AuthorTopic: No reverse  (Read 900 times)

Offline Robbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
No reverse
« on: April 03, 2007, 19:09:14 »
Hi All

I've lost reverse....

Doesn't even begin to select, either in high or low box, no crunching its as if the position no longer exists :?

So any ideas ???

Robbo
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline TBM

Attack Member
No reverse
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 20:11:21 »
Had a similar problem with mine a few years ago, and it was due to the end of the gearlever wearing away.

Try pulling hard back into second and then straight into reverse. If that works then it may be the same problem.

Offline Leslie Henson

Attack Member
No reverse
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 03:26:45 »
Does the gearstick go into the reverse position, but nothing happen?
Reverse has it's own selector fork which you can replace without stripping the box down. I busted the reverse gear on the original catflap and had to strip the whole box right down to replace the gear and shaft, which sits right in the bottom of the gearbox case.  I had to buy a reverse gear 'kit' to replace the old one - I think there may have been a problem with earlier reverse gears and Land Rover improved the design.

Les.

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
No reverse
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:03 »
no the lever does not go all the way into reverse, it goes side ways but not forward into reverse, can the gate move?

Robbo
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Leslie Henson

Attack Member
No reverse
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 00:57:16 »
Could be the shaft that the fork is clamped to, or the detent balls. Take the top cover off the gearbox and take a look. If you drain the oil out of the gearbox, you will be able to see the whole mechanism - right down the the reverse gear cog itself. Be careful not to drop or lose the detent balls or their springs.

Les

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal