AuthorTopic: Another Anti-4x4 TV Programme!  (Read 7536 times)

Offline dreadnought110

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Another Anti-4x4 TV Programme!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 21:54:34 »
here we go shock tactic's now how much lower can we go?? :? Oh lets go Look at small 4x4's....Oh no we'll look at yank tank's the complete extreme.. :oops:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 21:55:56 »
TIKI AL ! I've got the spike nice & sharp !!!!I traded in a mondeo zetec s 2.0L for my Terrano, best thing I've done! :D I get better miles to the gallon in the Terrano than I ever got in the mondie, I only got 22mpg in that thing! My wife has back probs & I have probs with my legs , we can now get in & out of the terrano. Mines not much bigger than my dad's astra & alot easier to park at the shops . sorry for the rant
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline defuzz

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 21:57:24 »
coming up after the break, 4x4s and why they caused the holocaust, kill kittens and shout nasty names at old grannies.

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 21:57:52 »
Oh send him out in a LHD when he's used to RHD!! i'd get out his way to!!! :shock:
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline POTASH

Attack Member
    • cheshire
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 22:05:04 »
i hope no one on here drives a 4x4 :lol:
discovery200tdi homemade snorkel
                        homemade steering guard
                  homemade tank guard 
                  homemade light bar

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 22:05:34 »
Quote from: "defuzz"
no one appears to be questioning why she drives her and her children 2 hours to get to school???  Surely a 2 hour drive to school in ANY car is bad????

and now we're on to the crash test....

Time to move house???? :idea:  :idea:

Just a load of rubbish. is there going to be a sequal where it has a pro 4x4 presenter..... doubt it  :roll:
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 22:07:02 »
Just watched it load of tripe.
Heard it all before
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 22:10:22 »
my friends dad drives 38T lorries, a car pulled out a junction & under the trailler, He said " it felt like going over a speed bump untill looking in his mirrow & there was a flat heep in the road.If they had put a 4x4 against a 38Tonner the same out come would of happened

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 22:10:25 »
If I start my jeep tomorrow morning, does that mean the world will end and we shall die in fire and brimstone?  :(vamp):
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 22:14:01 »
just started mine up so the world is ending NOW :(bigsmoke):

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 22:15:58 »
had my rant to ofcom

i really think the views was of the person making the programme and not the general public. i drive a j reg 4x4 range rover classic the emmisions are very low we use this every day and for our hobby and to tow our holiday home it is very versitile i put less in money in my rrc than some one i work with who has a new mini copper, of course if you put children of that size bahind most motors thay will not be seen have any of you ever stoped behind a lorry or bus so you can see his mirror if not try it as if you can't see thier mirror then they can't see you. i think this show was very biased and did not give the two sides of the anti-4x4 situation 4x4's are geared lower so in traffic jams are more environmently freindly than a most estate cars

debbie
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 22:18:38 »
Right thats it i,m going out to set fire to my 4x4.Oh best not as it might wipe out a sml country in a flood that the co2 produced from the fire.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 22:35:34 »
I just nipped out and started all five landy's  :evil:

So if you are reading this you have just missed the end of the world  :twisted:
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Drift

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 22:51:36 »
The kids at the rear was the only valid argument, to be fair.
But you wouldn't see then if you where sitting in a VX zafera  
Also any one who reverses at a speed that could knock anyone down needs a kicking anyway  

Anyone notice all the so called 4x4 cars where 4 liter plus petrol engines  

Typical bias journalists who want to jump on a band wagon for a few bucks.
All stories in the media should show two sides but alas in this free democracy we live in the media rule, and the goverment follow

Offline Tiki Al

Attack Member
    • Hanworth
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 22:53:32 »
i live so close to work now i can easily walk it in 10 mins

for the next month or so i'm going to drive instead  :twisted:  and go the long way

Offline Tiki Al

Attack Member
    • Hanworth
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 22:58:35 »
did anyone continue on itv after the rantings

"teen boob jobs" what a way to take your mind off it  :oops:

Offline CJ

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 23:10:44 »
today i started my truck and drove to work...

and killed 12 sweet white kittens,
4 members of some obscure species ive never heard of
and a small unpopulated area of ice...

:evil:
be warned the curley haired one is here !

www.lrbreakers.com

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 23:11:41 »
dont know what is sadder those teens or anti 4x4 people who need to take a good look in the mirror
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

Offline Tiki Al

Attack Member
    • Hanworth
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 23:12:40 »
probably me for watching both prog's  :!:

muddymart

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 23:14:51 »
Anyone notice all the so called 4x4 cars where 4 liter plus petrol engines

ive just come back from a week in turkey, and i was amazed at the amount of older cars and 4x4's that were petrol and lpg,

and we are  talking ford cortinas,fiat 131's renault 12's and the landrover's and the jeeps were also lpg converted, and you think our roads are bad over here !! :D

Drift

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2007, 23:48:45 »
By the way was that fella on the anti 4x4 program Jo Brands Dad  :?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2007, 07:21:37 »
I agree with what everyone has said, its a shambles, is that a cross section of 4x4 drivers then cause there ain't many Escillades up by me :?:

I was worried earlier on when driving the Disco to work that I may have sped up global warning and I either started a forest fire somewhere or maybe a polar ice cap melted - Scary stuff  :lol:

Still there is always here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/progs/

Now do I choose "A specific programme" or "Harassed by jounalists"  :shock:

Looking at this, section 7 of the broadcast codes
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/fairness/
It's all blah blah blah, hmm hand on....
Principle
To ensure that broadcasters avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes.

Opportunity to contribute and proper consideration of facts
7.9 Before broadcasting a factual programme, including programmes examining past events, broadcasters should take reasonable care to satisfy themselves that:

material facts have not been presented, disregarded or omitted in a way that is unfair to an individual or organisation; and
anyone whose omission could be unfair to an individual or organisation has been offered an opportunity to contribute.

Is there a case here...... :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline sleeplessparadise

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2007, 07:37:06 »
Well werent his closing words something like "Noone will change my mind, I just hate them!" Surely that just shows how biased he is :?
Helen aka Sleeplessparadise aka Mrsjohnty
defender 90 Td5 LilRed  SIIa 109 Stationwagon Bluebell
NBH LOC

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2007, 07:53:01 »
Just put my complaint into ofcom:

Subject: Breach of section 7 of the broadcasting codes.

This programme was completely unfactual and was intended to divide road users with a hate campain of 4x4 drivers. To do this the programme used incorrect facts & name calling. We feel unjustily targeted as a hate figure as a road user. Facts were omitted from the programme i.e. carbon offsets that 4x4 manufactors are now doing and also when size was mentioned, facts were again ommited to show that most 4x4's actualy take up LESS room on the roads than most family saloon, estates. It also showed climate change and tried to persude the viewer that this was caused by 'gas guzzlers' Did they mention that most diesel 4x4's like mine will do 38 mpg, that a lot less than most sports and executive cars, was this mentioned NO. Not so much a gas guzzler now is it? Then there was the child behind the car test. Did they mention that this would also be the case with buses, lorries, vans, taxi's or a car loaded so you couldn't see out of the rear NO.
The crash test was a mid 80's shogan that true is built like a brick but most 4x4's now have been designed better to avoid this, the fact that they sped it up rather than breaking like you would do is again portrays us as killing machines. The cross section of 4x4 drivers were in my eyes selected to show the viewers us as non caring morans who drivers fastly and aggresively. Even the driving instuctor didn't make any allowances for the fact that he wasn't used to that car, size of car etc.
As you say, section 7 of the broadcast codes and I quote:
Principle
To ensure that broadcasters avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes.

Well in my eyes this has been breached and I would like the programme makers to make a full appology to 4x4 drivers for now making them a figure to be harrased on the british roads.

Offline waveydavey

Attack Member
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2007, 08:49:26 »
1 more to Offcom.
Note, no reference to my vehicle, just to biased reporting.

I believe that the programme as above was Biased, Vindictive and designed to incense hatred towards a specific segment of the population.

The programme had various examples cited against certain individuals however none of the ‘experiments’ had any sort of control.
Drivers were removed from their usual vehicles and shown to be not comfortable driving another car. This would apply to most people.
Drivers who were years out of passing their driving tests were shown to struggle with test manoeuvres. Again had this been repeated with most drivers in most cars the results would be similar.
A ‘visual demonstration’ was used for CO2 production against an ‘small car’. No justification was given to this, we do not know what the small car was and the producers chose some of the largest engines on the UK roads. The fact is that many 4x4’s have lower carbon emissions than many ‘ordinary cars’. A good example is that the Landrover Freelander has a lower carbon footprint than the BMW Mini used in the programme. This is without the Land Rover CO2 offset programme.

If required I could give many more similar examples however I believe that if reasonable and objective person were to watch this programme then these would be self evident.

I believe that the producers and broadcasters should issue a formal apology to affected people and in addition a company such as Land Rover should be given the opportunity to use equivalent airtime to supply more accurate facts based upon equivalent and controlled conditions.
P38 Range Rover (BMW !!!)
Off Road camping Trailer - SA Design
And a boat - if you can call QM2 a boat?

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2007, 09:13:02 »
Quote from: "SWEETY"
my friends dad drives 38T lorries, a car pulled out a junction & under the trailler, He said " it felt like going over a speed bump untill looking in his mirrow & there was a flat heep in the road.If they had put a 4x4 against a 38Tonner the same out come would of happened

my friend was hit by a oil tanker last week on a motor way on his way back from bulgaria he was driving a nissan 4x4 which was a total mess but they only had glass cuts
my first coment was glad that they didnt take there bmw as they would have been killed
the tanker driver shook his hand and was glad they were in a 4x4 he said he didnt see them passing him
and they have bought a shogun till the insurance pays out

i like driving my 4x4 and as its a 1988 model on lpg and i do low milage i dont think a biast program is going to change my mind also my family want 4x4s when they pass there driving test and those that drive also have 4x4s we have a disco 2 rangies a shogun a frontera and a fiat panda
and we fly for holidays
so when we have a nice warm spring and summer you can all thank my family for the global warming
(did any one see the program on ch4 a while back the great global warming conspiricy CO2 dont make global warming its a by product of the effects of warming)
when i was at school we were told we were heading for another ice age so what has changed(POLITICS)
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:20 »
Ofcom is the way to go as enough complaints will make them take action  :wink:

Offline crusader

Attack Member
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2007, 11:33:44 »
Quote from: "defuzz"
dreadnought, I think your avatar adequatley describes what we are doing to the world with our gas guzzlers.  I for one ran over 23 penguins and an endangered siberian tiger today and I can't be the only one.......

Totally Agree! I was the one that Killed the Cow with my Bullbar! :lol:

And what i would like to know is?

Did the Producers of this Programme get Permission from FIFTH GEAR for showing the Crash Test between the Shogun/Civic? :shock:
Cheers The  Rev Nevil g Draper Licensed and Ordained Minister of the Force........

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2007, 11:34:12 »
Said my piece to OFCOM...anyone counting....?

I was appalled at the tactics employed by this programme in the way they represented 4x4's.
There were a number of "tests" carried out to "prove" that a 4x4 is bad, one of which was three "representative" 4x4 drivers reversing around a corner. The programmes argument was that the fact that the vehicle was a 4x4 was the cause of two drivers failing this manouvre. I believe this represents clear bias as I would argue the cause is lack of skill or attention of the driver.
Further, the programme showed a number of video clips to the three drivers of flooding, forest fires and other weather phenomenon. The argument put to the drivers was that their vehicles were contributing to global warming leading to the demonstrated weather effects. This was omission driven by bias. They failed to give accurate statistics comparing the contribution of 4x4's against that of other vehicles. In particular the fact that many 4x4's are more efficient than some people carriers, executive saloons and sports cars.
The prgramme also regularly refered to the size of 4x4's, building the picture of 4x4'sa as too big for the road (happily for them they managed to find a 4x4 driver with an escalade). They failed to point out that many 4x4's are no larger than typical family saloon's or executive.
I believe in the right of individuals to have an opinion and make that opinion public. I will fight for their right to do so. What I am gravely concerned about is an individual using their access to the media to promote their own opinion thorugh innaccurate, biased arguments particularly when they fail to provide all the information.

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2007, 13:21:41 »
If they made 4x4's as ugly as Mr Sargent then no one would buy them  :lol:  :lol:

Vince Cobley's got a MUD number plate  8)  good on you Vince, nice one  8)  8)  Bet they had Ed on the show because Vince would have more than likely told Mr Sargent he was a pillock  :lol:  :lol:

Are all 4x4's shiny? I mainly see kitted up 4x4's round by me and on the way to work  :wink:  They easily outnumber the shinies, so why were there none in this program  :roll:
Lee from Brum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal