AuthorTopic: newbie in need of some advice  (Read 1697 times)

Offline jock

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
newbie in need of some advice
« on: November 03, 2006, 10:51:47 »
hi guys n gals im new here ive just bought my very first range rover a 1992 4ltr vogue se lpg converted also my very first auto lol i only got it the other day but this morning i noticed a few oil patches on my driveway under my rangie.ive not got a clue when it comes to cars so ive taken some pics on my mobile.

right then this is underneith by drivers side front wheel.underneith the battery

and these are from looking down at it

it seems like a lot of oil down by the bottom pipe to the rad

also whats this next to my air filter

as theres a slight leak from the underneith of this is this for my lpg?

Offline baileys_1984

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 12:01:28 »
hubby said the pipe next to filter is the lpg, trace the pipe and its all lpg stuff and the oil could be from power steering box as they down that side
Bailey

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 12:09:27 »
Don't know much about LPG stuff, but the oil leak on the other side looks very much like the steering box.

I'm afraid that a few leaks under a Land Rover product are almost inevitable.  The steering box leak is usually best dealt with by putting a new or recon box in.  Replacing seals is rarely that effective or worthwhile.  

There are some stop-leak products that might help to go in the PAS fluids, but I've not personally tried them.  If you can put up with a bit of a leak, then as long as you keep the fluid topped up it is not the end of the world.  Depends how bad it is really.

Regards

H

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 15:18:53 »
Range Rovers don't leak....

They just mark their territory!

:lol:  :lol:

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 16:08:11 »
Quote from: "Henry Webster"
Don't know much about LPG stuff, but the oil leak on the other side looks very much like the steering box.

I'm afraid that a few leaks under a Land Rover product are almost inevitable.  The steering box leak is usually best dealt with by putting a new or recon box in.  Replacing seals is rarely that effective or worthwhile.  

There are some stop-leak products that might help to go in the PAS fluids, but I've not personally tried them.  If you can put up with a bit of a leak, then as long as you keep the fluid topped up it is not the end of the world.  Depends how bad it is really.

Regards

H

these stop-leak products any ideas on names or what to look for and where as i might give them a try first and take it from there

also Skibum346 i was pmsl when i read your reply

Offline murph

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 18:29:24 »
The pipe next the the air filter is the LPG supply pipe to the vapouriser/mixer which is the unit it goes into...
Murph
98 P38 V8, RPi chipped, 18" alloys 2001 lights, privacy glass.

SAAB 9-5, 3.0 V6 TiD, driven by SWMBO

www.saab9-5.com

www.prints4kids.co.uk

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 18:35:33 »
Looks like your missing you air con belt
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 18:46:16 »
yes i did notice that,been told its off as if the belt is on you use more petrol/gas

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 19:41:18 »
only uses more if you switch it on be worth checking the pully still spins before refitting the belt
also pressure wash off the area of the leek and then have a good look
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 20:13:44 »
Quote from: "blackbob"
only uses more if you switch it on be worth checking the pully still spins before refitting the belt
also pressure wash off the area of the leek and then have a good look

so would it be safe to just pop the bonett and blast the whole engine area then or not as i could go down my local garage and use there jet wash

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 23:34:18 »
This is the stuff you want for your power steering leak - have used it before and it's very good :-http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Steering-Stop-Leak-That-works-32oz-bottle_W0QQitemZ230029336478QQihZ013QQcategoryZ52640QQcmdZViewItem
Go carefully if you are using a pressure washer under the bonnet - put a plastic bag over that air filter, you don't want to get water in that
Keep the spray away from the electrics too - I would just use some gunk and a wee paint brush to carefully clean round the oily bits and then carefully rinse off with water
Saves soaking the whole engine and saves the red face of your rangie not starting if you have cleaned it at a local garage ! :wink:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Garth

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 00:01:22 »
The thing next to air filter is the LPG vaporiseor (as said previously) it is where the LPG is turned into a gas. Its the same as the one on mine and mine is a Tartini gas convertion so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.  
Regarding oil leaks a little oil goes a long way so keep checking levels before you do anything drastic.  Underneath mine is covered in engine oil from a leaking sump gasket but only uses 1 litre between oil changes.

Anyway its not an oil leak its a rust prevention system :D  :D
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 00:19:51 »
the lpg vaporisor thingy theres a slight dripping coming from the bottom knipple type screen from undernieth it is this a major prob or not?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 01:58:24 »
Is the leak from the LPG 'vaporiser' (not the correct namen for it) anti freeze that heats the thing up to prevent freezing, as LPG would escape as a gas or freeze as it did so.

Leaking PAS box, well you should try the Lucas stop leak, it does work though sometimes you need to use a lot, otherwise about a ton buys a reconn box but fitting is a cow, especially with the airconn fitted above it.

The belts have probably been removed because the Airconn doesn't work or uses too much fuel, expect up to 5mpg loss.  If yo remove the airconn belts yolu can loosen the water pump belt thus reducing wear in the pump, that's why it's better than just not switching the air conn on.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 12:01:38 »
just had a look at the pas header tank and its now low so i presume it is the steering box thats leaking then as my oil level hasnt dropped at all?

Offline jock

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 14:51:47 »
could someone please point me in the right direct of somewhere showing my how i change the seals on a steering box as im going to try that and some lucas stop leak aswell before i go down the changing the box over route

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 22:38:19 »
Try the stop leak first - the idea being it coats and reconditions the existing seals so you don't have to change them.............................
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 16:36:04 »
Trouble is if the seals are leaking it's because the maoin shaft is worn and has killed the seals.  Try the stop leak, if that doesn't work then don't waste your time re-sealing it, fit a recon unit, they cost about £100.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal