AuthorTopic: 200 TDI into a TurboD 110 CSW  (Read 5238 times)

Offline rich_h

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 TDI into a TurboD 110 CSW
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:21:29 »
Can someone please offer some advice.

I have the chance of a 1989 110 CSW with a blown TurboD motor

I have a 200 TDI Disco with more rust than metal but a good motor.

From reading the various mags and forum posts it is not easy to fix the disco 200 tdi into a defender. The problem i have is do i sell the disco and then buy an unknown 200 tdi motor from a defender, or the option that i would like to do is remove the good 200 tdi from my old disco and fit it in the defender.

Can any of you offer some advice on what the differences are between the disco and defender 200 tdi's.

Thanks

Rich
300 TDI DISCO (still too clean)
200 TDI DISCO (The Wifes & never clean)
SIII SWB Truck Cab (More rust than mud)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 11:28:14 »
The main issues are the location / position of the Turbo and the radiator / cooling.

The Turbo on the Discovery engine is on the side of the exhaust manifold and as such routing the intercooler pipes / exhaust is a bit of a chore, but not impossible.   The Defender has it mounted in a similar position to the TD.

The intercooler / rad itself is different too, and you would need to either source a Defender unit, or fit an after market intercooler.

The job is possible, but it's not the 'drop-in' that a Defender engine is.   You will likely find that you will be a couple of hundred quid short between selling a Disco Tdi and buying a Defender Tdi for this reason.

If you are confident to do a bit of fabrication work, and not afraid of a bit of problem-solving, then stick with the Disco engine.  If the prospect of that scares you...  go for the Defender
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline rich_h

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 11:55:52 »
Tim

Thanks that has cleared up some of the doubt.

could you help with the following

will i have to fit a combination of Disco / Defender exhaust parts or can a std system be fitted.

If i wanted to make future part replacement easy would it be easier to replace the exhaust manifold for a defender unit and replace the rad and intercooler for defender units.

bit of a shame as the disco rad is only 12 months old.

I dont mind a bit of hassle as the disco unit is sweet and a mate has his own garage and has offered to help.

cheers rich

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 12:01:55 »
You'll need to do a bit of nifty pipework for the exhaust, so a combination of pipes will be most likely.

If you can find a good defender manifold and turbo (and probably a couple of other bits) then you could change them... but I suspect you will find them on the shelf next to the hen's teeth.

As for the rad, etc.  a lot depends on what you can find.  If you see a complete unit with the rad and intercooler for good money, then yes, go for it.   If not, then the TD radiator should be Ok for the cooling and you can get an intercooler from someone like Allisport and probably get slightly better performance.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline rich_h

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 15:20:20 »
Tim

thanks for your advice i think i will have a look at a friends 200 tdi 110 before i start and take some pics so that i have got the basics to go on. As for the hens teeth i'm susre i've got some in the shed somewhere just can't remember where i put them.

Thanks rich

Offline diesel_boy

Attack Member
  • NUTTER
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 16:44:20 »
sound like u need sum of my idea's for pipeing it in  if ya do it and need a hand just give me a shout
2door rangie beeing bob'erd    
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/diesel_boy
sam@northants4x4.com

Offline kevbutty

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 18:41:22 »
Another problem you could have is the front cover is different  :| On a defender 200 tdi it is much more narrow to fit between the defender inner wings. I don't think it would fit without some serious modification  :-k
That was one of the design briefs with the 300tdi it had to fit in both cars  :!:
If it was me I'd either fit a def 200tdi or find a 300tdi
Disco 300 Tdi 1996
If it breaks I can fix it !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal