AuthorTopic: On Road toy - What to buy ??  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Evilgoat

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
On Road toy - What to buy ??
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 08:56:03 »
Hmm so we want practical and fast...

RS2
0-60 in 4.6s on a stock one, not many were left stock. And its an estate so you get the best of everything. Its the well known and loved Audi 20VT 5 Cylinder with a bit of Porsche magic.

Problem is, finding one and they still go for at least £12k even though most are M reg
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline steve_h

Attack Member
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 13:56:20 »
Erm...   cat amongst pidgeons time,

How about:

V8 Ninety, fit autobox, convert to a soft-top/SV/NAS type, stiffen (lower  :?: ) suspension, road tyres, bling wheels, leather seats, nice paint job...

Got to be do-able for 10K? Scare the hell out of all the Chav corsas at the traffic lights  8)

My idea anyway.

Steve.
300Tdi Disco - K30 MUD
Lifted 2" with Britpart & Procomp
265/75 Cooper STT Muds
steering guard and modified bumper

Offline Ben

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 15:08:16 »
Another cat? Those pigeons will be well scattered by now  :shock:

How about a Skoda Octavia vRS MkI? Same 1.8T engine as in the base spec Audi TT, putting out 180BHP.

Looking at 0-60 in about 8 seconds (for the estate - the hatch is slightly faster), and  the engine can be tuned (without too many headaches) to about 225BHP, although I've heard of them going much higher than that - they tend to go bang a bit quicker the higher you go!

The MkII's also available, running a 2.0 normally aspirated engine, kicking out about 190BHP, although the 10k budget's more likely to bag you a very, very good MkI.

I've got a '53 plate MkI estate, and I'm very happy with it. Paid about 11k for it 8 months ago. It's come in very useful while moving house as I don't currently have a Land Rover :(

Handles really, really well, and seems to put the power down a lot better than my previous VAG vehicles (Passat and Golf, both with 130BHP TDi's). Really stable in and out of corners, although I've not had it on a track yet.

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 18:42:21 »
Quote from: "Rich_P"
What about a Westfield?

Westfield + Rover V8.... Drool Material...  :P

or even better a westfield with a suzuki hayabusa engine... 0-60 approx 2 seconds.. makes ANY supercar lok silly.. and they are made about 1 mile from me ;)
200 bhp and they weigh about the same as an anorexic gnat. plus they rev to 13000 rpm :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 18:47:25 »
Or why not go 'old school' and get a Genuine Ford Cossie??
or even better E type (ok so for 10k it'd be a 'ropey' one..)
or (about to upset BTM) a 635Csi BMW?? I would give my kids / right testical/left arm / 1st born etc  for one of those.. theres a stunning BLACK one in kings heath ..drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 20:42:29 »
Quote from: "bezzabsa"

(about to upset BTM) a 635Csi BMW??

Noooooooooooooo :shock:  :shock:

Red brace wearing yuppie-mobile
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline DiscoJim

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2006, 20:52:47 »
I voted to get a Merc, they are cracking cars and you can get alot of car for a lot less than your £10k budget. The sound of a Merc V8 or V12 is hard to beat, they are also very reliable and easy to work on.

I restored a 500 SEC a few years back, fantastic car, ever so fast (in a straight line!!) limo like comfort.
1995 Discovery 300TDi
+2" Suspension Lift
Pro-Comps
Winch
Uprated Intercooler
BFG A/Ts

Offline John T

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2006, 22:50:02 »
Quote from: "DiscoJim"
I voted to get a Merc, they are cracking cars and you can get alot of car for a lot less than your £10k budget. The sound of a Merc V8 or V12 is hard to beat, they are also very reliable and easy to work on.

I restored a 500 SEC a few years back, fantastic car, ever so fast (in a straight line!!) limo like comfort.

I was favouring the Merc until I started reading their owners forums on the SL's, doesn't make very good reading (or is it that the only people that use the forums are the ones with problems)
I've just sold a ML270 and I've got to say wasn't too impresed with the quality, but I believe the cars could be better.

After trying a 928 s4  :shock:  :D  I'm starting to head in that direction, although another thought I had was.................................................

Mulsane Turbo  :twisted:  :twisted:
Disco 300 3door
+2 Lift
33 x 12.50's
Devon Arches
D44 Bumper
Warn xd 9000

2001 TD5 ES7

Offline John T

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2006, 22:53:52 »
Quote from: "steve_h"

How about:

V8 Ninety, fit autobox, convert to a soft-top/SV/NAS type, stiffen (lower  :?: ) suspension, road tyres, bling wheels, leather seats, nice paint job...

Got to be do-able for 10K? Scare the hell out of all the Chav corsas at the traffic lights  8)

My idea anyway.

Steve.

Steve, I've been down the V8 90 route allready, and to be honest Land Rovers should be where they work best......... Off Road :lol:
Disco 300 3door
+2 Lift
33 x 12.50's
Devon Arches
D44 Bumper
Warn xd 9000

2001 TD5 ES7

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 21:13:01 »
re the Jaguar XJR, been looking at those myself, saw a gorgeous one t'other day on flebay, went for £3k...now thats in my budget :D:D:D
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 21:14:27 »
Quote from: "John T"

How about:

My idea anyway.

Steve.

Steve, I've been down the V8 90 route allready, and to be honest Land Rovers should be where they work best......... Off Road :lol:

how about an overfinch Rangie???
best of both worlds, or an early tickford turbo en-vogue? rare as a rare thing in a hens tooth
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2006, 21:41:19 »
what about a toyota supra... the twin turbo model was seriously tuneable, and there are some fantastic ones about for £10k...

....or a proper skyline....

or find some more money and track down a lotus carlton....

...or, if you can stand the chavyness... a subaru... serious road speed for £10K

steer clear of cossies... silly repair bills, and many are heading for 20 years of age, and will have been thrashed repeatedly during that time.

just remember that proper speed costs proper money, usually in servicing and repair bills.........

personally i'd go for an early 1990's porsche 911, timeless cool, proper scary performance, VW build quality, easy to get parts, reasonable(ish) running costs.... and scream like nothing on earth when you realy open them up.....
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

Offline John T

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2006, 22:41:45 »
Quote from: "bezzabsa"

How about:

My idea anyway.

Steve.

how about an overfinch Rangie???
best of both worlds, or an early tickford turbo en-vogue? rare as a rare thing in a hens tooth

Overfinch 5.7tpi ....... :twisted:    been there - done that.

Chevy 350 powered 90......... :twisted:  :twisted:    Been there aswell !

Cossie..........been there aswell (In my younger days)
Disco 300 3door
+2 Lift
33 x 12.50's
Devon Arches
D44 Bumper
Warn xd 9000

2001 TD5 ES7

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2006, 22:53:58 »
How about a 6x6 101?
Sorry, that was a shameless plug...  On the bright side, you'd get the two kids in the back OK, and it is a V8!
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline rangerider

Attack Member
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2006, 13:21:20 »
nissan skyline gtr!!!!!!!!

or if you want to be a little less lunatic and get something that was available in this country the 200sx is fun on roundabouts with rear drive and plenty poke.
Hela - Disco 200TDi, Still stock for now but watch this space.......
+ 1 battlescar

I lurv the smell of mud in the mornin'

Offline DiscoJim

Attack Member
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2006, 13:28:41 »
I was favouring the Merc until I started reading their owners forums on the SL's, doesn't make very good reading (or is it that the only people that use the forums are the ones with problems)
I've just sold a ML270 and I've got to say wasn't too impresed with the quality, but I believe the cars could be better.

After trying a 928 s4  :shock:  :D  I'm starting to head in that direction, although another thought I had was.................................................

I have had quite a few Mercs now, yes some owners have their problems and yes you only tend to hear about the problems rather than the praise. I have to say the original ML's were bad, very bad actually. The build quality was quite shocking nowhere near as good as the old G wagens but then a different market I guess. I hear the latest ML's are OK.

The cars are OK, avoid C and E classes from mid 90's to 2002 ish, they rust terrible! The SL's and S's and upper market cars seem to be OK. I have a 2003 E320CDi and am very impressed with it, loads of power and very economical for a big car, 44mpg+ is the norm on a long trip.

I have friends with E55AMG's and SL55AMG's and they don't feel that much quicker or better to me, on paper only a few seconds difference.
1995 Discovery 300TDi
+2" Suspension Lift
Pro-Comps
Winch
Uprated Intercooler
BFG A/Ts

Offline John T

Attack Member
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2006, 15:32:30 »
Quote from: "DiscoJim"

I have had quite a few Mercs now, yes some owners have their problems and yes you only tend to hear about the problems rather than the praise. I have to say the original ML's were bad, very bad actually. The build quality was quite shocking nowhere near as good as the old G wagens but then a different market I guess. I hear the latest ML's are OK.

The cars are OK, avoid C and E classes from mid 90's to 2002 ish, they rust terrible! The SL's and S's and upper market cars seem to be OK. I have a 2003 E320CDi and am very impressed with it, loads of power and very economical for a big car, 44mpg+ is the norm on a long trip.

I have friends with E55AMG's and SL55AMG's and they don't feel that much quicker or better to me, on paper only a few seconds difference.

Got to say, I am starting to favour the Merc now - if only the rear seats were a bit bigger...........
Disco 300 3door
+2 Lift
33 x 12.50's
Devon Arches
D44 Bumper
Warn xd 9000

2001 TD5 ES7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal