AuthorTopic: Light Bar  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Robbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Light Bar
« on: October 15, 2006, 22:52:54 »
Finally got round to fitting my light bar today....some one could of warned me that the gutter is steel :cry: ...several blunt cheap drills later.....I now have holes...
Daisy SWB series 3 station wagon, 1975 and pretty in mud

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:32:30 »
Hey Robbo,

Where d'you get the light bar?

I have a light bar in the back that looks like a roll bar, only problem is that with the height of the truck cab, when I turn on the lights, the sky (and cab) is lit up, not much road ahead...

Cheers,
Rob.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 11:23:43 »
Hi
Actually got the bar from a 90 ! No markings as to where it was made though, its definitely proper rather than custom made, and the lights just sit above screen but not above the roof line so its brill.....have tried a mates bar and that too seemed to high, I have heard of folks attaching light screens to stop the blinding bit if on a roll bar though.

Robbo

Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 14:53:50 »
Yeh, some sort of screen may be good.

I reckon to get the best of my lights to move them, had thought about trying to gutter mount them at the front as they give a really good flood light, but some sort of light bar may be better if I can find one cheap (or free). Or I may have to fabricate something for front gutter mounting, as I don't think I would be able to drill a large enough hole in the gutter to mount them.

I did think about mounting them on the bullbar, though want some spots for about there, the floods are much better higher up - not that I off road at night anyway...
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 00:27:28 »
I got the bar, both to look nice 8) and also to light up the branches at screen level and the holes further along the lanes - not sure yet as I haven't wired them up.

Do I wire up via a relayand aux switch via mainbeam? or via a relay on themselves? any advice greatfully recieved as not sure as to which is best/legal.  Also the lights are 55w each me thinks so what size relay do I need, and do I need to change the altinator to beef up the power?

Cheers

Robbo

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 01:18:44 »
You can wire them up to the beams, but its handy to have a cut out switch in the system too. Also a fuse in the circuit it adviseable

Definately with a relay (or two if you split them into pairs)

Some people like to wire them up into pairs, one pair for looking down and the other for distance, so you can use either set or all of them

The alternator should handle them no probs, as long as its in good nick, keep an eye on the charging light on the dash

Would not be advisable to have them on without the engine running though
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 16:43:20 »
hey thats great cheers for the advice, will get me a relay sorted and then onwards and upwards!

You mention a fuse, is that not in the relay? of am I looking to put one inline with the wiring?

Robbo
ready with screw driver and hammer in hand....

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 21:12:21 »
Some relays come with fuses, if so you are ok
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Light Bar
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 21:31:20 »
You can wire them to the main beam. As the law says nothing on the position of driving lamps. Only Fog lamps.

Best thing is to wire them with an Aux switch so they can be turned off even though main beam is on.

All the lamps together will draw 18 amps so you'll get away with a usual 30 Amp realy. and yes an inline fuse would be a good idea, something like a 25 amp blow.

You already have a set of driving lamps, so that'll already have a demand on your system above the normal mainbeam. So with 6 55 watt lamps on you will be drawing 36 amps. It'll be a good thing to check the output of your alternator and the quality of the wiring to prevent it getting a wee bit warm.

I have a similar setup.
I have the lamps up front on the bumper for road work where i want distance and then switch them off, and switch on the roof ones for the off road work. but they occasianly come in handy when driving the odd tight and winding lane.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:45:17 »
when i finally get round to fitting a light bar on my roof, the wiring is going to be a tad complicated.

i'm going to have them set so that they can either be off, come on with the main beam, or come on independantly.
and thats going to be 2 pairs,
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:31 »
Quote from: "ian_s"

i'm going to have them set so that they can either be off, come on with the main beam, or come on independantly.
and thats going to be 2 pairs,

i was going to wire mine in like that but then i started thinking why i would ever want them on without main beam headlights on too? If im using the spots then i want the light so the main beams arnt going to hurt being on too!

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Light Bar
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 19:55:05 »
ive got my roof lights wired in pairs independantly,

so can have the spots & fogs on or them on independant of each other & also can have them on without any other lights on  :wink:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 00:02:58 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that these sort of Aux lights need to be switched separate from the main beams for legal reasons on the road, although power is from main....still not sure though.... :?

Offline Robbo

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 00:03:16 »
I'm sure I've read somewhere that these sort of Aux lights need to be switched separate from the main beams for legal reasons on the road, although power is from main....still not sure though.... :?

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Light Bar
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 00:15:37 »
IIRC it is in Here Somewhere.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 08:39:01 »
afaik, its not legal to drive on the road with roof mounted lights on, so you need to be able to switch them off,
as for having just the roof lights on, if i was using them as worklights, i wouldnt want the main beams on draining the battery as well
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Light Bar
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 22:31:09 »
Just MHO here but id like to see a copper try n do me for my roof lights :lol:

Also in regards to using them as work lights,does any one on here actually drive offroad in the dark or is it just me?

at night offroad they are much better than normal lights down low as they give a good spread & also aint in the mud & water etc
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Light Bar
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 22:38:11 »
I do some offroading in the dark. Do more greenlaning in the dark though there is a few lanes on my way home so i'll just pop along them just to keep tabs on them.

The roof lights really do light up the dips in the ground and i have them angled so to provide a wide spread around the front of the landy.
Rowan.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Light Bar
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 09:02:52 »
i havent yet done any planned offroading in the dark

but roof lights would have been damn useful when my bro rolled his car into a field at 2am a few years back.
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Guardian.

Light Bar
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 18:20:39 »
dont know the rules, but i would imagine you can use roof mounted lights as there isnt a lorry in the country that doest have them.
how is that any different?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal