AuthorTopic: Disco 1 Winch Bumper....Which One..???  (Read 14059 times)

Guardian.

Disco 1 Winch Bumper....Which One..???
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 17:30:18 »
i would go for a nice guardian tubular winch bumper, fully loaded with all the bitz you like for under £200.
we have several mud club members as customers with them.

Offline landroverkeith

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 18:35:12 »
Quote from: "guardian off road product"
i would go for a nice guardian tubular winch bumper, fully loaded with all the bitz you like for under £200.
we have several mud club members as customers with them.

Under 200 ? runs off to check the missus eint looking b4 ordering
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 22:42:31 »
Quote from: "SnakeLogic"
I've seen some posts that allude to Scorpion being an unethical company.  Why is that?

i'm not going to say too much on here, as i know the forum has rules regarding bitching about people and companies... but, the company you mention has a healthy reputation for non-existant customer service, shoddy springs that sag after a short while, sky-high pricing... and a good line in ripping off smaller companies, copying their designs and passing them off as their own.

there are plenty of other suppliers out there, with fair pricing, good quality gear, good reputations and some ethics...

i'd start with Devon 4x4, Gwyn Lewis 4x4, X-Eng or Mill services.

do search on some of the other forums (LR4x4.com in particular) to get the real story behind Scorpion, then make your own mind up.
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline SnakeLogic

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 13:42:02 »
Ok, a little help, please.  My 300 Disco is a 5 door, and I am NOT interested in getting into cutting the rear doors.  That said, I'm going to do a 2" lift for the purpose of putting on bigger tires to get me a little more ground clearance.  So, I've had a look at the handy tire size chart, but need to know it that applies to 5-doors as well.  With a 5-door, am I more limited to a "Camel cut"?  and if so, what can I fit on then?  I'd like to go with 265 75 16's, but will I have to settle for 245 75 16's?  

Anybody with any experience in this matter, please let me know.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 15:23:42 »
Snakelogic,

As far as I know the "Camel Cut" is an angled cut on the rear part of the rear wheel arch. If you think about the way the trailing arm works, the axle pivots about the point where the trailing arms meet the chassis, so the wheels move up AND back in the wheel arch.

Skibum

Offline Horness

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 11:31:36 »
Finally fitted the replacement bumper - opted for a D44 non-winch in the end (right at the time of purchase!), for a number of reasons...
  • I'd hardly use one
  • It's extra weight to cart around during the day-to-day driving
  • It's a beacon for theives
  • I'd sooner put one on a demountable plate

Click to enlarge (141Kb)

Very impressed with the quality, and I'm happy with the design which kept things close to the style of the Discovery (not a fan of tubular bumpers).  Just the lights to refit now.  :wink:

More photo's here.

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 14:03:30 »
Here's mine

Padia bumper and a cheapo winch

wizard :twisted:

gords

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 14:21:24 »
Wizard, how does your number plate attach (detach)?

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 18:25:40 »
I bought the paida one with a champion winch - I am very happy with it!

Looks nice and is very robust (ask the Honda Accord drive who drove in to it and didnt even scratch the coating!)

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 18:26:43 »
I have screwed two spring clips on the back.
similar to these

they are about £2 from B&Q

Regards

gords

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2007, 18:38:30 »
Quote from: "wizard"
I have screwed two spring clips on the back.

and they clip to the rollers? Typical, I haven't got a roller fairlead as I've got plasma rope :roll:

Offline wizard

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 19:17:25 »
Yep they are spaced to clip onto the rollers, a bit of a hassle if you have plasma rope !!

Offline DurtyDisco

Attack Member
General Comments......
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2007, 18:07:01 »
I know its probably been said, but check the mounting dimensions of the winch and bumper.

A couple of years ago I bought a Ryder Retirever 9000i from a firm in Liverpool, and was enthusiastically informed it was based on the Warn 9000, it would fit any bumper..... to find it didnt even come close......

Took me 6 months to find a company that did make a bumper to fit the Ryder Retriever (which is actually a rebadged Come Up) and got the bumper I needed.

My thanks go out to Phil Gordon at PG Winches in Dorset, by the way they can overhaul most winches be they uk, us or asian..

My other comment is about Scorpion Racing, they are like most companies on the planet, they have some very very good kit, they have some mediocre kit and they have some not so good kit. Sometimes the customer service is good (when you standing in front of them in the shop!) and sometimes it leaves a bit to be desired!!

My advice is to shop around and buy what you need from the various places...... then stick with the suppliers who give you the best value add. Its not all about who is cheapest sometimes!!

My rear bumper  and detachable tow bar from Scorpion is fantastic quality, well made and fits like a glove and looks the dogs, but they sent the wrong recovery swivel boss, short one for the front bumper not the longer one for the back, forget to include the locking pin for the drop plate and took 5 weeks to deliver something that was supposedly in stock.......they fixed it in two days by sending the correct parts. Right 1st time would have been nice but sorted eventually, nuff said.

Those spring clips are bloody handy for clipping your maglite in the car too..... wrap some electrical tape round the ally body to protect it and off you go!!

2008 Discovery 3 G4 Edition - Still grinning like a small child!

1996 Green 300TDi Commercial - Big Bird - Very
modified!

Guardian.

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 18:10:20 »
i think that the clips are an ace idea for number plates on winch bumpers, i am always getting asked 'where do i put my numberplate?',  well now i will have a decent answer for em.
thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal