AuthorTopic: Vitara vs SJ  (Read 2465 times)

Offline 791979

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Vitara vs SJ
« on: July 18, 2006, 14:37:02 »
Hi,

I am hoping to get a Zuki in the near future.  I have a pretty tight budget for purchase & running costs.

I was originally thinking of getting a SJ (and still am biased towards them), but I wonder if a Vitara would make a better all-round vehicle for me.  Here in Spain SJ's are a little more expensive that back in Blighty, and a Vitara with aircon isn't a whole lot more.

I'm getting the impression that the SJ is the simplest, and I like that.  But I wonder how does a Vitara compare in terms of off-road ability, road use, comfort, ease of maintainence and running costs?

Thanks
Neil
Neil

marjan

Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 19:57:52 »
Hi Neil,

I"ve had both and whilst the SJ is a little more capable off road it is dam uncomfortable and a bit gutless when it comes to overtaking on the road.

As you can see from my picture I now run a P Reg Vitara which has really suprised me with it's off road ability. I recently smashed a front CV joint whilst playing in a quarry and due to the freewheeling front hubs I tied the drive shaft up and carried on for the rest of the day in 2WD and it coped just fine.

It has loads of power (1600-16V) and is really comfortable due to having coils instead of leaf springs like the SJ. Economy is not any different between the two as the SJ needs a lot of revs to keep it going.

Vitara's are quite a bit more expensive over here so people on a budget tend to stick to the SJ's.

Main reason I changed is that my back could not stand any more punishment from the SJ  :lol:

You will have some great fun no matter which one you choose.

Regards,

Mark.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 20:15:01 »
Look in my gallery and see what my vit gets put through. Its a whole lot nicer to drive than an SJ
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Hovis

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 15:52:45 »
Two of the best things about the SJ it will always make you grin and if you smash it up you take off the bits you want and buy another one!

It depends what you want. Is it going to be a weekend toy or your daily driver too?

If i was in Spain i don't think i could live without air-con.
My Mum lied..............it hasn't dropped off.

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 18:57:20 »
Hi there, yes I have to agree with most that has been said before. The SJ fine car that it is you would not want to be looking at a 100 mile drive too often. They bounce, they are pretty gutless but they are the best for off roading. The Vitara costs about the same on fuel and they are a whole lot more comfortable. I had the misfortune to be towing a SJ based off roader with it at one time on a trailer. It did it ok but it was hard work but then it was towing it's own weight plus a bit more.
Down side of the Vitara is the front diff housing is a aluminium jobby and if you give to much to do off road then it will explode. I didn't manage to hurt mine but I know they can be a bit fragile but this is in extreme cases and normal off roading shouldn't be a problem.

Go for the Vit
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline 791979

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 13:02:14 »
Thanks for all the info.  A Vit it is then :)
Neil

Offline Mart

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 13:59:56 »
where abouts in the country are ya? maybe if you were near enough to a couple of muddy members with each vehicle sure they'd be kind enough to take you for a spin in both that way you get the exprience of each before you spend your hard earned.

I'd take ya out on the sj if your near me its a bit bumpy on the beaten track but its a bloody good laugh
Take nothing but photos, Leave nothing but footprints!!!      SUPERSUZUKI owner

Offline 791979

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 15:12:14 »
Actually I am in Alicante, Spain.  

I have a friend with a Vitara, but his is all hairdresser'd up :(  From what I have read, I think that the SJ would be more to my taste, as I like to sound of the simplicity and fun.

But the Vitara will give me sufficient fun, and it would be better all round for us here, especially a tintop with aircon.
Neil

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 20:37:47 »
The Rossini version is rather tastefull :oops: in a nice shade of blushing pink with white uphlostery fat boy wheels and side steps. In fact everything you might want. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT OFF ROAD
Fortunately mine was a van version so no chance of it being called a hairdressers car. Or if I wanted to be in touch with my femine side then maybe I would have gone for a Rossini  :wink:

Best of luck
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

Offline Baby_Rhino

Attack Member
Vitara vs SJ
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 18:07:27 »
Quote from: "Paul.K/LuckyTrucker"
The Rossini version is rather tastefull :oops: in a nice shade of blushing pink with white uphlostery fat boy wheels and side steps. In fact everything you might want. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT OFF ROAD
Fortunately mine was a van version so no chance of it being called a hairdressers car. Or if I wanted to be in touch with my femine side then maybe I would have gone for a Rossini  :wink:

Best of luck

oi, dont diss! i want a rossini some day  :wink:
4x4x4play! ;) They call me Emms...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal