AuthorTopic: Air suspension?  (Read 828 times)

Offline spy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Air suspension?
« on: March 07, 2007, 00:57:16 »
I will be looking round for a range rover soon I think but have a few questions about the air suspension.  What year did it become standard?  If its working correctly is it as good as springs for offroading (articulation etc)?

I have seen the spring kits to replace the air if all goes horribly wrong so thought I might consider one on air afterall.   There seem to be some j / k reg range rovers selling for similar money to c/d reg ones.  

Should I be worried about air suspension on a motor around the 100k mark?  

Cheers,

Mike
110 2.5 Petrol LPG powered
Discovery 300tdi - Sold to Sooty
Discovery 200tdi  - SPY - SOLD
Series 3 - XUXY - SOLD :(

www.landyworld.co.uk

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Air suspension?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 07:49:05 »
Our 1994 RRC has air and it's just over the 200k mark... aside from a couple of electrical problems that confused the EAS ECU... ours has been fine.

Dunno about it's off road potential but then SWMBO won't let me take that one off playing!

RRB has an LSE with air that I think he uses off road.

Skibum

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
Air suspension?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:53:27 »
Air suspension arrived late 1991. My J plate, registered in Feb 91, was one of the last to have normal suspension.

I think they're good for towing but off roaders tend to fit the springs as there is less to go wrong.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Air suspension?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 13:45:12 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
Our 1994 RRC has air and it's just over the 200k mark... aside from a couple of electrical problems that confused the EAS ECU... ours has been fine.

Dunno about it's off road potential but then SWMBO won't let me take that one off playing!

RRB has an LSE with air that I think he uses off road.

Skibum

I've laned it a couple of times, just to say it's been :wink:   but I have Blue for off-roading.

The LSE is a brilliant tow-car, too good in fact sometimes.

with a standard set-up you are limited to using standard length shocks, if you get too much droop the air bag comes off it's seat with a pop.  

I've found that a lot of the woodhead/oem shocks around are now longer than standard, this can lead to problems if the axle is hanging from the chassis.

One advantage is that you drive around in standard height unless you need the clearance, then you go up 40mm to high profile.

The EAS keeps a trick up it's sleeve too.  If you get stuck for more than 30 seconds it will deflate the springs to check whether you are grounded.  If you are it will over-inflate and go into extended profile for 10 minutes, another 20 plus mm to get you clear.

If you are cross-axled when you get stuck it will even out the ground pressure too, almost as good as a locker.

So no castor correction to worry about, nice safe drive on road, good off-road for a near standard car.

If you want to go for big mods or bigger tyres then it starts to limit you.

EAS needs to be able to rest on the bump stops.  You can reprogram access mode but if it goes down it will sit on it's arse, so any tyres must still fit with the car on the stops.

There is no possibilty of dislocatiopn, not without some serious re-engineering, but then I've found that plus 2" shock (plus 3" at a push) are the longest you can fit to the back without the shock bottoming out before the axle hits the bump stop.  On an EAS car this is bad, the bump stops are special elastic units that you can safely drive around on.

If you go to look at one I can gladly give you some tips.

meanwhile take a look at my galery, my LSE has had a fair bit of cash chucked at it but my rear springs boast an extra 3" of droop travel.

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/Range%20Rover%20Blues/gallery/EAS
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline spy

Attack Member
Air suspension?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 23:03:43 »
Thanks for the help!  Some tips would be great!  I am just about to lower the reserve on my disco to a point where I think it will probably sell and there are a few range rovers advertised locally to me.  

I have never even seen the controls for the eas.  Another question, lots of companies sell the spring kit but its always standard length springs.  Is it possible to buy the brackets or whatever is needed at the same time as buying a lift kit?  

Cheers,

Mike
110 2.5 Petrol LPG powered
Discovery 300tdi - Sold to Sooty
Discovery 200tdi  - SPY - SOLD
Series 3 - XUXY - SOLD :(

www.landyworld.co.uk

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Air suspension?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 23:26:38 »
Eh?

All you need to do is buy a set of springs, spring seats and retaining bars for the rear springs.  Oh and some bolts.

Then add dampers to suite your taste but I'd suggest leaving them in the EAS damper mounts, so changing them takes 5 minutes not 5 hours.

If you're going to look at one PM me for advice if you like, you won't be the first (tonight).
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
Air suspension?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:57:44 »
Can't fault air offroad, but my set-up is obviously different, in that I have cross linked airbags (you can do this I understand on the P38a and LSE) and of course independant suspension!
--
Neil

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Air suspension?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 12:41:54 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
The EAS keeps a trick up it's sleeve too.  If you get stuck for more than 30 seconds it will deflate the springs to check whether you are grounded.  If you are it will over-inflate and go into extended profile for 10 minutes, another 20 plus mm to get you clear.

:shock:   Oooohhh...!  Didn't know that!

**Plots a way to get it stuck somewhere when SWMBO is driving...**

:twisted:

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Air suspension?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 20:13:00 »
Have a look at my galery.  Whilst I was taking the shots to send back to the air spring dealer ( I got mine as 'development parts') I left it running and it started trying to get me unstuck as it assumed I had not stopped, cross axled, through choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal