AuthorTopic: 9/11 can you remember where u was??  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Rangie3.0LtrDan

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
9/11 can you remember where u was??
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 12:42:50 »
I was in bed, me mum foned me and told me to go watch the news.
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.

1982 Range Rover 3.0Ltr Turbo Diesel - Redun

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2006, 13:14:14 »
I was on nightshift that night and got up early, switched on the TV and saw it on the BBC just after the second tower had been hit, then I switched over to CNN to watch it.
Spent the rest of that day in front of the telly until I had to get ready for work at 7pm.

I remember the CNN reporter was stood with his back to the towers when the first one collapsed. At first he thought the smoke had just got worse and then realised what was happening.

Hats off to all the reporters from CNN that I watched that day, they all remained professional throughout, what must have been, a horrendous days work for them.   =D>

Offline sulley

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2006, 14:32:22 »
I was at work in London, in a bank.  The IT team who I worked with just downed tools and sat watching it on the TV.

Our traders downstairs were frantically calling people in Cantor Fitzgerald in WTC, then the lines just went dead!!!

My bi*** of a boss turned and said "I can't stand here all day I've got a department to run" and walked off!!

Offline landyman37

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2006, 19:50:05 »
I was just pulling up behind a broken down truck at juction 2 of the m5.Strange how you can remember as if it was yesterday.
Regards Phil

Ya twisting me melons man.

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2006, 21:14:34 »
Quote from: "landyman37"
I was just pulling up behind a broken down truck at juction 2 of the m5.Strange how you can remember as if it was yasterday.
I know what you mean i can also remember i was listening to steve wright (i think)
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Andy 300tdi

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2006, 21:50:13 »
Stood in the I.T. office at work watching it live on T.V.
life's to short to drive crap.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 22:41:54 »
Actually i think one of the things I had forgotten about was the way the world just seemd to stop and hold its breath. I didnt apreciate it at the time but now everyone else mentions it I remeber.

Funny how that happens. Something bad or even just very risky happenes, not necesarilly somethign like that and its just as if the world is waiting for the next step. You see it in the environment around you, peoples faces, somehow even nature seems to know.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline simdeb

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 23:11:37 »
i felt guilty as i was enjoying myself with my kids at a local mother and toddler heard about it when when we got home.

debbie
North Nottinghamshire rep for GLASS

nottinghamshirenorth.rep@glass-uk.org

att

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 00:07:40 »
I know where I was, I also knew where I was when the IRA detonated bombs in Manchester and Warrington.

At least we knew what was happening, the Yanks just chose to ignore what was coming through pure arrogance.

9/11 was not that special for me, nor will it ever be.

It is just another messed up episode in a world full of greed and destruction. :roll:

I totally understand where BinLaden is coming from.....I am not too keen on capitalism and I would not want democracy shoved down my throat by greedy westerners....I do not condone his methods, but I undersatnd the reasons behind them.

Try walking a mile in a Muslims shoes in Iraq or Iran or anywhere in the Mid- East....Would you wnat your core beleifs taken from you?

9/11 was necessary, just as all wars are.

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2006, 08:31:30 »
Quote from: "att"
I know where I was, I also knew where I was when the IRA detonated bombs in Manchester and Warrington.

At least we knew what was happening, the Yanks just chose to ignore what was coming through pure arrogance.

It is just another messed up episode in a world full of greed and destruction. :roll:

I totally understand where BinLaden is coming from.....I am not too keen on capitalism and I would not want democracy shoved down my throat by greedy westerners....I do not condone his methods, but I undersatnd the reasons behind them.

Try walking a mile in a Muslims shoes in Iraq or Iran or anywhere in the Mid- East....Would you wnat your core beleifs taken from you?

:? errr? how do you reply to this???
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Baby_Rhino

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 09:25:46 »
Walking from school to my mates house, as she had just been cleared of a megingitus scare. We fogot all the "get well" messages and jokes and glued ourselves to the tv for the rest of the day.
4x4x4play! ;) They call me Emms...

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2006, 09:25:56 »

Almost 3000 human beings died in that short couple of hours. Americans or not these were people, many of whome were doing a job to save the lives of other. People like you and me. The uk has NEVER suffered a terrorist attck even close to the scale of this. Sure we lived with the IRA for years but theres a huge difference.

I started this post to remeber those who died, not to start a debate on right and wrong.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2006, 10:35:25 »
I was working as a car valeter back then.
We were cleaning a Vauxhall Sintra at the time and one of the salesmen told us to get the radio on.
Then we noticed that the Sintra had 2 tv's in the head rests (customers car) and we all gathered around.
I was a bit shell shocked at the time and worried about my parents (they live in California) because i thought it was all out war!
All this on the day before my brithday too.
 :(
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

att

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2006, 11:03:10 »
Quote from: "Evilgoat"

Almost 3000 human beings died in that short couple of hours. Americans or not these were people, many of whome were doing a job to save the lives of other. People like you and me. The uk has NEVER suffered a terrorist attck even close to the scale of this. Sure we lived with the IRA for years but theres a huge difference.

I started this post to remeber those who died, not to start a debate on right and wrong.

I can respect that, but......It is an emotive issue that goes very deep with myself.

Offline madmatt

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2006, 17:09:17 »
I had just got back in the truck at Wickes in  town turned radio on It was steve Wright on Radio 2.

as for 7/7 london Bombings we were winching a tree out of the wreake in Melton park. We stopped what we were doing wandered into the centre to watch it on telly.
Land Rover Defender 130 with Hyd winch and Log splitter, also has just the odd light here and there!!!

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2006, 17:50:27 »
The 7/7 bombings were a bit more scary.
I was in Tavistock Square the day before.
On the day we worried about our colleagues that were delivering in London but all were OK.
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2006, 18:24:44 »
I was at school getting shouted at for watching the tv
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

Offline vod

Attack Member
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2006, 22:48:39 »
I was taking my wife and daughter to Heathrow to get on a plane to New York to see wife's mother.
Daughter was asleep in the car so we didn't have the radio on - Got in a lift at the airport and a guy asks where we are going - When we said he started to tell us what had happened - I thought why would someone try and make a 3 year old feel so bad about flying with such a load of BS - I was ready to deck him.
Walked in to the terminal and there was not a sound - Very strange feeling.

Got to give full marks to Virgin - Got all our money back, even the booking fee.

Anyone who can condone the killing of so many innocent people is sick - If that was an act of war where were the military they were attacking?

Offline snezza69

Attack Member
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2006, 17:00:00 »
I was serving in Germany but on leave back in the UK.  I remember seeing the live footage just after the first plane struck and thought it was a new take on the Orson Wells radio show (War of the Worlds).  It took almost 5 mins to fully realise it was real and then I felt sick.

I was surprised the following day at the port at Harwich, the papers were full of all the gory details including pictures of those who chose to jump (I still think that those images were printed irresponsibly).  There seemed to be no additional security at the port!

The next 6 weeks at work were hard too as the alert state went through the roof and paranoia set in.

I hope we never have to witness an atrocity like that again.  Worse things have happened of course and I am sure more will.  It was just because of the media coverage (live) that made it as shocking.
Snezza69

I wish this project would just hurry up and finish!

But I don't think it will if I keep making simple mistakes

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2006, 17:07:18 »
I was at home watching it all happen on Sky News.  :(
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline Range Rover Red

Attack Member
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2006, 00:05:52 »
I can still remember my boss coming back into the office and saying 'I've just heard the most dreadful news ...' her next few words as she explained what had happened are a blur - it took a couple of days for it to sink in that anyone was capable of such an act.

I think what I found most shocking was that the victims of the attacks were ordinary people, exactly the same as me, who had gone to work as normal to pay the bills.  No matter what the organisation is, what the nature of its business is, how powerful, how glamorous, it still needs its cleaners, its admin staff, its catering staff and all the other usually unsung support staff, in order to function, in other words all the ordinary plebs like me, and these were amongst the victims.

RIP ALL the innocent victims of terrorism.
Jeremy Clarkson's worst nightmare - a woman driver in a 4x4 towing a caravan

Offline abinitio

Attack Member
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2006, 00:29:19 »
It was(still is) my birthday, when plane one hit I was in my car on my way home from work so got home and put sky news on immediatly to see second plane hit.
If I wanted a clever answer, I'd have asked a clever person!

1994 Blue 300Tdi 110 CSW
1989 Blue 2.5P 110 CSW
1982 Gold 3.5P Vogue (Currently without MOT)

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 08:10:58 »
Was at home watching it all happen on BBC news, sitting there absolutely stunned and thinking the sh**s really hit the fan now.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2006, 13:24:55 »
was running a busy mot station, when the lads came in from the workshop and told me the news, turned over the corparate tv in reception, and yes was very hard to believe what was going on in front of me,  At that same time we fairly but completely slated a chaps nova on its test, he just paid up and said "on the scheme of things my mot isnt worth getting worried about" How very true,

As a reality check when things are "bad" for me i simply think of other parts of the world -- famine,disease, violence, terrorism , dictatorship-the list goes on-- and brings me back to reality , I guess most us arevery lucky really,    I moan about being skint/overdrawn, poo on from most angles ect ect and then really i have 8ugger all to winge about really, things could be a LOT worse

for 7/7 i was in my first week of training to become a guard on the railways,  i now am,

On a lighter note i guess having a overdraft n being skint is the price we pay for dabbling with the green oval ???
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

dew1911

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2006, 13:26:37 »
Got home from school, about an hour later dad comes home "You seen what's happening? They're at war out their." And turns sky news on

For 7/7 I was doing work experience in the parts stock room at Hadwins Audi, first we knew was when one of them got a message on his bleeper (Regestered Paramedic) and we turned the BBC News Website on.

Offline hrh_dave

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Lybster, Caithness
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2006, 14:12:07 »
I was sat watching it unfold with Sky/Fox news coverage in a Government Press Office.
"Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away."
www.terranomade.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal