Vehicle & Technical > Discovery

Tyre Fitting Guide

<< < (10/10)

Disco Matt:
Fair enough - I notice a lot of 1in lift springs are also described as "heavy duty" I think I'd still buy new shocks, springs, and brake lines as that'd give me more droop too.

I don't want to end up with a huge-tyred monster that is only really challenged by pay and play sites, as I much prefer a bit of gentle laning. However, on a couple of occasions I've been in a situation where an extra inch or so of clearance under the diffs would do wonders, and an inch of lift won't run into problems with castor angle or propshafts.

Vicarious:
I have searched and looked all this post so I hope this question from a novice does not make you snigger too much.

I have a 2001 V8 with 18s, I wanted a spare set of rims so I have got hold of set of 16s with 255-65 (actually from a Range Rover Mark II HSE)

I just assumed they would be alright as the tyre places show them interchangeably

Little bro sighed and pointed me to the forum as talking about 'normal' rim sizes was giving him a migraine

KK Mobile:
Hope this helps someone??

Disco 200 / 300tdi standard height will run something like "General Grabers" 235/85r16 & will just require a trim to the rear of the rear arch lip. We done this on a friends 300tdi & he had no troubles even when towing heavy loads!

I used to have a Disco 1 series with a 2" lift running 235/85r16's & camel cut to rear. When purchased it had colway mt's that were nacked so fitted "Receip Trials" same size with & had no rubbing issues! And no problem's with uj's or standard props!

Then changed tyres to 238/85r16 "Insa Turbo" special tracks!! thinking more agressive but same size so wouldn't have any issue's!! Had rubbing issue's when offroading only! I had to cut quite a bit from front arches as they ripped both front wings & started to peel outer door skin from rear doors! Turn's out when measuring they tyre's the Insa's were 1" bigger.

As for the insurance side of thing's (re speed rating earlier in posts) don't think it will cause you any problem as the tyres are still rated to over 70mph and that is the speed limit! :-k :police:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version