AuthorTopic: Is this noise the driveshaft  (Read 5289 times)

dawlishstone

Is this noise the driveshaft
« on: October 26, 2004, 09:21:53 »
When I pull away in my old LR90 there is a very high pitched whinning noise which stops when the clutch is depressed. Is this something to do with the driveshaft and if so what needs to be done to stop the noise.

Thanks

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:33:23 »
If it's related to the clutch pedal, my guess would be that it's the clutch release bearing rather than a driveshaft.

Does it only happen when pulling away ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dawlishstone

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:38:15 »
It makes the noise whilst pulling away and driving along. If I let the clutch out faster so there is a jolt it stops the noise for a while but eventually it comes back - maybe after I have changed gear but I am not sure.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 12:11:34 »
:-k Ooooo, I'm gonna have to go with Mr Muddyweb on this one, it sounds like the release bearings in the clutch.  :( Mine did exactly that.

If it's the props (normaly the UJ eating itself), you get a vibration that gets louder and stronger as the speed winds up - quite unpleasant too. Generally indicates about a couple of hundred miles left before they go 'the way of the pear'.

cheers
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

dawlishstone

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:14:56 »
OK guys - if that's the case what are we lookng at cost wise to repair. I don't have the expertise so it will be a bloke down the orad doing it, not a garage. And is it a major task ?

Thanks

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:21:12 »
Erm, good question. Generally it involves replacing the clutch, with is not the kindest of jobs (means taking the gearbox out).

It cost me about 300squid at a local independent (Andys Landy's, Coventry. Thats, Andys Landy's, Coventry). Not the cheapest job you can do, but the clutch isn't pin money. Having said that, it had covered 160k miles so it owed me nowt!

Wander it down to your man and see what he says. Just be sat down when he tells you..... :wink:

FWIW, if it had of been the UJ, a replacment costs a couple of quid and it takes about half an hour to replace - easy job too.

HTH
Eeyore

dawlishstone

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 13:56:04 »
Forgot to ask if it is OK to carry on driving. Even though the noise is annoying I am getting a lot of looks. Will I do any further damage ?

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 16:39:40 »
If it is the release bearings, all I did was finally weld the bearing into the clutch assy - wasn't a problem as the whole lot came out anyway, but could have damaged the input shaft (expensive gearbox rebuild required). I drove on mine for about a couple of hundred miles because I had to get home and then the garage couldn't fit it in for a week. It didn't seem to cause to much agro apart for the looks, like you said.

I was still glad I got it down as soon as I could. There's expensive bits down there!

Like I said earlier - see your repair man and confirm it is what we think it is and take it from there. But see him soon, just in case.

cheers
Eeyore

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal