AuthorTopic: Help Big End?  (Read 342 times)

Offline K2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help Big End?
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:53:14 »
My 200tdi is not running right it started get a wee bit noisy a few months ago and this is getting worse with time. The engine is getting louder like a hollow metalic clonking sound especialy when going up through the gears and ticking over. The whole cab appears to have a vibration not the usual just through the steering wheel past 55miles. In the past couple of years we have replaced the gearbox,radiator,fan,waterpump and a few other things. Had an oil and filter change yesterday and timing belt was done last summer. No smokey exhaust except usual start up for a couple of seconds and always starts first time. Do any of you guys have any idea, I am worried it may be the big end as it has got about 220 on the clock. Any suggestions appreciated :)
200tdi 93 (K) The Big Beastie

300tdi S 96 (N) Blue Beastie

ben_haynes

Help Big End?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 12:09:59 »
it might be an engine mount or if you believe it to be a big end or main bearing get a clean jug and a funnel line the funnel with white tissue paper(kitchen roll) drain your oil and see if there is any metal fillings of any colour

Offline K2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help Big End?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:23:45 »
Thanks for reply Ben, we checked the oils yesterday for that but it was OK. The other half is under the bonnet just now and has discoverd another shattered valve stem cap. I was wondering if that could be the cause as this will be third time in last year this has happend. Is this a usual problem for this age of Disco? I will get him to look at the engine mounts as well.

Cheers
200tdi 93 (K) The Big Beastie

300tdi S 96 (N) Blue Beastie

ben_haynes

Help Big End?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 14:11:24 »
take the sump off and feel for any play in the Con rods as we had a Nissan Cabstar done the same but it ran sweet as a nut untill last night then it had a clonking sound but no vibration in the cab and when we stripped it out this morning one of the Big End's had destroyed itself

hope this helps

ben

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal