AuthorTopic: Spring & Shock Combo  (Read 6247 times)

Offline toger

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 09:21:34 »
Quote from: "Bulli"
Bigger tyres give you the best increase in performance for the least cost.

Bulli,
Having pm'd Horness for his tyre size i found this thread :oops:
Reading what you posted had me thinking, what size tyre were you talking about please as the time is approaching for me to buy new tyres for my disco.
Regards
Toger
2001 Disco2 Td5
www.onthelashwithtoger.com

Offline Cal

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 10:33:39 »
Hi Horness,

No pics yet I'm afraid, but yes I specified the Disco ones when ordering and have spoken to another couple of people who had to do the same to fit them to their D1s - it's not tricky - can be done with a round file just as easily as with any gadgetry. I got HD spring retainers from Paddocks whilst I was at it and some HD shock turrets. I saw that Devon 4x4 do the HD retainers, but only saw ones for the rear listed so got front and rear from Paddocks whilst I had an order with them anyway.

If you're not going for a really extreme set up I would have thought it unlikely that you would be able to get the springs to drop all the way to the bottom of the relocation cones (though I could be wrong!) so you should be OK getting all the stuff you need from Paddocks to save you another batch of postage...

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2006, 16:43:44 »
Cheers Cal.

The setup is not for "extreme" use, but equally I don't want to end up in trouble either.  I'll get the cones ordered from Devon (and a couple of other bits) and see how I fare.  :wink:

Horness

Offline daveyravey

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2006, 17:07:04 »
Is ther any more body roll noticable, or does it tighten things up on the road ?
Thinking about a 2" lift myself, cos i grounded one of the lpg tanks out today.  Is it nessesary to use the cranked rear arms ?
Landyless

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 08:37:25 »
Quote from: "diamond dave"
Is ther any more body roll noticable, or does it tighten things up on the road ?
Thinking about a 2" lift myself, cos i grounded one of the lpg tanks out today.  Is it nessesary to use the cranked rear arms ?

I've just fitted +2" HD springs and Old Man Emu shocks.  The ride is a lot more "controlled", with less body roll.  This is due more to the harder setup though, rather than the lift.
Brake line wise there was some 4+ inches of slack, so they did not need extending (may change out anyway in the future), the only thing I missed off was the dislocation cones (which I'm ordering this week!).

If it need them, and funds allow, then I may fit cranked rear arms - but next time it goes in for a service, we'll have a good look all over just to be sure.

Offline nishikigoi

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2006, 12:12:30 »
I use my ES for shooting from, carcase recovery when stalking, rough shooting, clay shooting and green lanes etc, I went for a 2" lift with bearmach springs and procomp shocks, I'm very happy with a stable ride now (much better than the 12 year old original springs!). Add 235/85 tyres and your going to sit nice and high 8)

Looks very nice with the tube bumper and gives such an improvement to attack angle, the keeper at the estate I stalk keeps asking me to go out and stalk/retrieve problem areas with him, a nice problem to have :lol:
'94 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 TDi

Due to cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished.....

Offline Horness

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2006, 12:20:09 »
Quote from: "nishikigoi"
I use my ES for shooting from, carcase recovery when stalking, rough shooting, clay shooting and green lanes etc, I went for a 2" lift with bearmach springs and procomp shocks, I'm very happy with a stable ride now (much better than the 12 year old original springs!). Add 235/85 tyres and your going to sit nice and high 8)

Looks very nice with the tube bumper and gives such an improvement to attack angle, the keeper at the estate I stalk keeps asking me to go out and stalk/retrieve problem areas with him, a nice problem to have :lol:

Nice one mate - sounds like you use your Disco the same way I do.  :wink:   You're welcome over at the Keep Britain Shooting Forums any time.  I'm trying to make it the shooting equivalent of Mud-Club.  :wink:  It's new, so watch out for wet paint.

I'm just waiting for my BFG 235/70's to wear down a bit, then it's on with some 85's.

Should get my winch bumper this week.  Went for the Scorpion one mainly because I wanted to keep the look the same, and wanted something with recovery and jacking points up front.  Also had an offer I could not refuse, which means I ended up paying very little for it.  :twisted:

Offline Leigh

Attack Member
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 18:14:27 »
If you haven't already ordered your rear cones I have a pair of axle mounted ones I'm selling there's a pic in the for sale section

Pm me if interested  :wink:

Cheers
Leigh

110 Defender 300 tdi

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Spring & Shock Combo
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 20:58:06 »
No you don't need cranked rear armsa but with a lift the cghasssi mounting busk is already distroted at rest so when the axles droop shtat bush starts to resist downwards travel, much worse when you use polybushes.

Having seen Sooty bend a rear arms at Whaddon last year I decided to get strenghtened arms and they might as well be cranked.

BTW I still run with ARB fitted but I'm working on a solution..........
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal