AuthorTopic: Vitara lands tomorrow!  (Read 8712 times)

Offline cotefarmboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« on: April 26, 2007, 17:26:54 »
Finally after much contemplation the replacement for my old Disco off-roader comes tomorrow in the shape of a 98 Vitara 1.6i SWB. Lifted by 3" (Calmini) and sporting 31x10.5x15 tyres plus a winch bumper it should be fun  :D

Had LR's of one shape or another for the last 10 years or so, this will be a big change, can't wait to get it dirty at Tong on May 20th, hope I don't break it!
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

marjan

Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 19:05:38 »
Welcome to the world of reliable 4x4's mate. You won't need to carry half a ton of spare parts any more  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 19:43:43 »
That's what I'm hoping for!!

LR's are great but boy are they high maintenance  :shock:
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 20:43:59 »
Managed to escape into town to do some shopping for SWMBO :twisted:  so I thought... oh have a nip out on two local lanes :lol: I took the Vitara as the Grand Vitara is being repaired, it did very well great fun, wonder how many bit fell off?? LOL none I think.

I'm pleased with mine so far. :lol:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 21:14:39 »
andy
one word of caution m8 dont push ur new toy if im reading ur top post its got a 3" calmini super articulation kit fitted as im sure others on here will back me up this pressure this kit puts on the front axle is imense IMHO bin the big blue kit and fit the pro-comp 1.5" kit and some coil extension ur get 2.75" with this combo it seems to give the front axle less stress
but like i said just my opinion

simon

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 22:55:33 »
Quote from: "generation-x"
andy
one word of caution m8 dont push ur new toy if im reading ur top post its got a 3" calmini super articulation kit fitted as im sure others on here will back me up this pressure this kit puts on the front axle is imense IMHO bin the big blue kit and fit the pro-comp 1.5" kit and some coil extension ur get 2.75" with this combo it seems to give the front axle less stress
but like i said just my opinion

simon

Simon, I have no idea what you are talking about mate

Seriously though - this happened within 5 minutes of 1st testing the truck after fitting the Calmini kit!!

Either do as Simon says (sorry no pun intended) or get a steel front axle from a Grand Vitara, as I have.

- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 16:00:59 »
Oh great  :evil:

Just picked it up and now there's a post saying it will break. Removing the blue stuff won't be easy as it looks as though various bits of the suspension arms etc have been swapped. Does fitting a GV front axle really sort it and it is it much of a job?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 16:49:50 »
I don't get it, If Fitting the Calmini kit kills the car so quick how come they can sell it?
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 16:53:29 »
I agree, that seems crazy, if the kit is sold it should fit the purpose. Looked under it and the front prop seems to go into the diff pretty straight, it has various bits of blue metal correcting the angles etc. Rear one is pretty steep though.

Got a price for a GV front axle, £350 all in, seems an awful lot, should I wait until I break it first?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline MrShogun

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 16:58:31 »
not sure mate, does it occur to every vit that has had a calmini lift fitted or what??? Does seem a trifle strange!

Matt

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 17:18:31 »
Frankly Calmini are t*&&£&&

I fitted the 3" super artic....... kit, took the truck to a field, drove up a slight slope (not even a hill) in 4WD, the front left wheel lost traction slightly in a bit of sand, slip - grip - slip - grip BANG!!!! that was the end of the front ali axle.

To be honest I wouldn't fit this kit again if you paid me.  But it's on the truck now and it's working OK.

The steel front axle conversion is straightforward enough and gives you a completely steel front end including 3rd member.  The ring/pinions in the GV are different to my 5.125:1 so I had to change them out, the side gears from the GV were 26 spline not 22, so I changed them too.

Personally I wouldn't drive off-road without a steel front axle, but that's just MHO :)  It might last forever, it might last 5 minutes.

I've known Vitaras to break front axles that don't have the Calmini kit fitted.  It's a week part of the vehicle.  So is the Calmini rear rose joint, but that's another story :)

- Project SE416 -

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 17:23:24 »
Quote from: "Damon"

The steel front axle conversion is straightforward enough and gives you a completely steel front end including 3rd member.  The ring/pinions in the GV are different to my 5.125:1 so I had to change them out, the side gears from the GV were 26 spline not 22, so I changed them too.

OK now I am lost, not a mechanic I'm afraid, what does this mean? Can I just buy the complete GV axle and diff and fit it or do I need more parts?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 17:32:30 »
Quote from: "cotefarmboy"

OK now I am lost, not a mechanic I'm afraid, what does this mean? Can I just buy the complete GV axle and diff and fit it or do I need more parts?

You'll need to change the ring/pinion and possibly the side gears depending on which ones you're running at the moment :)

Unfortunately it's not a straight swap :( as the GV runs different ratios.
- Project SE416 -

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 17:34:04 »
basically the diffs on the gv are geared different to the vit, so you have to change them. also, the axles are different too.

its either a diy job or you could buy this

Edit: dammit, damo beat me to the reply :)
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 19:06:50 »
ive just seen your post on difflock, us mudclubers not good enough for you :o  :P

OK, It's here, seems OK at first glance but there are one or 2 issues that I need help with please as I haven't owned one of these before.

1. Oil is leaking from the rocker cover, is this common and is it worth fixing?

2. Car has a 3" Calmini suspension lift and I am hearing horror stories about broken front diffs, should I suck it and see or fit a GV front axle?

3. It looks to be toeing in slightly at the front, I guess this is due to the lift, does it need correction bushes/bolts etc?

the only thing i can help with is the 'toeing in'. sounds like your cambers out, dave jones at bits4bits does camber adjustment bolts, might be worth looking into them Link
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 19:25:54 »
Hey it's always nice to get a second opinion  :D

The 'anvil' axle case looks a good bit of kit, will call them tomorrow for a price.
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 20:11:15 »

You'll need to change the ring/pinion and possibly the side gears depending on which ones you're running at the moment :)

Unfortunately it's not a straight swap :( as the GV runs different ratios.

But do I have all the bits, ie I swap diff pinion etc from mine into the GV casings etc?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 20:45:01 »
hi andy
im not saying you WILL break ur front axle its just imo as damon has said we wud now not fit the big blue kit.
not to scare you in anyway but just to advise you on possible problems that cud happen wot we dont want is for it to happen and you come back saying the vitara is a load of crap. we just want to help you.
as ur new to the suzuki clan i can give out a few names and numbers that other zook owners im sure will confirm
me calmini kit 10 ally axles then went to sammy live conversion
dave jones in superzuki 10 axles then went to gv steel axle
simon macdonald in tonka-toy 11 axles then went to steel
all after this no more breakages
when i did my first axle i had same thoughts as u i think why fork out prob £450 for full gv conversion when you can buy ally axles for about £30 each. yeah you can get maybe 10 for the price of the gv axle but then you have to figure in the down time and the fact when u have broke ur axle ur be on  pay and play site and most likely payed £30 to play plus petrol so it does soon add up.
again im not trying to scare you just to imform you to the possibiltys

simon

Offline MrShogun

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 07:55:11 »
i think i want to do this now!  :shock:

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 10:22:56 »
The anvil job looks a good move, again forgive my ignorance but what is the 3rd member? The anvil kit says it uses the stock ali 3rd member housing and i haven't a clue what that is?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 11:18:53 »
The anvil job looks a good move, again forgive my ignorance but what is the 3rd member? The anvil kit says it uses the stock ali 3rd member housing and i haven't a clue what that is?

The bit sticking out of the back of the axle (with the prop-shaft flange) is the 3rd member, it's the diff carrier if you like :)

Pointless waste of time replacing the axle for steel and keeping the ali 3rd member in my humble opinion :)

The Calmini Anvil Axle will set you back about £600, you'll need TWO passenger side driveshafts.  It's an excellent set up but.............

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered from LA Supertrux.  I ordered it last May.  Yes May 2006!!!  I got my money back in September and I'm still waiting for the phone call to say it's arrived!!!!!

Plus Calmini conveniently forget to inform you that you have to drill/tap your own breather into the axle, buy another bearing for the axle (the part number that they eventually gave me was incorrect and I'm still waiting for the correct number 9 months down the line)

as you can see in their picture, only one bearing is supplied.  Plus the short driveshaft that's supplied is 26 spline, so you'll need a 26 spline solid driveshaft for the passenger side and 26 spline sidegears for the diff.

That's why I fitted a GV steel axle and 3rd member :)

Don't all rush out and buy the Anvil Axle unless you've got the 3" super articulaion kit already fitted.
- Project SE416 -

Offline MrShogun

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 11:24:44 »
this is all starting to get rather complicated :lol:

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2007, 13:13:14 »
Anyone want to buy a Vitara?

I have taken on more than I wanted with this!
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

wrecker

Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2007, 17:58:25 »
dont get rid of it just yet mate,dont do nothing you dont want to mate (dont want to upset any one here bye saying that :oops: ) like some have said,it could last untill you get rid of it ,just suck it and see what happends,they are all trying to help you and forwarn you what could happen,hope this helps mate cos vits are great fun to drive and own :D  :D

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2007, 18:27:47 »
a vitara will reward in the long run, just stick with it and see what happens. all cars will create problems when you mod them to extremes. just remember there are plenty of people about who can help
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 19:09:27 »
Of course I will be sticking with it (only kidding about selling!) it will get a work out up at Tong on May the 20th and I'll see how she fares. Ground clearance is pretty awesome and with huge MT's it will go a lot further than my stock 300 TDi Disco did  :D
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

wrecker

Vitara lands tomorrow!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 19:56:48 »
glad to hear that mate :D if its your first time out in one you will see how good they are :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal