AuthorTopic: Noisy transfer box  (Read 2724 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Noisy transfer box
« on: July 28, 2006, 18:02:45 »
Over the last few days, the Sammy has developed a really nasty clunking noise from the transmission. Put it on stands and got under it last night. Not the safest thing to do with the engine running and in gear... but had to do it to find the noise.

Turns out to be the 410 transfer box I put in a few weeks ago  :evil: I am more than happy that the seller didn't know of any problems, but it is one of those annoying things. At least it's an easy job to get it out.

I suspect it's the intermediate shaft needle bearings since I can't find any play in the output flanges. Can anyone tell me if the needle bearings are the same as the ones in the 413 transfer box? If so, I'll split them both open and build one good one from the two.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 16:31:17 »
The wonder of main dealers, eh?

I'm rebuilding the transfer box and wanted to buy shims to set the clearances on the input and output shafts. The local main dealer could not help without a VIN number..... it's a 410 box fitted to a 413.... like I'm going to have a VIN number!!!

Anyway, he faxed me a copy of the exploded view and there are no shims listed at all! So, where do I get the shims from if they aren't even listed by the dealer?
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline minimog

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 22:48:11 »
theres no shims on the input shaft there is two in the intermediate shaft
just striped mine and found the input rear bearing was shot   check for backlash in the diffs and t case also check the u j on the props
WHAT UR ASKED WHEN YOU OWN A MOG
"What the f**ks that"
"where do you take it"
"Why has it got a merc star on it"

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 16:39:54 »
It appears there are 3 different designs of 410 transfer box. Mine certainly has shims on both input and output shafts to set the endfloat.

The centre gear in mine doesn't have any shims, just standard size thrust washers.

All the bits finally arrived today, so I've a got a coupele of evenings work ahead to put it back together!

The noise was definately from the transfer box. With the car running in gear there was an obvious clunking from it... I'me guessing the centre shaft thrusts were worn and it was banging backwards and forwards.

The UJ's seem fine to me. If there is any play, it is only a tiny amount. And there is no more play in the propshaft splines than you would expect.

Anyway, we shall see (or hear maybe!) in a couple of days!!

Looks like I'm going to get the remains of a 410 MOT failure for free if I take it away soon. So that might prove useful  :D
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 08:22:54 »
There are no shims shown in the genuine workshop manual, yet on most of the tranny cases Ive stripped/rebuilt(10+) there were shims in them all. More than 1 in most cases, hinting that they are shimmed up at the factory. Ive run them without shims and had no grief tho.
The intermediate shaft does wear, the bearings are usually good but the case hardening on the shaft fails, the bearings do fail after a while, but if its clunking lots, check the hi-lo selector ring on the lower shaft.

On some cases, Ive seen the teeth on the selector ring get mashed up, causing a lot of slop thru the box. Just check the centre splines, and the splines on each gear are looking OK.

One thing worth shimming is the front drive unit. If the clearances open up, the spigot on the gear can end up snapping off. well worth a shim under the gear and a clearance check.

If you need any parts let me know, Ive a few cases and front drive housings spare, but mainly only 413 internals spare(built 3 or 4, 4.16 low ratio boxes now.)
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 16:37:43 »
What you say about the manual stacks up with the EPS. The dealer faxed me copies and only one sheet showed any shims!!

I've got the old 413 box stripped too and it shows signs of being reconditioned at some point. So I'm going to use the bearings from that one with the 410 gears.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 16:33:55 »
Spent 3 hours last night building one box out of two ..... quite enjoyed myself. I know, I must get out more  :roll:

And hour or so tonight and it'll be back in and I can see if the noise has gone...... if it hasn't........ stuff it! It can just be noisy  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 16:42:49 »
If you're still getting a noise it might be the rear diff  :(

I hope all is quite though  :)

ps.  I've just remembered that I've got a stripped out 410 transfer box.  The bearings are stuffed but there might be some bits you can use.  It's got your name on it if you want it  :) you know where I am if you do  :)

pps You can have it for the same price as the bonnet  :P  :D
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 17:53:00 »
Thanks for the offer Damon. The box is back in the car now. Haven't tried it yet 'cos I got sidetracked last night making an air filter box to connect the snorkel through  :roll: Oh, and then I had a brainwave relating to axle breathers...... and then it got dark so I went home  :lol:

You haven't seen the bonnet yet, have you? I'm quite proud of the little 'power' bulge to clear the SU carb. And it looks quite cool in matt black  :D
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Noisy transfer box
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 17:58:06 »
I look forward to seeing the bonnet - it does sound good :)
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal