AuthorTopic: 40mph steering Judder  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Grinch

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
40mph steering Judder
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:51:44 »
Got a judder on my Jimny.  It happens between 35 and 40 mph.
I can be accelerating, braking, coasting or driving and the steering wheel judders left to right.  On hard braking the judder become severe. lighter braking makes it more noticable.

ive checked the bearings and they are ok, no play at all, and all the rod ends are in good health.  Any and all ideas please.

The Jimny is lifted, but has a home made castor correction on it to put the castor back to stock.  Im running 235/70R15 AT's

Cheers

Matt
My universe is 24 hours long and 10 feet wide.  If it happens outside of those parameters, I probably dont know about it.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
40mph steering Judder
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 13:11:25 »
Wheel balance?

Rabbit did this, months of being ok then gradually went from annoying to worrying, got her balanced and tracked up and it all went away.

Could be a warped disk or contaminated pads too.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
40mph steering Judder
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 18:01:41 »
i was reading somewhere that having a body left can create a resonace in the car. ive heard it can happen with calmini kits. yeah check your wheel balance, ive got a nissan micra and at 65+ my steering wheel shakes alot. i should really get them fixed
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
40mph steering Judder
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 21:13:26 »
I've got a similar problem, and I guess its wheel ballance as none of them are at moment. Its one of this weekends projects so I'll let you know. All bearings seem OK, tie rods also seem OK. Rear radius arm bushes are shot - also one of this weekends projects as is starting a body lift!
..V..

Offline Grinch

Attack Member
40mph steering Judder
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 15:21:55 »
Cheers fellows.  im thinking its the tracking as it goes away if i turn the wheel....

Matt
My universe is 24 hours long and 10 feet wide.  If it happens outside of those parameters, I probably dont know about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal