AuthorTopic: Lt 77 In A sIIa  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Cheggs

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« on: October 27, 2006, 21:27:41 »
Hi,
    have any of you try'd this, the main advantage being the 5 speed box and full synchro mesh, the engine is a 2.3 or 2.5 ford diesel with the coversion plate to go on to a series 3 box, will there be any major problems? I'm planning on keeping the chasis unaltered along with the steering and suspension thus keeping thhetax exemption and putting on some rrc axle's I have obtained, I figured this would give me a vechile that can tow the caravan ( and stop) and also be use full for playing off road. Could I get awway with the clutch from a 3 or do I need one from a defender? any body else already done this?
1994 Discovery 300 TDi Auto 
1972 Series III w\Prima Perkins     

1965 sIIa (Project)
1991 Discovery 200 TDi (Now sold)

"I'm not  mechanically minded but, I have several hammers"

Offline 12LDA28B

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 21:34:17 »
I'm assuming that you'll be putting the whole thing in, complete with TF box. That will give you permanent 4WD, not something that your front axle is suitable for, having UJs in and not CV joints as on LRs built for permanent 4WD. You'll need a complete axle from a Stage 1 V8 to do this.

I wouldn't bother. Just buy an overdrive and laern to double de-clutch.

Synchromesh is for girls :lol:

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 00:31:14 »
He did say he intends to fit the Range Rover axles though... which have CV joints and not UJs in. ;)

The only issue behind fitting the LT77 and transit lump is that you have to modify the chassis mounts for the transmission and engine, oh and buy a set of ear plugs I believe the transit lump is very noisey due to being an early direct injection engine.

Fitting Range Rover Classic axles aren't easy either, because Series vehicles use leaf springs while Range Rovers use coils.  As a result you must modify the Range Rover Classic axles to accept leaf springs, and because of their greater width you must also fit wheel arch extensions onto the body.

In the process of fitting Range Rover Classic axles you also get the disc brakes, and these may require a different braking master cylinder to be fitted.

A standard Series can tow a caravan okay, remember they're actually able to pull well over 3 tons but the braking system (unless its one of the last S3 vehicles) is only rated up to around 2.5 tons.  Just don't expect them to pull quick. ;)

By the sounds, really you want a Discovery or Range Rover Classic from the description you gave.  Save up for a Discovery or Range Rover Classic and either sell the Series or keep it as a classic or fun vehicle to have as something 'different'. :)

EDIT:  Ooops, I only just saw in your signature that you already have a Discovery.  :oops:

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 10:25:20 »
thanks
as usual I have alot to think about. I will probablely just stick to it as is but will add a servo to the brakes, how much will a servo improve stopping ablity?

1965 sIIa (Project)

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 12:17:21 »
It won't improve the braking capability.  A Servo simply makes it easier to push the brake pedal, nothing more and nothing less.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 13:18:52 »
What seems to be a simple idea will in no doubt turn into something a lot harder.

You want to swap the engine and the G + T boxes too.

There isn't an adapter plate to mate a LT77 to a series T'box. Well not one i know of there is belived that ashcroft used to make one but they seem to be very thin on the ground.
So yes you could then go the whole hog by fitting the LT230 in as well but then you will come up against the problem of the perment 4WD problem and that the front axle has UJ's not CV's so given to some quirks in the on road handaling. Not a major problem but as the wheel will be traveling at different speeds slightly it'll be a noticable point.
Next is that due to the lenght difference of the LT77 and LT230 set up it will be longer than the series set up so you will have the make up a set of new propshafts to fit.
Fitting a RRC axle can be done but there is the remanufactuing of all the mounts to fit the leaf springs and then trying to figure how to get the track and drag linkto fit too. as the RRC has the front drag link and the rear track rod. Which the sereis has them both in the front.
With the RRC the rear track rod sits exactly where the spring is.

As above the front axle of a Stage 1 will fit. but then the propshafts will have to be sorted to get them to fit.

Then onto the engine conversion and again it goes to having to get it sitting right and making any changes to the mounts if needed. and then due to your gearbox setup you'll have to work out where it'll sit and whether or not it'll clear the series front end and the radiator.

HTH
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline bob86

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 16:48:42 »
It might not be a transit engine. If the engine is out of a Sierra or Granada it will be a Peugeot engine. The chassis doesnt need to be modified to fit that engine. The mounts fitted to the engine in the ford are near the back of the block so you need new mounts that bolt onto the front of the block.
1955 86" 200tdi series one,

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 17:20:54 »
As Far As I know it is the Peugeot varity

1965 sIIa (Project)

Offline bob86

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 17:33:33 »
Same engine im fitting in mine. Some people love them and others hate them.

Offline Cheggs

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 19:57:57 »
I have a 2.3 with the sump conversion done and the adapter plate on, but I also a 2.5 which I may have rebuilt and then fit that instead at a later date never hurts to have a spare. From what i understand the 2.3 gives about the same performance as a 2 1/4 petrol but with better mpg.

1965 sIIa (Project)

Offline bob86

Attack Member
Lt 77 In A sIIa
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 20:20:26 »
Ive heard that as well and thats what im hoping.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal