AuthorTopic: oil and power steering leak  (Read 4998 times)

Vam

oil and power steering leak
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:30:18 »
Hello, seem to have developed an oil leak, from various different places :cry: She won't get rusty this winter!

Also power steering fluid seems to be all over the three nuts and box (hope thats right going by haynes manual)

Happened in the last fortnight,

She's booked in for a service any how so will get it checked,  but off the top of any ones head, any ideas if these are related leaks and what could be the cause or am I just 'lucky' :roll:

I know it's proberally like asking you how long is a peice of string....

Thanks

Helen

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 08:39:09 »
um.. just a bit...

Where are the leaks again ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 08:40:00 »
The leak from the Power Steering pump is (I would imagine) unrelated...

If you drive the vehicle on full lock (or without waggling the steering) for a period of time the power steering pump builds up pressure and blows it's seals, dropping power steering fluid out of the nearest available hole...

or at least, so they told me after the disco started spitting power steering fluid all over itself.

new fangled power steering things, never had a build up of pressure in the 2..  although the elastic band would get worn if you pulled it too much :)
--

Vam

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 17:33:44 »
Hello

Thanks guys, just checked, and I think your right about the power steering fuild Datalas,  makes sense.

Think I slightly over filled it about 3 weeks ago, and have done a couple of longish trips on motorway. Also the fuild level isn't 'that' low now considering the amount of leaked powersteering fuild i found, so reckon that could well be a combination of over filling and pressure build up (heres hoping anyway!)

Will check the 3 nuts on top of the steering box etc (where it seems to be leaking)

As for the oil, well she's always leaked (had her 18 months now) she's a landrover and thats how they moisturize them selves :wink:

The garage owner when he serviced her last Nov took it on himself to 'beat the landrover oil challenge !'
He did very well to give him his dues but she seems to be 'marking territory' again.

after a quick check (she got so much muck &oil etc everywhere it is hard to tell TBH, but going by the haynes manual I reckon I need a new gasket, as where the sump bolts onto the engine thats were it's worse all along the bolted join

(hope that sounds about right, pictures are very dogdy in manual) the oil seems diffinatly worse there, and it's traveling well down the chasis under the passenger side.

Also some of the fabric hoses seem so sodden in the stuff they seem to be weeping from there

Hope this all makes sense, found it really hard to explan as Im not good at this writting lark! :wink:

Thanks again

helen

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 14:52:31 »
PAS systems are designed to cope with being held on full-lock, the pump has internal pressure relief valves which 'blow off' before anything bends.  That said PAS fluid heats up, even driving in a straight line and so it expands, hence the 2 marks on the reservoir dipstick.  If you ovefill it may just loose some fluid when hot.  Also remember that PAS fluid (ATF fluid) does get thinner over time, perhaps you should drain the system, clean the filter and refill with new fluid before the leak gets any worse.  If all else fails try Phil on 07811417510.  He sell this stuff that stops leaks on PAS systmes by mail order.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Vam

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 16:48:51 »
Thanks RRB

Checked her today and the nuts are fast, and no more leaks or seepage as I'd cleaned her up. Reckon it was the over filling.  :oops:

She's in tommorrow for a full service, I'll get the expert to check her out :wink:

Helen

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal