AuthorTopic: Dog rough idle  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dog rough idle
« on: April 04, 2007, 13:49:04 »
After all the fun and games getting her back on the road Rabbit's idle is now dog rough, feels like I'm sat in an old 200TDI landie (ducks for cover)

It almost sounds like 1/2 cylinders arent firing. Timing is bang on, no vac/evhaust leaks, comression is good in all 4 cylinders. Runs perfectly once its off idle its silky smooth, pulls well, no missing or hesitation. Shen its in fast idle as it warms up its fine too.

I'm thinking carb might be out of adjustment or just plain rooted :(

Any ideas?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
Dog rough idle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 14:40:17 »
have you got the original carb in it? if so, take it out, throw it away and replace it with either a nikki, webber or an su
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 15:04:41 »
Original carb but its not the same unit as the SJs use.

I really dont have the time, money or inclination to start messing about with the carbs :) Specially as my snorkel setup and evrything around it (breathers etc) will need to be altered too. Rather the OEM worked right again.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 15:23:10 »
yeah but the vitara carbs are bad aswell. as far as i know, the nikki and webber carbs are straight replacements, the nikki is better for offroading because the webber stalls on hills and sharp bumps. the su carb will need an adaptor, but are a really simple carb and can be fine tuned fairly easily.
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 21:34:20 »
this should work on your vit too (someone correct me if im wrong)

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=40821
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline wheelspinner

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 22:15:41 »
The nikki for an SJ is not a straight replacement for a vit it would need re jetting as the mixture would be too lean at the top end......then you get pinking and its good bye engine.As the jets for Nikkis are found about as often as hens teeth you may want to think of another option Su or a webber (suffers on steep inclines).

Regards

Steve
Owner of a full  size 1000 piece Suzuki jigsaw....

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
Dog rough idle
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 22:17:04 »
the jetting wud be wrong for richards vit
rich u have checked plugs,leads,cap and rotor arm?
simon

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 22:40:37 »
Quote from: "generation-x"
the jetting wud be wrong for richards vit
rich u have checked plugs,leads,cap and rotor arm?
simon

All brand new, though I have a suspicion about the hall receiver in the dizzy, might try swap it.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline deepndirtyvitara

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 16:14:31 »
Mine was the same, It idle like crap!!!  I replaced the main vacuum hose and now she runs like a dream - It's worth checking if you havn't already
Taking My Dirty Little Vitara Anywhere & Anytime

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 14:31:53 »
All hoses replaced (one down the back of the carb against the engine is an ars@ to get at :)

No differnce, just gonna live with it for now.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 14:14:01 »
Got it!

On the plains yesterday she got a through dunking, and the center lead got contaminated at the dizzy. Took it off abd gave it a good wipe, some IPA and a clean and now she idles more or less perfectly. Thought I'd checked that but must have been some condensate in there.

Gonne make use of some kit I have kicking about to out a pressurised cap setup on it, that way it can still breathe and be water tight.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 23:09:38 »
brought another vitara today, the idle was a bit off so i thought i would swap the ht leads over to a spare set i have (apparently 'high performace' ones). anyway, the idle seemed a lot smoother than it was, even when the car was cold
Tom aka Whatmot

'98 Ford Maverick

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Dog rough idle
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 14:04:42 »
Quote from: "Whatmot"
brought another vitara today, the idle was a bit off so i thought i would swap the ht leads over to a spare set i have (apparently 'high performace' ones). anyway, the idle seemed a lot smoother than it was, even when the car was cold

She seems really happy now, even better since I now have the dizzy pressurised to 5PSI so its getting a flow of clean and importantly, dry air, to keep the crud and condensation out.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal