AuthorTopic: Going from a TD5 to a 300TDI?  (Read 5609 times)

Offline nosnibod

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
TD5 Oil in the loom - or not!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 21:24:48 »
Well I thought it time to give an update on the injector harness problem I was having.

After messing about with the harness plug (it had the tiniest amount of oil in it) it didn't seem to matter what I did with it. In the end two tins of electrical contact cleaner were wasted trying to clean out the plug. Two trips to the dealer (where it behaved itself impeccably both times) did show a logged fault on injector number 1 but that's alll.

Guess what - it's not the plug  :oops:

I found out purely by accident that if I put a finger on the plug the misfire started. After taking the rocker cover off I noticed that just by pressing a finger against the plug moved the loom and the connector on the injector nearest to the plug - yes injector number 1  :roll:

So I pulled the electrical connector off the injector and it seemed a bit loose... Too loose...

So, the loom is at fault, but it's dead easy to solve - just tweak the injector spade connectors with a pair of needle-nose pliers to tighten them up a bit.

I put it all back together and no amount of abuse will get it to misfire :D

I've done nearly 4,000 miles since then and it's still okay. I took the acoustic cover off at the weekend (to check that the rocker cover was still oil-tight) and did the "wiggle-plug" test - didn't cause any problems.

So, problem identified and solved. I like problems that I can find the answer to, so I'm a very happy bunny :D
Dave

Offline landraver

Attack Member
    • Swansea
Going from a TD5 to a 300TDI?
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 21:34:03 »
Well done Dave, nice one!!

Although the offer's still there if you want a swap :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jeff

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 21:49:38 »
:) Just a quick one i converted to 300tdi with uprated intercooler vortex exhaust and overdrive oh and had the pump tweaked she pulls lovely you can do 30mph in fifth and floor it she just winds the turbo up and pulls!!! no fuss no vibrations no moaning she just goes!! do that in a standard td5 and it chuck's it's dummy out oh and the manual tdv6 disco's just the same you have to rev common rail diesels to get them to pull (i.e no low down torque) i admit top end a td5 will beat me but low down i don't think you can beat a sorted 300 tdi.
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 21:57:59 »
Glad you got it sorted, see, simple really :D

As for 30mph in 5th gear - i bet my untuned TD5 will manage just fine, and know it would be even better if tuned.
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline nosnibod

Attack Member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 22:06:58 »
Quote from: "dreadnought110"
:) Just a quick one i converted to 300tdi with uprated intercooler vortex exhaust and overdrive oh and had the pump tweaked she pulls lovely you can do 30mph in fifth and floor it she just winds the turbo up and pulls!!! no fuss no vibrations no moaning she just goes!! do that in a standard td5 and it chuck's it's dummy out oh and the manual tdv6 disco's just the same you have to rev common rail diesels to get them to pull (i.e no low down torque) i admit top end a td5 will beat me but low down i don't think you can beat a sorted 300 tdi.

Get the TD5 similarly sorted out and it will do the same - mine does 30mph in fifth even with the 1.2:1 disco gearing and you can just ride the wave of torque to accelerate [1]

I regularly sit at 30 mph up through a local village that has about a 1:15 hill and speed bumps (locals must absolutely love that!) in fifth and then when it returns to the national speed limit I just tickle the loud pedal :twisted:

Lately though I've been emulating BTM and seeing what mpg I can get by being a bit more, um, sensitive with the right hoof. I'm regularly seeing about 32mpg now without thinking too hard about it.  :D

[1] I think this is where a properly remapped ECU rather than a plug-in box really makes a difference - better throughout the entire rev range.
Dave

Offline nosnibod

Attack Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 22:22:41 »
Quote from: "smo"
Glad you got it sorted, see, simple really :D

Thank you  :D

I got in touch with TJC and talked through a few things about what was possible with a refurbished 300TDI 110, but didn't take it any further.

We went on holiday for a couple of weeks and I decided to give the TD5 a thorough going over on our return to try and sort the problem out once and for all myself, instead of trying to rely on the "abilities" of my local franchised dealer who shall remain nameless. I knew I should have got worried when their delivery driver (on returning the 110 after six days of replacing the clutch master cylinder!) said "I've not driven a 110 before, and I've worked there for nearly twenty years"...

Anyway it looks like I've managed to sort it out myself - my confidence in the 110 has returned and I've stopped being hyper-sensitive to the noises from under the bonnet.

A problem isn't a problem if you know what the solution is  :wink:

Anyway my thoughts have turned to other matters - a roof rack for it. I've been looking for a Safety Devices one as fitted to the G4 110s and it looks like they're as rare as rocking horse manure  :(
Dave

Offline nosnibod

Attack Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 22:29:59 »
Quote from: "landylover"
Although the offer's still there if you want a swap

:D

Tempting, but I don't think a soft-top 90 is quite the thing carrying some of our more precious cargo :roll:

For those of you into cycling, we've got a very nice custom-built George Longstaff tandem that fits perfectly into the back of the 110 with just the front wheel removed. Snug as a bug...
Dave

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 13:10:55 »
Glad you got everything working well. If you are interested, have a look here for a PC based TD5 diagnostics for 220 pounds inc VAT..

Features of this kit:

*  Live Data Monitoring

*  Fault CodeReading/Clear

*  Security Matching

*  Testing the Current Immobiliser Code

*  Injector re-coding

http://www.kitcarelectronics.co.uk/

Also for the safety Devices rack, keep an eye on ebay. they come up every few months, mostly from LR dealers selling them to free up space. Also Equifax get a lot of the kit that is stripped off the G4 LR's before they are sold on and so maybe worth a call and leaving your name with them. A number of support G4 110's will be coming in next 6-9 months.

Cheers

Steve

Offline nosnibod

Attack Member
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2006, 22:46:45 »
Once the warranty is over (for what it's worth given the dubious qualities of most franchised dealers I've had to endure) then I'll be looking at a home diagnostic kit.

Also, I think it's Equicar (not Equifax) in Wolverhampton that so the 4x4 breaking. Didn't realise you could get on a waiting list for bits though - thanks for that.

As for ebay - several emailed searches have been set up for quite a while - nothing yet  :(
Dave

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 22:24:13 »
Hey SMO all I can say is give it time. Its no way old enough yet. As with all engines we get silly probs. See what the future brings.  :lol:
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 08:09:57 »
Quote from: "Miniman"
Hey SMO all I can say is give it time. Its no way old enough yet. As with all engines we get silly probs. See what the future brings.  :lol:

This is true, although my 110 TD5 did 150K before i sold it which is pretty good without fault, easily comparable and probably better than most TDi's of that mileage :)

(Its still going strong too!)
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2006, 18:06:17 »
Fair comment. Its like all motors tho you get good ones and bad ones....
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline ea51 mud

Attack Member
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2006, 11:41:34 »
i have a fully re mapped ecu, with alisport intercooler etc, 185 x 75 m/t's very reliable with lot's of power- would not fault the td5.

i guess i see fewer td5 off roading, therefore when you hear of a problem it all get's hyped up?

Offline M0EAF

Attack Member
300tdi
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2007, 22:16:50 »
go on dave, go for the 300tdi you know you want to, anyway the saying is , one life live it, i do with my 200tdi, wouldent change it for anything its now part of me.
LIFE IS A BITCH THEN YOU MARRY ONE !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal