AuthorTopic: Reply to the locked Bike thread.....  (Read 5433 times)

Offline Jas278

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Reply to the locked Bike thread.....
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 18:25:54 »
Quote from: "thepsychoman"

Fair enough - just seems some of these threads are simply started in order to generate an argument...  :roll:

Not at all, most people keep it civil......its all about the right to have an opinion.

Discovery TD5......Tricked Up..

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2007, 18:28:13 »
Quote from: "Jas278"

Fair enough - just seems some of these threads are simply started in order to generate an argument...  :roll:

Not at all, most people keep it civil......its all about the right to have an opinion.

As my dear wife says to me "When I want to hear your opinion, I'll tell you what it is" :)

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2007, 18:30:26 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
As my dear wife says to me "When I want to hear your opinion, I'll tell you what it is" :)

=D>  =D>

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 18:30:58 »
Quote from: "att"
Hopefully they lead to debate.
I can get a bit personal at times, but I do feel passionate about certain things and that is often my downfall :oops:

On the whole though, good reasoned and informed debate is a good starting point leading to greater understanding for everybody. :D

Well I think you smell of wee, so there.  :lol:

And anyone that disagrees smells of wee too.

On that note... I'll get me coat!
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

Offline Jas278

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 18:33:48 »
Thats if you can find youre coat........................I wont waste my time saying anything else ..except dont you have homework..

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 18:44:49 »
Okay - if you want a sensible comment...

Been a biker and car driver 20+ years and an 4x4 driver about 15 or so. I also live on the Isle of Man, so see more than my fair share of motorcycling lunacy. Every year at the TT we have a great number of accidents, often fatal - and more than half are holiday makers, not racers.

The behaviour of some of these bikers is appalling - I'm not talking about speeding, but rather daft tricks like overtaking on blind bends, ignoring double whites, etc, etc. But a lot of the guys are good riders and frankly its surprising how few accidents we get really.

Fortunately the IOM drivers are used to bikes so tend to keep an eye out for us, but we still get the "SMIDSY" syndrome. To date I've lost more than half a dozen mates to motorcycling accidents - about half were their own fault and half down to others. The worst being a guy ran over by an OAP in a hatchback who drove over a stop line at 25 mph - knocked him off his bike and ran him over - had his neck broken.

That serious and sensible enough for you?

And J - you still smell of wee!
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

Offline MM

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 18:48:04 »
I would just like to add a post that goes back to the original arguement (sorry to be a bore but that's a female for you)

Three years ago my hubby and I were totalled by a baffoon in a mondeo.  We were doing 20 miles an hour, with head light on.  This 'driver' just cut straight accross our path to turn onto a side road, and, you've guessed it, he said he didn't see us.  Wrote off a three month old blackbird put myself and my hubby in hospital with several breakages and bruises.

After three years I have only been back on a bike twice due to my confidence being totally shattered by other 'car drivers' and their lack of vision for bikes.  But luckily I am now in to off roading and love my TJ with a passion, plus it has more protection against mondeo drivers :lol:

Lone female now gets off soap box to go laning in jeep :wink:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 18:49:59 »
The worst being a guy ran over by an OAP in a hatchback who drove over a stop line at 25 mph - knocked him off his bike and ran him over - had his neck broken.

That could be a good topic of debate, namely should there stricter controls on the top age of drivers?

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 19:07:46 »
Quote from: "MM"
I would just like to add a post that goes back to the original arguement (sorry to be a bore but that's a female for you)

Three years ago my hubby and I were totalled by a baffoon in a mondeo.  We were doing 20 miles an hour, with head light on.  This 'driver' just cut straight accross our path to turn onto a side road, and, you've guessed it, he said he didn't see us.  Wrote off a three month old blackbird put myself and my hubby in hospital with several breakages and bruises.

After three years I have only been back on a bike twice due to my confidence being totally shattered by other 'car drivers' and their lack of vision for bikes.  But luckily I am now in to off roading and love my TJ with a passion, plus it has more protection against mondeo drivers :lol:

Lone female now gets off soap box to go laning in jeep :wink:

If you ever feel the need to be perched on the back again - feel free to give me a shout, and we can have a gentle bimble across the Malvern Hills..
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline MM

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 19:09:43 »
my god u r from my old neck of the woods, Stourbridge

Thanks for the very kind offer,

hubby still has his original CBR600 and goes out on that but I think I will have to hang my leathers up and opt for the safety of my jeep

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 19:10:25 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"

I'll concur, apart from the bit where they ask "why aren't you blah blah waffle drivel moan, bored, going to sleep, wake me up when you have finished bleeting".

My responses to that sort of comment have been

1) "Are you telling me that you know some real criminals and would like to spend more of your time telling me about it."
2) "Because I have to spend most of time dealing with crap drivers like you."
3) "Hang on Sir/Madam" pause, call up on radio in full hearing of the person "Hello Control, do you know of any murders/rapes/armed robberies/terrorist acts going on on my area at the moment? Oh, there aren't any going on? Ok, thank you. No , there aren't any real crimes being committed in this area at the moment. Now where were we? Oh yes, your ticket for speeding/use of mobile phone".

LOL I love it, i'll try that next time... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I figure it no matter how old you are, or what you drive/ride you are going to make an A**e of your self once in a while and you are going to get stopped by the police. It happens, i just don't think we should blame one group of people.

We all screw up, make mistakes errors of judgments, get into bad habits and get a strange attitude behind the wheel. We are human and that is something I have learned from working in the Police.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 19:14:54 »
again Jas you seem unable to answer any comment without more name calling and crazy assumptions.

Yes some people ride bikes aggressively and as someone has already pointed out so do some car drivers...but by no means all.

So back to the original topic of 62mph limit... what would it achieve. Can someone find some realistic data on crash and death stats as i cant. Maybe then the debate wont merely be opinion and name calling.

And yes i can be downright arrogant at times, but cant we all?
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2007, 19:16:02 »
I've been riding bikes on the public road for 20 years, before that i rode off road from the age of 10. i have never been involved in a bike accident i now have a 1000cc sports tourer, i also try on the bike as well as the car to obey law's and speed limits and i also take offence at the anti biking comments that have been posted.

After the lies and b******t that's spoken about 4x4's, i would have thought some people on here would have more sense than tar everybody with the same brush.

I stand on the same tarmac as att & bulli and the other bikers on this one, sounds like the minority that cannot stand the fact a biker can go through traffic (and will delibrately close the gap to stop a bike getting through) were as a driver on 4 wheels has to sit in traffic.

Get a life will you   :evil:

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2007, 19:24:24 »
I cycle, ride a motorcycle, sometimes drive our car, drive a Land Rover, tow a caravan, towtrailers. In all the afore mentioned, there are the good and considerate and also the opposites. Debate is good, but the trouble is if someone dislikes the actions of one group, then generalisation crops up. We only notice the bad, NOT the good. BTW Lord Shagpile, when I was in my teens and early 20's, police officers used to address me as lad or sonny. Why do I, as I approach 60, get called sir?  :D
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

marjan

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2007, 19:39:01 »
I'm not a biker but let us not forget that not so long ago we were all up in arms about being tarred with the same brush for driving  "Gas Guzzling" 4x4's.

There are responsible & irresponsible people in every section of our community. My father rode bikes from the age of 17 to the day before he died at the age of 81 and never had an accident that was his fault.

We are asking the public to be tolerant of our hobby so please don't attack another section of road users because of a few lunatics.

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2007, 19:47:26 »
Quote from: "marjan"

We are asking the public to be tolerant of our hobby so please don't attack another section of road users because of a few lunatics.

Well said  :D

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 19:55:38 »
Well arnt we so bloody two faced  :oops:  :oops: I am embarrased  :roll:
Anti everybdy that doesnt fit in with your ideal world  :twisted:

I drive a corsa daily, I have a RR Classic, and 2 600cc motorbikes and a push bike. I used to drive a 17t flatbed a 7.5t box, a transit luton.
Now I use a LWB Transit pick up at times at work.

I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE A BLOODY TARGET ON MY BACK

Anyway, as I have driven all these vehicles I know what I am doing when filtering, I know how to avoid incidents.

My licence is clean and I have been 'pulled' by the police twice in the last 10 years  :cry: once the plod told me my jacket belt had come loose, Thank you, and I was done for no seat belt in my corsa  :cry:

Let and let live...... when its anti 4x4 we all roar ..... then start on bikers  :cry:

or......

ONE LIFE...... GET ON WITH IT AND LEAVE OTHERS TO LIVE THEIRS
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2007, 19:58:43 »
Oh and as for stinking of wee ????? I think you will find it is Poo I smell of cos people keep s***ting on me for my way of life

Steve

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2007, 20:06:09 »
I think what some of this is the fact the good drivers/riders dont stick out when running down the road correctly

The ones that stick out are the ones that drive/ride badly or aggressively

and as it is through time with other things they loud minority make the most noise, and the quite majority carry on

The idiot factor will always be with us, it looks like a heritage that will carry on increasing, with the fact that people know they stand a good chance of not getting caught

The best thing is to not get dragged into it and keep yourself safe, some people just want to commit suicide, let them get on with it and hope they dont involve you with their death wish
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2007, 20:20:14 »
Quote from: "Stormin"
BTW Lord Shagpile, when I was in my teens and early 20's, police officers used to address me as lad or sonny. Why do I, as I approach 60, get called sir?  :D

It all depends Stormin',
Sir can be said in so many different ways. I always call everybody Sir, even the ladies. It gets their attention.
Seriously though, politeness costs nothing. In answer to your question, I would like to think that they were being courteous. I always work on the theory of 'treat others as I would want to be treated'.
 I gave a chap a ticket once for speeding (oops, done it now!), after I had given him a couple of warnings in the past, and he thanked me for dealing with him in a polite fair way.
I then felt guilty :shock:

Offline dazzawhipple

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2007, 20:41:52 »
I was going to reply to the original but was locked just as i was to reply

Okay I have no axe to bear at all but..... I can see where Jas is coming from !!!! but this debate should be carried out in a adult manor

My experience with motor bikers are driving back from Peterborough a few years ago before Warmington and Elton had the bypass built and seeing a biker loose it on a few bad bends (going to fast) and go under a Lorry you can guess what happened!!!!! Not nice

A couple of weeks ago a motor biker was clipped by a lorry The biker was undertaking at the time

I could easily say that all bikers are nutters and need a mental health section taking out on them.........but I do know and have seen sensible bikers, its too easily to tar good bikers with a bad bikers (most green laners get it in the neck after the bad unns are long gone!!!!)

One thing I will say everyone will have a different opinion, with that it becomes debate lets keep a good debate going without going off  track
G'Day
Landcruiser 2004 , 4.2 Straight six, Diesel, Roo bar, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, UHF, Roof Consul, Rear Drawer storage system, 50mm Lift

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2007, 21:27:48 »
Quote from: "Jas278"
Thats if you can find youre coat........................I wont waste my time saying anything else ..except dont you have homework..

after saying this

Unfortunatly if the only way you can express an opinion is to resort to insults then it is probably best if you keep it to yourself.

I like a good debate but this one is just too one sided to be entertaining.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline Snooky

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2007, 21:53:47 »
As has been said by many, there are god and bad drivers, riders, cyclists etc

Live with the fact that everyone has mad moments, designed to ensure the heart is working correctly  :)

I ride a bike, and have done for many years, sports bikes, touring bikes, mid range, and have a big BM now.
I do have mad moments, thats why I have a bike, but I also treat all on the road with the same respect, and also think there are some bikers out there that should be pulled for ridding like tw*ts, but there's never a copper round when you need one, same can be said for drivers.

I enjoy being on the road, bike car or 4x4, but if given the chance why sit in traffic? Filtering is illegal is it? Don't think so, if done in a controlled manner, and what is illegal about overtaking someone?
Most coppers will not pull a bike for filtering to the front of a queue of traffic, if done with respect for those around them, but fly to the front with no respect and you wil get hurt one day.

I was knocked from my bike year back by someone that had got bored of siting in a traffic jam so did a U turn into me as I "filtered" past the stationary car, it wasn't me that got convicted of dangerous driving, or walked away with a large amoutn of money in compo, well not really walk away as my leg was in a few pieces, but you get the idea.

live and let live, and avoid the country lanes at weekends, even I do that most of the time  :wink:

My rant over, I hate everyone after all  :lol:
Defender 90- No more
BMW R1150GS
Triumph Street Triple

http://www.tv4x4.co.uk/

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2007, 22:24:24 »
feel the love people?  :?  :shock:
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2007, 15:48:50 »
Quote from: "TD90"

tempting  :lol:  :lol: but I will decline your offer

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2007, 16:30:35 »
Quote from: "TD90"

Isn't that what they do in Amsterdam, after eating 'special' cakes?
Er hum,not that I know about that sort of thing, having never been to Amsterdam or eaten special cakes, or............what awful weather we're having don't you think? Very nice if you are a fish, or a duck........... :oops:

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2007, 17:10:43 »
2 wheels or 18 wheels we wll need to stick together. The next few years are going to be tough on us so lets not fight.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

att

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2007, 18:13:05 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
2 wheels or 18 wheels we wll need to stick together. The next few years are going to be tough on us so lets not fight.

Bang on.......There will be a revolution. :lol:

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2007, 18:34:05 »
Quote from: "Boggert"

Boggert! You sound like a hippy! Only joking, old mate! Very true sentiments.
Strength through Unity, Strength through Joy, Work for freedom.......no no no no nein nein!
I must stop now! I'm getting confused!

Offline glaggs

Attack Member
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2007, 20:33:19 »
Don't know how I missed this one, but I stand with the Bikers on here in defence of our right and freedom to ride the bikes of our choice within the laws of the land. If this one gets any more creadence then I'm moving to th Isle of Man - no speed limits outside town = 170+mph and the biggest grin you'll ever get.

I ride bikes because they're fun - have you fogotten what that is Jas. I 4x4 because its fun. When engaged in both activities I do my best to have fun without drawing attention to myself or upsetting others going freely about what ever activity they choose.

I also accept that with freedom comes responsibility, I will take responsibility for my actions legal or otherwise (the law isn't always right or just)

This and previous goverments seem determind to divide and conquer. I'm sure that they go out of their way to demonise minority groups, gather the (sheep like) majority behind their campaigns and the force these groups into becoming part of our History. For this reason I support what rights and freedoms we have left and think that when I see threads like this one its another nail in the coffin of Freedom and another victory to the Nanny state. Once the government has anethatised biking whats next, caravaners, hanggliders, mountaineers or may be those nasty 4x4 things and their owners.

Dare i finish by reminding you what happened to Fox hunting. I would have banned it years ago, but the way the ban was finaly forced through was another nail in the coffin of democracy and freedom.
..V..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal