AuthorTopic: 200tdi Rebuild  (Read 2294 times)

Offline MTyrrell

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi Rebuild
« on: June 12, 2006, 22:34:21 »
The 110 has acquired a taste for oil rather than diesel.  I changed the head gasket hoping it was the cause. When the the old gasket was removed it was showing signs of leaking, so i was pretty sure that this was cause of the oil consumption and didn't look any further.

This didn't solve the problem :-(. After stripping the engine down again it it looks like the rings have gone, there's a lot of carbon build up below the rings on all pistons. Also the big end shells are warn down to the bronze colour metal.

I'm probably wrong, but i always thought the 200tdi is good for several hundred thousand miles with out any major maintenance. So is this sort of ware a sign that the engine has been poorly maintained, thrashed or generally had a hard life?

Also whilst i have it in bits is there anything else worth checking or replacing? Currently i'm only replacing the rings and big end shells.

Thanks
Matt
Regards
Matthew

www.cbpsystems.co.uk/(updated: quite often)
"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"
<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 22:43:01 »
rings,all the shells,oil pump is what id do personally,
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 23:56:50 »
Quote from: "RedlineMike"
rings,all the shells,oil pump is what id do personally,

Thanks, what's the score with the oil pump can it be rebuilt or is it better to replace the whole unit, I'm not entirely sure how it works.
Regards
Matthew

<p>
In the dark it is better to be lead by a blind man! So in this age of insanity is it better to be lead by a mad man?

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 00:08:54 »
of the top of my head a new pump is £40 & id personally wouldnt bother trying to rebuild it,just fire a new pump in,

ive been down the road of a recon engine fitted with the original oil pump,queue a <EDITED> engine cos the oil pump had masses of wear
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline unknownmanxman

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 18:03:37 »
While you've got the engine in bits you might as well stick a new oil pump in, they're cheap and its easier to put it in now rather than lying under ur landy with oil dripping on you replacing it in a few months!

Regular oil changes seem to get on well with TDi's
Jon - The Unknownmanxman

I have taken a vow of poverty - to annoy me, send money

2005 - Defender 90 TD5
1991 - Defender 90 200Tdi - See the spec http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=36
PTO H14W SE - one of a kind im told
2 Door, 90" RR - 43% Magic

Series 1 V8 trialler

Isle of Man GLASS Area Rep

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 22:58:31 »
Thanks for the comments guys,

I'll replace the pump then for the cost of a new one it's not worth fiddling about trying to rebuild it, unknownmanxman has a good point the thought of laying underneath the landy striping it all down again to replace the pump doesn't appeal to me.

I took the head to a local engine rebuilders for a light skim as some of the head bolts seamed a bit lose when i tool it off. After measuring it up turns out that it was slightly warped :(.
Regards
Matthew

<p>

Offline MTyrrell

Attack Member
200tdi Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 23:12:00 »
Just about finished putting everything back together just ran in to one little problem,, the land rover workshop manual specifies Hylogrip 2000 as a sealant between the block and ladder frame.
 I asked the local motor factor for some to which the response was "Isn't that for sticking false teeth in" :roll:.

Can i get away using RTV here or dose it have to be Hylogrip?
Regards
Matthew

<p>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal