AuthorTopic: Idle problems  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Mart

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Idle problems
« on: June 08, 2006, 18:25:40 »
Not me being lazy but my sammy has developed an idling problem, since i bought it its been fine but lately its struggling and sometimes cuts out any ideas why?

there's a smell of fuel and wondered if there was a leak and it was being starved until revs were applied and fuel amount increased but i've searched everywhere and can't find a leak, it also pops back on the over-run in 2nd 3rd and 4th so i was wondering if it sound like an overfuelling problem? i only get about 60 miles to £10 of fuel so its either very thirsty or theres something not quite right

as far as i'm aware its a standard carb.

so can anyone shed any light to what the problem might be is it just in need of a general tune up?

cheers martin
Take nothing but photos, Leave nothing but footprints!!!      SUPERSUZUKI owner

Offline Hovis

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 08:47:57 »
They aren't great on fuel considering the engine size, I think 25-30mpg is around normal.

I had trouble with my carb and no matter what Martin did it would not work. It was back firing and the jeep wouldn't tick over. Also when you held the revs up to keep it running they would fluctuate from say 2000rpm to 500rpm. So rather than strip the whole thing we just changed it, far less complicated!
My Mum lied..............it hasn't dropped off.

Offline wing nut

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:52:27 »
have you changed your fuel filter as this was the problem on mine until i changed it.. :lol: i also removed the fuel solenoid thingy and blew it out with the air line .. worked a treat after :lol:
Matt

suzuki dr 650 import(now with new gearbox)

43 with the mental age of tarmac and a harpsichord

Offline nickosam

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:06:55 »
hi mate ive had exactly the same problem with mine it must be a 1300 then is it as these carbs were renowned for these type of problems the 1000 are alot better carb without any probs anyway i bought a second hand webber off ebay for mine £25 no more problems and a bit more power the only thing is that more power less miles per gallon but you carnt have everything i think the milage you are getting at the moment sounds about rite for the 1300 suzuki you could always get a second hand carb off another suzuki but you will only get the same old problems in time id go for a weber personaly i hope this helps regards nick :)
ONE LIFE LIVE IT

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:49:06 »
Buy a new carb(nikki,webber,Hyundai pony)
If you want to try to fix, check fuel heights in carb, and check cold start device. Its on the rear side of the carb and operates a plunger that operates the choke flap on a little quadrant gear. This can stick, and the gear can jump also. generally free it off, and with the inlet pipe off, check its operating correctly.

The original carb is basically hugely complicated and crap.

Bin it :D
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Hovis

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:21:37 »
Quote from: "rollazuki"

The original carb is basically hugely complicated and crap.

Bin it :D

It's what Martin keeps muttering when he has to fiddle with it. The 410 was so much more simple.
My Mum lied..............it hasn't dropped off.

Offline Mart

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 14:05:39 »
cheers for the replys looks like i'll be buying a nikki from fleabay then unless someone has a spare?

Offline Damon

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 14:14:43 »
As above (throw away the standard carb) but before you do, check and adjust the mixture screw.

Wind it all the way in then 1.5 turns out.  I used to have to do this on a 2 monthly basis before I fitted a Webber.
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline Popeye

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 15:18:39 »
I have a spare Nikki PM me if you want or MSN messenger I'm on most days in the evening  :)
Gary

Offline Mart

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 21:46:22 »
think i've solved the problem after much looking and fiddling i think it was only the idle screw that had vibrated itself out a bit somehow and if it wasn't that i've adjusted it to tickover anyway lol.

still cant source the fuel smell though, checked all the fuel pipes and none of the jubilee clips were tight, but it smells when the tanks full ish or when you go over bumps, i removed the filler pipe cover in the boot and noticed the breather pipe wasnt jubilee clipped up so thats a job for tomorrow.

anyone else shed any light on the fuel smell problem?

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 21:49:24 »
Quote from: "Mart"
think i've solved the problem after much looking and fiddling i think it was only the idle screw that had vibrated itself out a bit somehow and if it wasn't that i've adjusted it to tickover anyway lol.

still cant source the fuel smell though, checked all the fuel pipes and none of the jubilee clips were tight, but it smells when the tanks full ish or when you go over bumps, i removed the filler pipe cover in the boot and noticed the breather pipe wasnt jubilee clipped up so thats a job for tomorrow.

anyone else shed any light on the fuel smell problem?

Get that on the vit, after a few days realised it was comming from the Snorkel, not bothered with it since.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Mart

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 22:01:13 »
its ok til it gives you a headache

Offline Garth

Attack Member
Idle problems
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 23:30:04 »
I have same problem with swymbos vitara but its a 1600 injection any help ideas??
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal