AuthorTopic: Blown Diff!  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Skippy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Blown Diff!
« on: August 22, 2004, 17:19:17 »
has anybody had to rebuild a disco rear axle before? Is it worth attempting myself? My rear diff desided to explode and try and make a break for freedom though the diff pan!!!!  

Next time i go off roading ill make sure i leave my lead boots at home
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 17:46:15 »
A good few of us have done it...  is there anything in particular you'd like to know ?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 18:14:49 »
Well, i had to remove the prop & half shafts so at least thats allready done.  will it now be possible to just unbolt all the diff bolts and pull the old one out, and then weld a new pan on? or will i have to remove the whole axle?
1990 Landrover Discovery
Mods: 2" Lift, most of arches chopped out and replaced with Devon 4x4 arch extensions to accomodate 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws, hybrid Evans UK/Rimmer Brothers exhaust, 3.9 efi V8 (Soon to be 4.6 if i can get round to fitting it!!)fitted, Landy LPG system, bull Bar etc, etc........ Now also sporting a Safari snorkle, Discoparts Rock sliders with tree protection, Discoparts Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ARB dulux Bull Bar, Evans UK full external & part internal roll cage & chequer plate........Also RPI Tornado chip.

1999 Series 2 V8 GS Disco........ The sensible One coz i aint allowed to modify it AT ALL! Couldnt resist........ it's now running a sweet TD5 Alive exhaust system which sounds great you can hear my car on the exhaust section of the TD5 Alive Web site!

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 18:15:00 »
Been there, done that Skippy.

The worry is when you start to enjoy doing the repairs.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 18:21:51 »
Youre right there, it was a relly good laugh getting under there and removing the prop & half shafts so i could get home!  There were also plenty of helpful people who were quite willing to lend me their tools.

Two valuable lessons learned:

1: Leave the lead foot at home when offroading.
2: Remember that i drive a Landrover and always carry tools :oops:

Chris
1990 Landrover Discovery

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 19:07:18 »
Quote from: "Skippy"
will it now be possible to just unbolt all the diff bolts and pull the old one out, and then weld a new pan on? or will i have to remove the whole axle?

You don't have to remove the whole axle if you can weld upside down.  The biggest issue is making sure you don't get any pinholes in the new pan.

Removing the diff is straightforward enough, just unbolt it and give it a tug and a wiggle.... watch out...  It's HEAVY
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 19:26:32 »
Thanks Tim, i'll have a go at that next weekend!
1990 Landrover Discovery

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 21:39:06 »
To remove the rear axle clamp the break pipe, undo the braek pipe,
undo the A frame bolt, (you may find it easier to remove the two horizontal ones and leave the ball joint on the axle), remove the bolts on the trailing arms, then jack up the body and wheel the axle out.
Refitting is the reversal of the removal procedure.
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline Skippy

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 22:06:41 »
Cheers Sooty.
1990 Landrover Discovery

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Blown Diff!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 22:27:31 »
Refitting is the reversal of the removal procedure.

Isn't that Haynes speak for "We've taken it apart but we've not worked out how to put it back again"

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal