AuthorTopic: clunk? rrc 1989 3.9  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Range Rover Ron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
  • Referrals: 0
Clunks
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 15:51:38 »
Hello fellow clunkers.

I think we're looking a two different problems here,
CLUNK ONE...
the first one seems to me (no expert) that it could be the prop shafts, if you get underneath and get a good grip one one of them and try and turn it in your hands you should be able to tell it they are worn, ideally you want to find no movement as you try and trun each one, a small amount will be OK for a while but it will get worse. try each prop, if there is excessive movement that's your problem, new universal joints (UJ's) are required.
CLUNK TWO....
I had a similar clunk on my 110, to test it, drive slowly, in 1st or 2nd gear say in a car prak or similar and while moving put your foot on and then off the throttle, if this is where your clunk is happening then it is your half shafts, I felt an amazing difference after changing mine on the 110, it felt like a Rolls Royce (erm well a new 110) afterwards!!!
a way of further proving the half shafts is to remove the 5 bolts holding the end cap on the end of the axle and remove the rubber dust cap, with the bolts out, see if there is any movement of the cap on the splines, this movement, if there is any, gives the dreaded clunk.
New half shafts and end caps are required to fix this clunk.

Prop shaft UJ's are about a tenner each.
Half shafts are anything from £25 upwards, the longer one being dearer.
Probably expect to pay around £70 per axle including new end caps.

A mate of mine had the problem with the pan hard rod bush, but this was really agressive clunking. I mean almost undriveable!

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Ron.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline grizz

Attack Member
clunk? rrc 1989 3.9
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2006, 00:07:01 »
I know the clunk you mean, its the one as if the springs popping back into place, I reckon you can rule out half shafts props an diff's, after reading this thred I'm going to check my panard rod in the morning :?
discovery 3.9 v8, ES auto lpg converted 1" lift
(classic rangie sat on 33x12.5x15's with 2"suspension an 2"body lift, 3.5 with 3.9 cam, defender wheel arches. project in the progress)

Offline grizz

Attack Member
clunk? rrc 1989 3.9
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 00:10:03 »
buster, where abouts are you in teeside, i'm up in nunthorpe over xmas an new year, is there any good green lanes you'd recommend or any local play days
discovery 3.9 v8, ES auto lpg converted 1" lift
(classic rangie sat on 33x12.5x15's with 2"suspension an 2"body lift, 3.5 with 3.9 cam, defender wheel arches. project in the progress)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal