AuthorTopic: rear door sill rust- is it just me  (Read 3734 times)

Offline johnknights

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
rear door sill rust- is it just me
« on: October 08, 2003, 09:13:15 »
My 1992 5 door Disco has taken plenty of abuse in its 230,000+ miles, and having read eslewhere about the rear floor panel rusting through, I was pleased to find mine in good shape- maybe the religious application of waxoyl does help.
I was really suprised when the rear door sill (the bit between the rear carpet and the bumper edge trim) fell through and having "cleaned it up" find that all that rear panel was rust ridden and fell apart- including the breaking away of the rear door stay.
The Land rover garage has never heard of these going before (the replacement panel is only £285+vat) and so I have had to make one from scratch.
I was wondering was it just mine? and what's likely to have caused it?
tia
John

Offline George the Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 12:49:27 »
You're not the only one.

At some time mines been doen as well but by a previous owner so I can't give a reason as to what caused the rust.

Chris
Now: 51 plate Freelander Commercial.
Then: G Reg 200tdi Disco, 182,500 miles, 35ish mpg, Stickers, Home made snorkle, Deflex Bushes, Blah, blah, blah...

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: rear door sill rust- is it just me
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 12:54:17 »
Quote from: "johnknights"
The Land rover garage has never heard of these going before

Yeah right !!!

It is not an uncommon fault on Discoveries.  My 200 Tdi had a similar problem, and you often hear of vehicles where there is a perpetual 'damp-patch' under the rear carpet.

I never did track down whether the water was entering from above or below, but it just sits under the carpet, or under the plastic trim and festers.

I just removed the carpet and trim every summer and gave it all a good clean up and paint...  that seemed to slow it down.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnknights

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 00:42:58 »
I haven't actually pulled up the sound proofing on the rear floor section, only the back couple of inches while working on the rear sill, my rear floor seemed fine and dry, it also looks ok from underneath, but the step is a right mess, completely gone through, allowing the door check strap to break free. If i get chance I'll take a piccy of it as I plan to weld it up on Monday, now I have bent up lots of nice replacement bits rather than pay £300+ for the LR bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal