AuthorTopic: 1991 1.6 Vitara Running (or not) problems  (Read 2109 times)

ben_haynes

1991 1.6 Vitara Running (or not) problems
« on: November 19, 2006, 22:21:24 »
I have just done the Cylinder head on a 1991 1.6 petrol Vitara and when we went to start it, it turned over but did not fire,

The timing is OK, it has compression, it has fuel, it has Spark, have replaced spark plugs and King lead.

what can be wrong with it,

Please help as i am stuck,

Thanks In Advance

Ben

Offline generation-x

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 22:27:38 »
hi ben
did it turn over smoothly?
is the dizzy in right position?
coil leads right??

simon

ben_haynes

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 22:32:21 »
Quote from: "simon31cozy"
hi ben
did it turn over smoothly?
is the dizzy in right position?
coil leads right??

simon

Hi simon

yes it was smooth
yes it is in the right position
i believe so, i have a nother set i can try on it in the morning but it has a very strong spark on my tester

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 22:50:10 »
just check the firing order before you swap over your leads ben

simon

ben_haynes

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 23:01:50 »
Quote from: "simon31cozy"
just check the firing order before you swap over your leads ben

simon

Firing order is OK

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:59:42 »
Sorry to be obvious but are you really really sure that you have the valve timing right?

Failing that CFi/Carb? Not airlocked the fuel system some place. Will it start if you give it a dose of easystart?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline bailey

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 18:56:34 »
try towing it by bumping by towing onm anoterh car what i always do when mine wont start always cures it
89 blue zook samurai 416: rear coils 32s and 40 inches of flex and a few more little mods

2001 blue jimny
differant coloured panels, 3 inch lift, 30inch machos,trimmed arches, front and back solid bumpers,snorkel,

ben_haynes

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 15:04:09 »
i have tried towing it but it does not want to start or even fire at all, it back fired and put a big spot of carbon on the ground

please help me

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 16:20:02 »
Really does sound like timing, I know you've checked it. Got a compression tester?
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline crazycol

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 17:03:45 »
my old mans coleuge at work said he has done a job like this in the past, and found that when he re assembled everything it wudnt start, exactly same symptoms, after about 2 weeks of checking everythin he found that the coil had packed up, not completly tho there was still spark etc, but not enough powere to kick the engine over.
mud makes great toothpaste

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 08:23:52 »
Take off cam cover
Take out a spark plug

Insert screwdriver(or similar) into number 1 cyl plug hole(taking care with threads)

turn crank over by hand, watching the rise and fall of the screwdriver, then start to watch the cam operating the valves(and also the dizzy rotor arm)

as the piston comes up the valves should both be closed(turn the crank a full turn and watch again if this doesnt happen) as the piston gets to the top, the rotor arm should point to cyl 1 plug lead position.

keep rotating, and the piston should fall, the exhaust valve opening.

The piston will go all the way down and then start to rise, as it nears the top the exhaust valve will begin to close and the inlet valve open.

the piston will drop again, the inlet valve remaining open till the piston gets to the bottom again, then all valves closed as the piston rises and the whole cycle begins again.

Sorry to be so basic, but Id guess you have a basic engine problem. Ive been stumped before and resorted to basic engine principles to check Im right.

If you have fuel, timing, and spark, the engine WILL run, so clearly something is amiss.

Double check the basics before condemning parts as faulty

hope this helps

:D
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

ben_haynes

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 14:16:47 »
Quote from: "rollazuki"
Take off cam cover
Take out a spark plug

Insert screwdriver(or similar) into number 1 cyl plug hole(taking care with threads)

turn crank over by hand, watching the rise and fall of the screwdriver, then start to watch the cam operating the valves(and also the dizzy rotor arm)

as the piston comes up the valves should both be closed(turn the crank a full turn and watch again if this doesnt happen) as the piston gets to the top, the rotor arm should point to cyl 1 plug lead position.

keep rotating, and the piston should fall, the exhaust valve opening.

The piston will go all the way down and then start to rise, as it nears the top the exhaust valve will begin to close and the inlet valve open.

the piston will drop again, the inlet valve remaining open till the piston gets to the bottom again, then all valves closed as the piston rises and the whole cycle begins again.

Sorry to be so basic, but Id guess you have a basic engine problem. Ive been stumped before and resorted to basic engine principles to check Im right.

If you have fuel, timing, and spark, the engine WILL run, so clearly something is amiss.

Double check the basics before condemning parts as faulty

hope this helps

:D

Cheers Rollazuki i got my dad to have a look, he went back to basics and the timing was out,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal