AuthorTopic: Questions/Buying advice please - N-reg Disco 300 Tdi  (Read 414 times)

Offline nat_hale

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Questions/Buying advice please - N-reg Disco 300 Tdi
« on: June 24, 2006, 19:22:43 »
Hi all,

Looking at getting a Disco, 300Tdi manual (1996 N-reg), 134,000 miles.  Had a quick look today, probably go for a ride in it tomorrow, and would like to ask you "pro's" about a couple of points!!

Looked to be a bit of oil around the front diff - I know LR's have oil leaks, but is this a problem or likely to be expensive?! Also quite oily round bottom of engine and on the top of the diff- is this likely to be a leak or just from an oil change, etc?  How much should I accept, and how much is a problem?!!

All electric windows work ok, and central locking sort of works (on key fob), but when the buttons go down, the rear drivers side door can still be opened (and also when central locking is locked by key) - is this  likely to be a big or expensive problem, or just an earthing problem?? I know Disco's have electrical faults, but what are the expected costs of getting them sorted?!!

Looks like it may have had slight welding on the rear doors frames (both rear doors), small patch under the latch where it becomes wheel arch - but both sides look the same, so is this welding or just how they were built?!!

Also, inner front arches are starting to rust where they meet the bulkhead - is this costly to sort out, or an easy job for a welder?

Other things were the transfer box was stiff, quite hard to get between hi and lo box, but worked once I'd played with it - is this a problem, or normal (don't think its been used before!!).  Only other niggle was the headlining vibrated when the doors were shut (no sunroofs, so quite 'flappy').

Other than that, the car looks fine. Service history, 12 months MOT, good tyres, etc.  Asking £2500 or offers (used car dealer)... seem reasonable?

Anything else to watch for?
Any and all help and advice greatly received... and if I get one I'll be back to ask for modifying advice!!

Cheers,
Nat
1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 Tdi S (Cooper ST tyres, 1" lift, heavy duty front & rear bumper, Scorpion Racing detachable towbar, Rebel steering and diff guards, big dent in N/S/R wing!!)
Thames Valley 4x4 Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal