AuthorTopic: Spot lights. Which ones to go for? Advice please.  (Read 4867 times)

PUX

Spot lights. Which ones to go for? Advice please.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:02 »
Guys i have found that procomp do a 130watt spot/floodlight its switchable and its excatly the same as kc just labeled diffrently 8)  just waiting for a quote back then will let ya all know :D

Offline Henry Webster

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 12:50:46 »
Quote from: "dreadnought110"
Quote from: "matthew"
The picture above just demonstrates why you should avoid Hella.
all i was saying is i like hella i couldn't afford lightforce i used to have cibie pencil beams and they where brilliant but they started to rust on the reflector and the body!! the hella's have outlasted them!! :?  :? So why are you so against them?? :?

I have to agree that the pic probably isn't the most impressive demonstation of what your lights can do (frankly this stuff never comes out well in photos).

I am, however, often surprised that with all the lights that some people have on their Land Rovers/4x4s that the actual lighting isn't much better.
In road rallying you are limited to only four forward facing beams (including headlights) yet you can still get impressive illumination.  The type/make and design of spots does make a huge difference.

PUX

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 16:22:49 »
http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/acatalog/LightsAccesories.html im going for these procomp 5" 130watt jobbies at 17.45each i dont thinks to bad for the power etc etc 8)  8)  8)  let ya know wot there like when i get em just need to adjust me light bar now :roll:

Offline madmatt

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 16:26:05 »
I have been out in Dreadnought110's LR and can say the hella lighting set up works extremely well, there is a dam at the end of the local resavior that local folks use to set up there lights, its half a mile long and Iain can light the thing from end to end.

No matter how hard he trys (and try he will!!) he'll never get over the quality of the spread of light in a photo.

I have Hella on my LR and am happy at the end of the day its down to budget and personal preferance, i started out with Ring and upgraded to Hella when I could afford them, I could just never ever bring myself to spend lightforce money on a set of lights for an LR. Now if I was hurtling down a forest road in an Impreza at 90+mph I may think about.

Just my few pence worth.

Matt
Land Rover Defender 130 with Hyd winch and Log splitter, also has just the odd light here and there!!!

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2006, 17:23:20 »
Quote from: "matthew"
[
Ok, it was late when I wrote that and I probably should explain a bit more.

For the current road rally driver's first event earlier this year he'd put a new pair of Hella 2000s on the car, they were ok but not stunning. Anyway we had a minor off and smashed one of them, for the second event they'd been swapped for some second hand super oscars and the difference was massive even with less than perfect reflectors. These have survived a second minor off and an impact with a sheep.

[
I've added a couple of notes to your picture, basically they don't look to be throwing the light far enough. 50m or so (which is what it looks like) might be ok laning but is getting marginal even at Land-Rover speeds on the road.

Hope that explains a bit more.
 :? Ok let you off it just wound me up a bit ,after looking what you are on about you are right but it is down to the quality of the picture the set up is spot on (no pun intended :lol: ) i have 2 pencil beams on the bar that for some reason haven't shown up at all on the picture and as a rally driver you should know how hard it is to set up pencil's to give you the optimum light, the roof mounted lights are set up to give light in the hedge's for sharp cornering and immediatly in front of the vehicle for cresting bump's the 2 extra spot's on the bar are for fiiling in where needed and the fog's just give a bit close and for use in fog (of course??) plus the headlight's are BIi-xenon which are good on there own i have considered hid in the spot's but due to the warm up time they aren't praticle on main beam 8)  Hope this help's ( I shall try to get a better picture later)
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Spot lights. Which ones to go for? Advice please.
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2006, 19:56:05 »
[quote="Jake]Price : £ 135.13 inc VAT[/quote]
Thats £270.36 for 4  :shock:
Whats everyones opinion on these lights?
[/quote]

F***ing expensive, that's my opinion.

I'd get 8 ring rally giants and spend the change on 2 new tyres.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2006, 20:35:44 »
:( OK this is about as good as i can get with a camera?? you really can't get the true impression the refelctive bit at the end of the road is about 3/4 of a mile away..  :(  :)
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2006, 20:39:20 »
Jake, you are on about useing your roof lights on the road ? isnt it illegal
to use roof lights on the road? I dont think you need distance lighting when
laning -just a good spread of white light, cant imagine what its like in the cab with 130w lights on the roof must be really offputting with bonnet
glare diminishing your vision,thats why i have a sun-visor to stop that happening +its still normal in the cab just my thoughts,BTW, KC daylighters the dogs danglies,
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2006, 22:05:30 »
Quote from: "LandRoger"
Jake, you are on about useing your roof lights on the road ? isnt it illegal to use roof lights on the road?

Your probably right about the law but i use them know as a main beam and turn them off the moment i see light coming around a corner or when in a town.

Quote from: "LandRoger"
I dont think you need distance lighting when laning -just a good spread of white light, cant imagine what its like in the cab with 130w lights on the roof must be really offputting with bonnet glare diminishing your vision,thats why i have a sun-visor to stop that happening +its still normal in the cab just my thoughts,BTW, KC daylighters the dogs danglies,

Very true about a good spread. Which is why i'm considering two different lenses for the lights.
The final decision has'nt been made.
I do like the KC daylighters a lot.
Have you had any problems with rust on the reflectors?
They are currently second on the list.
The ones that PUX posted are a very reasonable price too.
I could get 4 KC's for the price of a pair of Light Force.
 :-k
This need more thought.
 :roll:
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2006, 23:12:31 »
I dont have the KCs anymore-silly me left them on the Cherokee when i sold it, i had them 5yrs and no rust on reflectors at all-but i used to
fill the crevice around the lamp body with Vasoline before fitting the lens
this is really effective as a water repellent-better than Silocone and easier to take apart again, i use Phillips zenon uprated headlights with cheapo
Ring 55w roof spots thru fear of theft , but now the toerags are just ripping
the whole bar off the roof :roll:  :roll:
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Slimer

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2006, 08:29:59 »
The Lighforces are brilliant Jake, give me a shout one evening and I'll show you just how bright they are. I've got the standard spot/long range lenses on the center pair and the combo ones on the outer pair. They're as tough as they say and adjustable too, not the cheapest but worth the money IMHO

Si

Offline Henry Webster

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 09:37:41 »
Jake,

As I say my KCs are about twenty years old and despite being a bit tatty are absolutely fine.  Mine are 130w sealed beam units.

H

Roofus

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2006, 08:08:25 »
You simply can't beat Lightforce. Not sure you'd need four! I have 2 & with the fact that you can adjust the beam from narrow to wide.....they cover a huge area!
They are incredibly strong & 100% waterproof!

PUX

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2006, 17:29:05 »
well went to get them procomp jobbies130watt at 16.45 quid but got told that there was an error on there site so they are 55w :roll:  :roll:  i could upgrade to 130watt bulbs :roll:  :?  not sure wot to do now :?

Offline bronco

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2006, 19:36:24 »
Quote from: "PUX"
well went to get them procomp jobbies130watt at 16.45 quid but got told that there was an error on there site so they are 55w :roll:  :roll:  i could upgrade to 130watt bulbs :roll:  :?  not sure wot to do now :?

55W wee poor
130w good but as they're bulbs get super hot and we weren't getting to petrol on some events before one went-sealed beams really if  going 100w +

Remember you get what you pay for :wink:

KC's = 8)

Can't comment on Lightforce -think some of the Welsh lads run 'em and rate 'em but too rich for my blood.
Just my 2 cents worth.

PUX

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2006, 07:54:51 »
Quote from: "bronco"

55W wee poor
130w good but as they're bulbs get super hot and we weren't getting to petrol on some events before one went-sealed beams really if  going 100w +

Remember you get what you pay for :wink:

KC's = 8)

Can't comment on Lightforce -think some of the Welsh lads run 'em and rate 'em but too rich for my blood.
Just my 2 cents worth.
i cant afford lightforce :oops:  but the guy said the lights are desigend to have 130watt bulbs in so if they melt then he will be getting em back :shock:

Offline the invisible dog

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2006, 09:00:46 »
Quote from: "Henry Webster"
Jake,

As I say my KCs are about twenty years old and despite being a bit tatty are absolutely fine.  Mine are 130w sealed beam units.

H

Mine ain't quite that age but definitely recommend the sealed beam units  ;)

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:36 »
Quote from: "bronco"

55W wee poor

Apart from the Hella that met several fence posts I don't think we've blown a 130w bulb yet this year in 6 or 7 events.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline Brains

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2006, 15:25:17 »
Got four Wipac Spots on Doodlebug, seem pretty bright and aren't overly expensive either :wink:

I can also vouch for the headlight upgrade, carn't rember who we got them from :evil: think it was somebody of ebay :wink: But they make a big difference :twisted:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal