Vehicle & Technical > Series Land Rovers

Three / Two Engine Differences ?

(1/1)

datalas:
Ok, having finally gotten fed up of Petro running like a bag of nails (he's also developed a big end knock, and I never did quite get to the bottom of that overheating problem) I've decided to give up with the current engine and swap it out...

I have aquired a Series3 lightweight for this purpose.  The question is are there any differences or problems in putting a series 3 engine into a two.

1.  I know that there are some differences regarding the clutch mouting, but I seem to recall those being mention with regards to putting the three box in, which I'm tempted to not bother doing as the series2 boxes are stronger, does anyone have a definitive opinion / experience on this ?

2.   Assuming there are no real differences between 2 1/4 petrol engines (early to later) is there anything stupid that I'm forgetting ?

3.   I'm also assuming that swapping the overdrive over would be a reasonable idea as well.

4.   Does anyone know how I can get Col to expediate his tidy-up of the garage and then give me a hand :)

Any thoughts?  Suiggestions?  Advise....

matthew:

--- Quote from: "datalas" ---
1.  I know that there are some differences regarding the clutch mouting, but I seem to recall those being mention with regards to putting the three box in, which I'm tempted to not bother doing as the series2 boxes are stronger, does anyone have a definitive opinion / experience on this ?

2.   Assuming there are no real differences between 2 1/4 petrol engines (early to later) is there anything stupid that I'm forgetting ?

3.   I'm also assuming that swapping the overdrive over would be a reasonable idea as well.

4.   Does anyone know how I can get Col to expediate his tidy-up of the garage and then give me a hand :)

Any thoughts?  Suiggestions?  Advise....
--- End quote ---

1. The differences are in the bellhousing, mostly the location of the clutch slave cylinder and linkage.

2. Differences are all pretty minor AFAIK. Very early S2 2 1/4s originally had a different exhaust manifold.

3. Yes I'd definitely swap the OD over. Not a big job anyway.

4. Blackmail, Bribery.

datalas:
the question regarding the clutch, and the linkage is this...

does it present a problem?   I've heard stories of cutting whopping great holes in the bulkhead, but this would upset me (seeing as there is barely any bulkhead left anyhow :) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version