AuthorTopic: 35inch tyres on a 300TDi?  (Read 8311 times)

Offline beatmasterdave

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Toyota Hilux 2.4TD Auto (more kit coming!)
  • Referrals: 0
35inch tyres on a 300TDi?
« on: February 03, 2007, 20:00:39 »
hi all, what sort of modifications need to be done to fit 35X12.50 tyres on a 300tdi disco. cheers
dave

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 21:00:25 »
:lol:
put it this way a friend of mine got a 4 1/5 inch lift on his disco, he tried my simex on for size as he will be recieving his as soon as devon have there shipment in, and he's got to cut the arches right out  :shock:   and there a inch missing now  :shock:
35, 10.50 r 16's these are
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 22:33:37 »
To be on the safe side you're talking:
    Cutting about 3 inches out of the arches and fitting wheelarch flares.

+3" on the suspension and another 1-2" on a body lift.

Heavy duty springs & dampers.

Caster corrected radius arms.

Cranked trailing arms with spacers on the chassis connection to alter the angle of the rear axle to stop vibration.

Custom front propshaft with Double Cardan joint in it.

Custom rear propshaft with U/J at each end.

Specially offset wheels or wheel spacers (if you want to turn corners :wink: ).

Extended bump stops.

Extended brake hoses.

Remove the anti-rollbars (if fitted).

Either fit a Defender 1.41:1 ratio transfer box or change both ring & pinions in the diffs for 4.11:1 - this is so it will go up hills without being in 3rd gear and you can pull away without slipping the clutch.

Lastly, make sure the wheelbearings are in good condition and regularly greased, CV joins are good and there is no play in your steering.

I think that's about it, I'm sure someone will point out anything I've missed.  :D

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 22:39:51 »
yer i got one budgie  :lol:
buy a few h/s's
and get a bigger intercooler  :lol:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 22:48:57 »
Forgot about them.  :wink:
Maybe 4-pinion diffs and spare half shafts?

Offline hrox

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 08:23:05 »
hey all,   i am thinking of doing 35's mybe 37's on my disco when i getit.  how much would you say the above would cost?   rough estimate....

i was thinking of +4" maybe +5" on the suspension and 2" body lift?  im expecting to total the arches  and would there be enough body hight for a bit of articulation??  only a bit mind you as i still need to be able to tow me van with it :shock:

thx in advance
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:12 »
Go for it.

I wouldnt fancy driving it though. If you want articulation get a 3 link...solves all of landrovers articulation problems. You then dont need castor corrected this and that as you can adjust using the 3 link(if you buy the safari gard original anyway).

7 inch lift...you are having a laugh. It will handle like a drunk pig in knickers and roll at the slightest provocation. I have 4 inch on mine and lets just say it definately feels less secure on a side slope.

Main thing to do is cut the arches and fit flares. I would suggest for 37's you would need a hell of a lot of offset...which noone does without special order. I tried to buy 6 inch offset from Matt Lee and lets just say it didnt happen.

I am hoping to fit a set of 37 or 39's later this year so will let you know. The v8 feels underpowered on mine with 35's and its got filter and sports exhaust! Hate to think what the standard diesel would feel like trying to lug around 35's let alone 37's...oh and ive got 4.1:1 4 pinions diffs.

Its all do able dont let anyone tell you otherwise but it does turn into a major money pit! I phoned Craddocks when i was looking for my 35's and got told by their expert you cannot fit 35's to a disco.... just shows that an expert aint the be all and end all.I told him he was talking crap ...dont think he appreciated it.

If you are going to the Donington show on the 18th have a look at my disco and grab me if im around.
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 10:43:32 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
like a drunk pig in knickers and roll at the slightest provocation.

sounds like a girl i once knew  :lol:  :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 11:37:27 »
As a very rough guide, the stuff I've listed above will set you back around £3000, that's not including the wheels and tyres.
For those you talking another £1000 for 5 x 37" Super Swampers (including wheels), or 37" BFG Rock Krawlers are around £290 inc vat per tyre. (Devon 4x4 prices  :wink: )

One other way you can go is to fit Portal Axles from a Unimog or Volvo C303. These will raise the vehicle to give the room for 37" tyres but saves having to do too much raising with the suspension or body.
You can add on another £1000-£2500 for the axles and then you've got the fabrication involved in getting them to fit the Disco chassis. It shouldn't be too hard though as there are plenty of Landies with Portals fitted.  :wink:
Oh, and the portals come with mechanical diff locks as well.  :D

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 17:24:43 »
the problem with portals is that they dont make it any wider so you stil fall over+ very very low geared . You might have to trailer it to venues.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
Re: 35inch tyres on a 300TDi?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 20:41:53 »
Quote from: "beatmasterdave"
hi all, what sort of modifications need to be done to fit 35X12.50 tyres on a 300tdi disco. cheers
dave

i have managed to squeeze 36 x 12.5 on my 200 tdi 3 door.

6 inch lift on the rear and 5 inch lift on the front and use 10 inch rims.

anything less forget it or you will hit the inner arches and break things

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 22:48:22 »
MIke i ran 35's with 2 inch lift and arches quite happily and mines a 3 door. trouble with that much lift is the need to sort all the steering geometry out.
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline beatmasterdave

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 20:37:27 »
hi all, found a place to modify my standard disco for £1950 all in, for
 4 X 35"1250 r15 Procomp Muds
4 X 8x15 Steel wheels
Suspension (springs & + 5" shocks/ spring relocators)
TUV Approved Prospacers
Devon 4x4 Extended wheel arches
Brake line mods
All fitting & testing

is this reasonable? so far i think its really good, being fitted by people who have done it before. aparently the gearing will be fine too! :D  :D  :D  8)  8)  :P  :P  :P  8)  :D  8)  :D  8)  :P

Offline bullfrog

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 20:52:56 »
The gearing will be affected.
I would see chuggerman for the arches as his are flexible.

I can probably better the price for more kit.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 21:59:47 »
sorry mate but the gearing wont be fine thats balls. Tell em i said so, plain crap.
borrow some 31's and tell me it feels the same...the change to 35 is a huge %age increase in rolling radius...plus you are more likely to break stuff!
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline chuggaman

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 22:13:31 »
Quote from: "beatmasterdave"
hi all, found a place to modify my standard disco for £1950 all in, for
 4 X 35"1250 r15 Procomp Muds
4 X 8x15 Steel wheels
Suspension (springs & + 5" shocks/ spring relocators)
TUV Approved Prospacers
Devon 4x4 Extended wheel arches
Brake line mods
All fitting & testing

is this reasonable? so far i think its really good, being fitted by people who have done it before. aparently the gearing will be fine too! :D  :D  :D  8)  8)  :P  :P  :P  8)  :D  8)  :D  8)  :P

i will try to comment on  this sensibly..

you are planning a huge transformation to your disco....

you also seem to want to make it an extremelly succesfull off roader.

fitting 35" will take you further throught the ruts than others...

but to put 35" tyres on your disco you are going to spend a lot of money and time...

spend the time researching and not impulse buying and your vehicle will evolve well..

good luck with your venture

mike
U.N.D.E.R.......C.O.N.S.T.R.U.C.T.I.O.N.......

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chuggaman/gallery/

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 00:44:26 »
If you go ahead and fit the 35's without altering the gearing then you'll be slipping the clutch just to pull away, at 30mph you'll be in 3rd and if your lucky you'll get into 5th at around 45mph. Any slower and the engine will labour.
When you see a hill, you better put your foot down cos' you'll be in 3rd, maybe even 2nd by the top with a head wind, and I'm talking hills on the M6 here!!

A couple of other things missing off the list are:

New front prop, maybe the rear one as well. The standard props will have problems operating at the angles a +5" lift will produce. I'm assuming that the spring are also +5", if they are only +2" or +3" then you'll need a body lift as well. And I don't want to go into what the body roll will be like with a +5" suspension lift because of the increased CofG.

Steering correction. Front radius arms will need to be longer and set so they correct the caster angle otherwise you will have a job keeping the Disco in a straight line on the road.
The rear trailing arms will also be too short and will pull the axle forwards.

Anti rollbars will have to be removed, unless you can find 5" spacers to put under them.

Your bump stops will need extending to stop the tyres impacting the inner wheelarches on full articulation.

I'd also question putting 35x12.5's onto 8x15 wheels, 10x15's would be safer. You could save on the price of the Prospacers by getting correctly offset wheels as well. Buy the time you've payed for the new wheels and the spacers then you're only about £10-£20 per corner short of a set of Matt Lee' wheels made with the offset you want.  :wink:

Do some searching on here and read up on some of the older posts about this subject before you part with your money.
Myself and the others who have posted above are warning you for a reason, most of us have made the mistakes and learned from them. We're just trying to make you aware of what you're getting into before you spend any money.

Read through what we've said and make a list of questions, then go back to these guys and ask.  :wink:

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 10:31:38 »
Good advice Budgie, i was in a rush last night to go playing int he snow...we had bonnet deep drifts in Derbyshore last night!

Im not sure and im not bragging but i think i was the firs ton the forum runnign 35's and 3 link(correct me if im wrong) I have had the tyres on for a very long time and went through several suspension designs and set ups.

I have through much trial and error got to the point i have a useable, very flexible(2nd at the Kirton Scorpion challenge ramp off last year against some of the top challenge truck in the country) and extremely capable truck.

Its up to you but noone on here will gain financially from telling you porkies....just bear that in mind.

Propshafts definately become a problem and to get enough clearance for a flexible set up you need to have at least 4 inch.

If Matt is still up and running(he was considering sellign up to concentrate on racers) get some big offset wheels and they will also look much better than mine, DAMN!
Just take your time unless you have a wish to blow money for nothing. Why not let your truck evolve a little ,we all did.

You going to the Donington show?? You should as there will eb loads of advice available!
EFILNIKCUFECIN

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 11:45:52 »
Hi im runing Insa turbo special track approx 33" on modulars

to do this i have +5 shocks, +2 springs, +1 spacers. extended turrets bump stops and brake lines. also a rear A-frame spacer, corrected radious and trailing arms

around 3+ cut out of bodywork and flair's fitted, drives fine with minimal roll, its a bit sluggish on pullaway but its a 300tdi so thats normal. does about 70 easy but 5th gear is optional..

i would love to fit 35" but dont think its worth all the extra cost.

and my tyres are only about £60 a corner, it works rather well though

modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 12:14:00 »
lovely looking disco that mate

dan
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline beatmasterdave

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 20:30:54 »
hi, thanks for your replies!
yeah this sounds a bit goo good to be true. they also said

"This conversion turns a standard Disco into a very competitive off roader & improves on road handling. We converted 15 Discovery's last year and the conversion has been well tested and works very well. We do not change the gearing ( we can but they is no need) even standard 200 / 300 tdi's pull excellent with out changing it.
This is the basic conversion & can be added to with a 5th wheel& carrier, tubular bumper, winches etc... "

im sure ive read loads about gearing and propshaft modifying. im going to have to send them another email soon. this was from RDS Engenering, http://www.rdseng.co.uk/

i asked for a quote for mods for a standard disco to be moded like the RE-DISCOVERY they have there on the site. they have some wicked vehicles up there, especially that range rover for sale :D  8)

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 00:16:41 »
i like the rear winch bumper for the Disco thats defo going on my list..
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Guardian.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 10:25:51 »
both my discos are on 33's, they drive fine and flys in 5th gear no problem at all.
everyone seems to get different results, i would do things stage at a time as not to waste large sums of money on things you may not need.
i often see people writing things you can and cannot do, and i wonder what they are on about half the time.
when i had 35's on the defender with 5 inch lift in all, that also drove ok i know it has the different transfer box but, i am convinced a disco will be fine with 35,s, at worst just adjust the fueling to give it a bit more go.
fink it also depends on what you want it to do, as i was never up to me neck in mud, and that could be the difference.

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 15:26:03 »
Like you say, everyone has different experiences.

My Disco on 33" tyres and standard transfer box, Allards intercooler, tweeked injector pump and blanked off EGC was awful!
I put up with it for a while but crunch time came on the way back from the Belgium National in 2004, on the M6, loaded with camping gear, and climbing up a long gradual hill with a head wind. I was in 3rd gear, foot to the floor, getting overtaken by lorries and struggling to maintain 40mph!!  :evil:
Put a Defender T-box in and no problems since, cruises at 70mph all day, pulls away without slipping the clutch and goes up hills on the motorway like it did was 205's.

If I'd have put 35" tyres on it with the standard t-box, I wouldn't like ot think how it would drive!  :wink:

Offline beatmasterdave

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 16:27:34 »
nice one chaps! ive heard of changing the box to a defender's. is that a big or pricey job? the 35 idea is a bit over the top, but i'd im a huge fan of fat tyres, not so keen on discos ive seen that have been lifted with tall but skinny looking tyres.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal