AuthorTopic: help I've got a steering wobble I can't shift  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
help I've got a steering wobble I can't shift
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2006, 02:47:59 »
Anyway, the reason I'm reading this, my LSE has the same problem and I've checked everything suggested.  My swivles are tighter than the yshould be now (can the top pin be worn on a Railko bush and cause a problem?)
My radius arms are polybushed which made it worse, the panhard rod is also polybused, I adjusted the play in the steering box and fitted new air springs and dampers.  Heavy dampers cover it up and oddly i found with one set of tyres that loosening the bushes on the steering damper stopped the steering kickback,although the fron tof the car still wobbles side to side.

It's getting on my nerves, especially when the scruffy old off-roader drives so much better.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 10:54:48 »
I know how annoying it is RRB....  it's even more annoying when the weather forcast says clear and i get up to thunder and lightning and down poors...I should be out playing :(

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2006, 16:10:11 »
I've given up listening to forecasts :roll:
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2006, 17:42:30 »
YAYYYYYY 95% of the way there :)

removed a shim from the off side swivel pin, it did take the load from 4 to 6 kilos but it moved easily enough and removed all of the 12-6 play but there was 9-3 play so I checked the wheel bearing and that was loose, did that up and all play removed from that side.. grease was a bit of a rusty colour and the ball is getting pitted so probably time to change the whole thing, hoepfully the CV joint is ok inside.

Did the other side as well, bearing was fine that side but tightened it a touch anyhow as it was a little bit loose for my liking.  Removed one of the shims and that removed the 12-6 play but we were on .9mm shims we're now on .8 mm and the next step down I can make is .2mm with what Iv'e got which seems far too big a jump given that .1mm reduced 70% of the play.

Also did the steering box - wow what a difference, I now no longer look like I'm driving in one of those old balck and white films trying to keep the car straight.    Still pulls a little to the N/S but that might just be tyres (grizlies) and camber of the road.

Went for a quick test drive and everythign seems ok, small amount of wobble at it's typical sites (deceleration from 70-30 with a little shake at around 40ish, which could just be tyre balance now), and hardly anything on the way up.

So next port of call will be to try and get some difference sized shims.  Then replace the o/s swivel housing.

I did see a complete 300tdi axle on ebay recently.. are they interchangeable with an early 90?  I've definately got a later axle on the back (is a 90 one with mounts for ARB, not sure exactly which flavour) but it's disc braked.

Thank you to all those who offered advice and help, and especially Ian for turning up to pass spanners and get mucky :-)

Matthew

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2006, 17:58:44 »
6Kg :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

That's stiff.

BTW, I find when you wobble a wheel to check the bearings that the disk calliper will mask a lot of play, you need to lever the pads out of the way first.

Offline Snooky

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2006, 18:22:28 »
So next port of call will be to try and get some difference sized shims

What do you mean? what may have happened is that you ermoved what you thought was one shim but if you bend it you'll probably find it is a few, they seem to get themselves welded together.... :wink:
Defender 90- No more
BMW R1150GS
Triumph Street Triple

http://www.tv4x4.co.uk/

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2006, 19:57:10 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
6Kg :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

That's stiff.

BTW, I find when you wobble a wheel to check the bearings that the disk calliper will mask a lot of play, you need to lever the pads out of the way first.

well the normal amount it 3.5 to 4.5 so not that far over :shock:

I had an assistant (Ian) sat on the other side feeling the various bits to work out if it was swivel or bearing - not shouldIcould have done it without him :)

Matt

Offline Matt_H

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2006, 20:07:35 »
Quote from: "Snooky"
So next port of call will be to try and get some difference sized shims

What do you mean? what may have happened is that you ermoved what you thought was one shim but if you bend it you'll probably find it is a few, they seem to get themselves welded together.... :wink:

I'd go and check, but that one's on the car.. I only realised that when I arrived in the garage ready to go and bend the old ones I'd removed - doh!

Shame they're a bit bigger than the disco ones as I've some of those spares :)

Matthew

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal