AuthorTopic: SJ413 not idling  (Read 951 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
SJ413 not idling
« on: June 17, 2006, 15:20:37 »
All was well when I drove the 500 yards from the workshop to work after doing the suspension. But when I went to drive home, it won't idle. If you are not quick enough changing gears it will even stall when you dip the clutch. I got it running at about 800rpm nice and smooth by fiddling with the idle screw. But while standing there it suddenly stopped! I hadn't even touched it  :shock:

Is this just another case of dodgy carb?

I am now looking at the SU conversion since I have ready access to parts for these carbs. And they are so simple. I like simple things but don't tell my wife that  :lol:
There is a fantastic fabrication shop around the corner from us and he has estimated £80-£100 to make a manifold. They normally work on exotic things like pre-war Grand Prix Maserati's, etc. Since the manifolds available seem to be closer to £150 I am likely to persue it.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline generation-x

Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
SJ413 not idling
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 15:26:22 »
hi steve
sounds like the carb is a gone'a m8y
as you say get an su
rhinocentral does su adapters now for about 50 notez i think might be cheaper and easier than playin with the manifold

simon

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 not idling
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 15:53:49 »
Just spoken to Tim and sent him some money for one of his kits  :D Thanks for the advice.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline jaws

Attack Member
SJ413 not idling
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 16:55:56 »
hey seems a little bit late now,butki had this trouble with my old 410 after i had changed the starter.if my memory serves me right i had unplugged a connection on a little wire to gain a bit of access,and forgotten to plug it back in.i couldn't get it to run without screwin the nuts off it.once i plugged it back in it was sweet again!
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
SJ413 not idling
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 18:21:57 »
I did look all round the carb, so I'd hope that I would spot a disconnected wire. But I'll have another look tonight. Thanks for the tip.

I will still head down the SU route though. It is just such a simple carb and I know it well. Should be picking one up tomorrow, so as soon as I've got the manifold elbow through, I can get on with it. Must remember to order a choke cable in too! Where is the neatest place to mount the choke on the dash? I can't see an obvious place.

Just spotted that we have an old 2" stainless steel exhaust link pipe for a Mini on the shelf...... could make the basis of a very nice snorkel  :D
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Paul.K/LuckyTrucker

Attack Member
SJ413 not idling
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 00:31:37 »
Hi there, I can't recomend the SU carb highly enough. Not only does it run a whole lot better you can climb up really steep hills off road without it dying on you. I have one fitted to my bob-tailed LWB Samurai that has a X flow Ford 1600cc engine. It is such an improvement I can't put it all down to the increase in engine size must be the carb working as it should. Best of luck
www.tv4x4.co.uk
Cheers LuckyTrucker

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal