AuthorTopic: Discovery 1996 V8 3.9i ES gas converted... your help please!  (Read 5420 times)

Harry Horse

Discovery 1996 V8 3.9i ES gas converted... your help please!
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:43:32 »
Hi, my names Bruce, I have just bought a really nice example of this Disco and delighted I am too...! BUT...

When I bought it, the radio and seperate cd player (under the seat job) worked fine.. but now when I turn on the ignition.. there is a bump..something like a radio turning on or a bass speaker going bump and the radio asks for the code every time! Also, the interior lights have all stopped working... I have changed all the door switches to try and sort this but still no different..! also it doesnt always let me start her up... as if I have left it in drive and it wont start till I put it back in park... maybe its a switch, maybe its the imobaliser, maybe its all related...ooh!  HELP?

If anyone knows or IS an electritech... can you help me please... I am worried that something is shorting and it may just stop altogether one day when I'm miles from home... If theres a mobile electrical Landy genius who's a member.. I will be happy to pay you for your time etc...and make wicked bacon sarnies and Tea...

I also need a new key fob...like asap in case this one stops working... coz I hear they can be a pig if the stop working! Any suggestions as to the best place for a new fob please?

Also...some thought on the CAT converter.... Its gone, I think.. do I need to replace it or can I just put a sports type exhaust on it? or even a straight though pipe for more V8 grumble! It is of course gas converted and whilst some MOT stations say if it comes in on gas.. we test it on gas... others say they may ask you to turn it off gas onto petrol... so a straight through or sports type exhaust would be high on their emissions list I guess.... anybody been there n done this?

Thanks for your time reading it... Im new to mud club and think its a great place to play n chat...

Cheers

Bruce

ChrisW

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 13:10:27 »
Could possibly be the fuse has gone on the permanent 12V feed to the radio maybe? Can't remember where these fuses are, think they are under the drop down flap beneath the steering wheel.

Can't really comment as to starting but isn't it a some sort of safety feature built in that you can't start it in drive? Or am I thinking about having to put your foot on the brake before taking it out of park.  :?:

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 15:34:56 »
Quote from: "ChrisW70"
Can't really comment as to starting but isn't it a some sort of safety feature built in that you can't start it in drive? Or am I thinking about having to put your foot on the brake before taking it out of park.  :?:

The Auto boxes have an inhibitor switch that will only allow the vehicle to be started in Park (and I think Neutral)

As Chris says, check the fuses... it may be that the radio and internal lights are both on the same feed.....
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 15:36:24 »
As far as the Cat goes... technically speaking it should be on the vehicle in order to pass the MOT.... so you ought to look at replacing it.

What makes you think it has failed ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Harry Horse

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 16:36:58 »
OK, seems like I may be giving the wrong ideas... my radio works, but I have to enter the code every time the key is removed...

The exhaust is fine, but I think, judging by the rattle that the CAT may have gone....

So, keeping in mind this is a gas V8 it will have low emissions, I wondered has anybody taken the CAT off and added either a gutsy wide bore or stright through style or sports exhaust and if so, how did it effect the MOT, mine has an MOT now, but ovbiously may fail emissions if its tested on petrol when its next due....

As for the engine not turning over... it may be just a switch somewhere.. what I was trying to explian was that the symptoms are like having it in gear when its actually in park... all the lights are on but nothing happens when you turn the key (other than the bump!)... it may be the imobiliser thats causing the problem if the alarm is not fully resetting...I dont know

AND...today in the rain.... I have a shower fitted under the rear sun roof... aint the guys at Land Rover thoughtful people?

Any way, hope this clears the unclear or confuses the confused even more... (weak smiley :-)  )

ChrisW

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 22:05:34 »
The radio will have two supplies to it, one that switches on and off with the ignition to run the general power to the set and a permanent supply that keeps the memory, stations stored etc - does it lose the presets as well when you turn it on? It sounds like the permanent supply fuse has gone which will mean you can still turn it on etc but it will ask for the code every time you do (just be thankful you do have the code!).

Only ever driven and owned a manual box so pass on that one  :oops:

Welcome to the wet world of discovery's! There are some pdf files on 'remedying' water ingress I think I might have them somewhere - around the rear alpine windows is another common favourite.
Mine comes in on the front sunroof but as long as I keep it parked on a slight incline facing uphill its fine  :evil:

Offline stefan

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:00:28 »
Bruce,

Ref the starting issue, when you are turning the key try moving the gear lever slightly, just sort of joggle it in it's park mode without pressing in the button, or try it in neutral and see what happens, it seems to me that it could be a dodgy inhibitor switch located in the gear lever console. I had a similar issue on my old V8i.

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 09:10:17 »
Judging by the fact the interior lights have also ceased to function - it may well be the 'multifunction unit' playing silly devils -which they are very proned to do. This may acutally explain all the issues your having (the MFU is part of virtually all the electrical circuits IIRC).

Might not be the answer, but it's certainly the issue with our Holly (also gassed v8 auto) with no interior lights and a dodgy feed to the radio (until we jury rigged it!)

cheers
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal