AuthorTopic: LTWT springs vs parabolics  (Read 2669 times)

Offline damian t

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
LTWT springs vs parabolics
« on: December 26, 2006, 00:17:32 »
I might be changing the springs o my 86" Series 1, I'd like a set of parabolix, but the cost...!  I've heard that Lightweight springs will fit, and having only 7 leafs, might be as good as para's.  Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers...
Borens 1st law: If in doubt..... mumble!

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:43:31 »
7 leafs will not be as good as parabolics, thers only two leafs on the front and three leafs on the back on my truck and there million miles away from the old leafs springs.
it is true that you can get quite good articulation from old leaf springs but parabolics transform the ride especially on road.

its like owt, you get what you pay for.

Offline ed209

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:23:34 »
Hi
I bought some parabolics about 3 months ago and have only just got round to fitting them and they have transformed the ride of my series on the road and off. OK I'll admit that the springs that were on it were well past needing changing as were the shocs so the whole lot has been done as well as 1 ton shackles for that little bit of extra clearance. Just changing the springs added 3" on to the hight and driving it round the old airfield where it has been done the difference was immediate.
I umed and arred for quite some time as to what to do because of the cost but believe me it's well worth the extra for parabolics in my opinion.
Regards
'67 Series SWB 2.25 derv
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv
Parabolics Extended Shackles
Extended Shocks
RRC Diffs
750 x 16's
Roof Rack / Ladder
Bull Bar (Front) + Spots
14" Mountney steering wheel
Centre Cubby Box
Genuine L/R Oil Bath Air Filter for Snorkel
Snorkel  
65amp 110 Alternator  
*Staffie co driver (never complains and hates horses)*

'63 Series
SWB (open top)
2.25 Petrol (for now)
Rear Mount Tank

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 12:38:58 »
Paras every time.  Just remember to do the rears first - then its still driveable if you don't do the fronts straight away (albeit a bit Dragster-looking), wheras if yo do the fronts first the handling becomes....interesting
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline lightweight-love

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 10:08:41 »
Same as above, parabolics did me wonders, mixed with nice pro comps! not a lot difference on road coz my old leafs were very flat and very bouncy, but off road they flex a lot faster and are a lot more responsive! never seen para's on a series 1 though! don't they run thinner leaves?
1975 s111 lightweight 200tdi, paras, snorkel, winch... My everyday ride
1976 s111 lightweight stock new restoration project :)
1974 s111 Long term restoration project, galv chassis, paras...
"she's not leaking oil, she's marking her territory"

Offline damian t

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:21:23 »
80" run thinner leafs, I think I'm ok with my 86"

Offline bob86

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 11:08:18 »
It was only the earlier 80" that had thinner springs. Ive just fitted standard s3 springs to my 86", i couldnt afford paras and decent shocks at the time. I've seen a few s1 fitted with paras.
1955 86" 200tdi series one,

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:59:44 »
My 86" had LW springs on the front when I got it. They where excellent.

Few months ago one of the leaf broke on the spring. I was going to replace with another pair of LW springs on the front... but then when compared with the price of a full set of parabolics... it made sense to go with the parabolics.

I didn't get the 'transformation' of ride people state as my original spring were not old and worked and the LW front gave the 'poor mans' parabolic ride.

BTW front LW springs I had fitted where 5 leaf not 7.

If you got a SIII 2.25 in your 86" you might have problems with the LW springs making it easier for the axle to come up and hit the crankshaft pulley. I run with extended bump stops. I ran with extended shackles for awhile too but that is what probably weakened the spring to snap in first place.
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline damian t

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:15:20 »
Cheers for that, she has her original 2 ltr... mind you, she has her original everything else to... I sometimes feel bad wanting to modify her!

Offline Saffy

Attack Member
    • The Bell Inn, Imber.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 10:21:48 »
Quote from: "damian t"
Cheers for that, she has her original 2 ltr... mind you, she has her original everything else to... I sometimes feel bad wanting to modify her!

Mine came with siii engine, axles etc so I am lucky in that I have no worries about bolting something else on to make the truck more usable rather than a immaculate show piece toy that gets taking out once a year (which have their place, but not in my yard).

You'll get the S1 Nazis after you with sharp sticks if you modify a mostly original s1  :D
.swonk eno oN .esoht dna eseht ,siht dna taht ,wollof ot selur emos teg eW

Offline damian t

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 11:11:33 »
She isn't immaculate, but she is original!  However all ... most Land Rovers are modified to there owners lifestyle, aren't they?  If her springs are tired, then why can't I replace them with better ones?  I suppose if I began replacing her original engine/gearbox for a V8 etc and welding on a roll cage that'd be different.... though seatbelts would be nice!

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 12:08:37 »
i'd fit the lightweight springs. IMHO apart from the quicker bump reaction i cannot find an advantage by fitting para's.

Standard springs and keep them nicely oiled. Proper classic looks and still articulation to beat many of the cheapy branded para's.  :wink:
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 12:49:39 »
I thought you were selling Tink?

I put som Paras on my series 3 they're great got tehm from British springs, very friendly and knowledgeable.

Chris

Offline S188

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 15:27:15 »
I've got an original 86" rag top thats definately not pristeen but not really modified.

The only mod we did to it was fit some Rocky Mountain 2 leaf springs and ES9000 shocks about 5 years ago.  It was a improvement over the knackered springs it had, but wasn't supersoft.  Articulation was very good.  The ride ended up simular to my 88 Stationwagon  (which has normal springs but weighs alot more and does over 8000miles a year so the springs never get a chance to bind up) but with slightly less crashing when you hit a pothole.  In all I think the ride was slightly better but the articulation was the main gain, beating many heayver siries motors dispite having little weight to keep the wheels on the ground.

We decided the shocks were abit too hard for it and have just changed them for some ES1000 - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Now the ride is brileant and soft, no harsh bumps at all even on bad roads.  It still pitches alot but thats due to the wheelbase.

I also noted the old 9000's were dented where the front swivels had hit them, wont be a problem with the 1000's as they are not any fatter than the standard shocks, the 9000's were huge! I doubt that'd be a problem on anything other than a series 1 with original narrow tracked axles.  Series 2's have an extra 3/4'' clearance on each side.

All in all I think the mod is now great without the massive gas shocks. (a ragtop 86'' with 2.0petrol weighs in around 1.2ton so doesn't need much springing if you never load it).  And it hardly spoils the vehicle as it can be returned to factory spec in half a day useing a socketset if I wanted to.  I recomend them.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline bob86

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 18:50:50 »
Do you have to cut one of the spring clamps off if you fit lightweight springs? I had to when i fitted normal petrol springs to my 86". The track rod touched it before it got to full lock.
1955 86" 200tdi series one,

Offline Timi

Attack Member
Re: LTWT springs vs parabolics
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 20:00:18 »
Quote from: "damian t"
I might be changing the springs o my 86" Series 1, I'd like a set of parabolix, but the cost...!  I've heard that Lightweight springs will fit, and having only 7 leafs, might be as good as para's.  Does anyone have any experience?

Cheers...

Sometimes by dowsing your leafsprings in oil allows them to work properly. as a cheap short term alternative, if your swinging shakles are stiff this could cause harsh ride as would knackered dampers.

Just a quick thought.
timi 8)
Newer red and grey disco to save confusion,

Ramsey Pro8000 winch
Safari Snorkel
Qt Diff Gauards
Bfg Muds
Procomp steering guard

Offline ed209

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 11:39:48 »
Hi

The para's i fitted to mine were for a LW and fitted fine with no cutting
'67 Series
SWB SW  
2.25 Derv
Parabolics Extended Shackles
Extended Shocks
RRC Diffs
750 x 16's
Roof Rack / Ladder
Bull Bar (Front) + Spots
14" Mountney steering wheel
Centre Cubby Box
Genuine L/R Oil Bath Air Filter for Snorkel
Snorkel  
65amp 110 Alternator  
*Staffie co driver (never complains and hates horses)*

'63 Series
SWB (open top)
2.25 Petrol (for now)
Rear Mount Tank

Offline damian t

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 00:16:30 »
Plenty of different opinions... the decision will have to be made after I've fixed her clutch and fitted new swivels, brgs, & seals!  

Yes Chris, she was for sale, but my wife deleted all my e-mithers by accident the other day, and lost the details of the two blokes that were interested in her... an omen perhaps?  Besides, I have another article in this coming months '4x4 Mart' advertising the Smurf for sale, so if she goes I'll need something to commute in!

Laters...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal