 Truck Cab 2.5 petrol, pieni pelti peto
06 Freelander HSE 3DR

http://www.megaraffle.co.uk/index.asp

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2007, 17:18:40 »
The justification for making this one hour prog was summed up by his last statement "I'm Not biased, I just don't like them" ???????????? A very balanced bit of reasoning then, and how much did that cost ITV?
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2007, 17:54:34 »
So this is the same programme that wanted our input???? Sounds like they put the pro 4x4 arguments to good use .... NOT!

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=28985

If you skip to the end if this thread....
Did JeepRikk get on the programme?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 18:58:58 »
Another complaint sent to OFCOM and ITV1.  :(bigangry):  :(bigangry):
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

Offline CJ

Attack Member
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2007, 14:43:18 »
My complaints to ofcom and itv sent through today...  :evil:
be warned the curley haired one is here !

www.lrbreakers.com

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2007, 15:21:48 »
This is my letter to ITV:

I just thought I would let you know that I have registered a complait with ofcom regarding the above programme. I was digusted with the way it was biased and misleading with incorrect facts and experiments that are out of date. This was a clear breach of section 7 of the television broadcast codes. Lets take the crash test, conducted on mid 1980 cars that have very limited safety devices compaired to moderm cars. There was no mention that the children who stood behind the 4x4 could also not be seen or potential killed head on with other vechiles like taxis,mpvs,lorrys,vans, the list goes on. Then there is the climate change, No.1 thing for climate change are aeroplanes, then China with all the smog from old cars that would fail an MOT before its even got near the test centre but again its 4x4's that get teh brunt of this. Are you aware that most 4x4's have emissions on par or slightly higher than most cars on the road. My 4x4 is actually better for the enviroment that Tony Blairs and the Queens fleet of big engined Jaguars. In fact my 4x4 does more MPG than my old petrol ford focus and the 4x4 is only marginally longer than it.
There is growing support will all 4x4 organisations, clubs and websites about this propergander and we now feel that action must be taken against these unfactual programmes. We expect that a full appology be given with regards to this programme and also a time slot that equals this programme to give our point of view. It's funny that if race is attacked and basically turned into a hate war then all hell brakes loose but it's ok to do the same when it comes to a minority of road users.
I expect a reply from yourselves with 7 days
regards
gareth.
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2007, 16:10:06 »
My Two penneth!

""I would like to express my concern at a program I have just watched called “driving me crazy” on ITV 1.  The program was aired to show the problems created by 4x4 vehicles, but it is my belief that the program did not give a balanced outlook on the vehicles and also used “tests” that could not be classed as a true test.

During the program three owners of 4x4 vehicles were asked to perform various tests which included:-

Reversing of the 4x4 vehicle around a corner as performed in a driving test.  This test insinuated that the driver would be able to perform this task successfully in a none 4x4 vehicle as they had performed it correctly to pass their driving test.  I call serious doubt onto this fact as they were at no time asked to prove they could perform the task in any other vehicle.  When any person passes a driving test they perform it successfully because they have practiced and prepared.  I believe that anyone that does not reverse in this way on a regular basis would struggle, no matter what vehicle they were in and as such the program used this item in a misleading way.

View from the rear of the vehicle.  Again I consider this test to be misleading.  I would like to know how many children have been involved in accidents with people driving 4x4’s reversing into them.  What is the point in making a comparison if the fact is not significant.  Also, imagine the line of children you could have behind any vehicle that has no rear window or a view that is obstructed due to head rests (which are fitted in many “standard” vehicles) or items on the parcel shelf.  Lets face it, you could have a Vauxhall Astra van (not very big at all) with no rear window and put an international rugby team behind it and you would not see them either.

As for destroying the climate, surely it is not the type of vehicle you use but the amount of fuel you use in it.  You may have the best MPG you can get but if you use three gallons per day rather than three gallons per week who is destroying the climate?  I also heard somewhere that of all Land Rovers produced it is believed that 60 to 70% of them are still in use.  If this is the case you must also take into consideration any emissions that are saved by not having to produce more vehicles to replace them!  The fact is that the program compared 4x4’s to smaller vehicles only and yet sporting and luxury model cars have a fuel consumption to match (or worse than) many 4x4’s.

I own a Range Rover, its quite old and I usually only use it at weekends (I am lucky in that I can afford to run this second vehicle).  I do not use it for going to work, shopping, school runs, posing or causing a general nuisance.  The vehicle is used for access to a club which would not be accessible with a normal car (however economical it would be) and also to collect dogs from a local animal sanctuary as they will not fit in my car.

It is my belief that the program was made in a manor that will turn people against me when I drive 4x4.  I also believe it will encourage some self-righteous people to vandalise my vehicle and act in an abusive manor toward me.  And then when John Sergeant used the comment (on owning a 4x4) “is it about sex?”.  Well, he may be insecure in that department but I am not, and I do not want a program like this insinuating that the reason I drive a 4x4 is for that reason.

Overall I found the program very offensive in its bias against me.  In my opinion this program may provoke people into acts of vandalism, damage, abuse and even possible situations that may escalate into violence.  It is my opinion that the program has been made in such a was as to try and provoke a response, which I do not feel is a responsible way for the media to act.  It is in this frame of mind that I write this letter and ask that Ofcom take action against the program makers.""

A bit long inded but I did not want to come accross as hot headed.

For the sake of us all, I would ask anyone who thinks they can to make such a complaint as the more complaints the more likely action will be taken.

Regards

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2007, 19:44:01 »
why cant i wright like that 8)  8)
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2007, 20:14:16 »
The above letter by Dr Strangeglove was very well put together  :!:  :!:
I feel it says what most of use or I were thinking,It was also written just like the way my dad puts a letter together for me thats frightening :shock:
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2007, 01:02:46 »
Had a reply back from ITV:

Mr Williams,

Many thanks for your email which has been passed on to me by our Duty Office.    

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to comment on the programme - we are always pleased to hear from viewers.      I am sorry that you thought the programme was biased.    Ã¢â‚¬Å“Driving Me Crazy” is a series of personal view programmes and the opinion expressed in each episode is that of its presenter, in this case, John Sergeant.   During this exploration we did present a balanced argument with interviews with the editor of 4x4 magazine and a representative from the Society of Motor Manufacturers, who put opposing points of views.  John also test drove a 4x4 and chatted to a sales representative to provide another side of the story.

As you have already made a complaint to Ofcom I’m afraid I can’t discuss the individual points made in your letter.    I do, however, hope that you continue to watch the rest of the series.  

Best wishes,

Yvonne Alexander

Anyone think of a reply back...... :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline chris.hunt22

Attack Member
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2007, 11:10:12 »
I watched it and sky plussed it....i'm glad I did as I missed a lot of it shouting at the TV with the wife giving me ear ache not to wake our son up!! I can see everyones problems with the program, yeah fair play, 4x4's on the school run that obviously don't ever go offroad are a bit of a waste of time and are on the whole what give us '4x4 using and abusing' bunch a bad name and bad light in the press, the whole program was mega one sided and the people it showed were to be fair typical urban morons, I liked the fact that the kids standing behind the 4x4 went smaller the furthur they went back, must get a bigger suspension lift so they don't bang there heads on the back bumper!!

The only thing I have got out of it and the only action I am taking as a result of the program is to knock my diesel pump back again (the smoke on booting it must be helping towards the anti's protests when they see it!!)

The whole problem of 4x4 image is only going to get worse and there is only going to be more pressure against us to go out and buy 'normal' cars especially now Mr. Brown is going to be our new decision making man :roll:  As long as we all stick together we can fight it (remember the HGV fuel tax protests......4x4's unite!!!!)

Rant Over :lol:
'If in doubt, give it a clout!'

1996 Discovery Tdi XS Bright Red
Loads of mods - NOW GONE :-(

2000 Discovery Td5 ES Manual - soon to be chipped!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal