AuthorTopic: series cylinder head help  (Read 809 times)

Offline scotana

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
series cylinder head help
« on: October 16, 2006, 17:30:42 »
hi my timing belt snapped whilst i was in motion on my diesel .
 so can anyone tell me for definate if the cylinder head of a 2  1/4 engine will work and fit on a 15j 2.5 n/a.

or is there a better one that will fit

i am trying to cover all worst case senarios ie cracked head   bent valves  bent pushrods  

so i need to know what is changerble

cheers
110csw 200tdi

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 17:49:52 »
I dont think that they are the same. I rebuilt my 2.5 and theres was a spare 2.25 head in the garage and im sure we compared them before i had mine reconned.

You head will probably be fine anyhow..

My engine snapped its timing belt while in motion. It was my mates at the time and he just replaced a load of pushrods and the belt and kept driving it for a couple more years.
I then bought it off him and rebuilt it. A couple of the valves were slightly bent but i didnt find any more damage and it still worked (though smoked a touch but a lot of that was due to worn rings).

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 19:39:13 »
Here's what to do, if you can.

Replace bent pushrods, fit new belt, do a compression test (need to get a special diesel one for this due to the much higher compression), if compression is okay then do not remove the head.  If compression is down on some cylinders then the valve was probably bent a little, so perhaps remove the head and sort that out.

But trust me, these engines are very robust.  Known two people who have had their belts go unexpectadly and the engines only suffered bent pushrods (although one got a bent valve in the process too).  :wink:

Offline scotana

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 20:48:55 »
its always useful having this sort of info i have a few bits of engines i can salvage if required
110csw 200tdi

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:29:39 »
Quote from: "Rich_P"

But trust me, these engines are very robust.

I rebuilt it because my sump plug fell out while i was driving :oops: The oil light came on and I drove it around 2-3 miles in heavy traffic before it siezed..

The lack of damage to the main bearings was very impressive - they really wernt any worse than youd expect for an old abused landy engine and that is after being run dry! It unsiezed when we were trying to remove the crank pulley!

If it wasnt for the heavy breathing and thus how it leaked oil out of every possible orifice it probably could have been run for longer without a rebuild!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal