AuthorTopic: Rear Winch  (Read 6036 times)

Kev90

Rear Winch
« on: July 13, 2004, 13:08:34 »
Hello,

In a moment boredom the other day at work, I scanned ebay and ended up purchasing a Mile Marker H10 hydraulic winch.

As I already a H12 Mile Marker on the front, the only sensible place to put the H10 is on the back!

Has anyone completed a rear winch installation, or know of any sites with pictures of rear winches so that I can get some ideas. I don't want to lose too much departure angle, but am not so keen on the access panel in back option as it restricts load carrying capacity and the door need to be opened to switch between free-spool, and speeds.

Any ideas?

Kev

Offline davidlandy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Winch
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 13:30:39 »
most of the ones I have seen are below the rear floor - with a little handy hatch to open to get to the freespool lever etc....

plenty of pics about, but i shall try and find one for you.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline HiFonics

Attack Member
Rear Winch
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 20:20:33 »
Kev,

Quite a few people seem to use southdown rear tank guards and modify them to take the winch then cut a letter box in the rear crossmember, and as you said the hatch in the tub. another option would be to have a receiver on the back which takes the H10 in a demountable tray. You could then just use removable hydralic connectors. If you wanted to you could then have a reciever on the front as well and have the option of using both winches on the front. One of the Challenge South West guys has an 8274 front and back and a mid mounted H12 which he can use on both the front and back and in the middle to winch up/over. He is running 2 dedicated pumps and also has an electric pump off a lorry tail lift. Its a very nice setup. He has the Milemarker mounted in a framework that just clips over the front bumper or rear crossmember and then just bolts into place to hold it. Moving the winch around is like a 5 minute job.

Got any pictures of your motor now its all tarted up?

Cheers,

Ben
99 Defender 90 TD5
04 Defender 110 TD5

Offline white90

Attack Member
Rear Winch
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 20:35:01 »
Kev I have pics of my rear winch on my website
not MM but the install is pretty similar

Kev90

Rear Winch
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 14:06:17 »
Cheers for the advice, picked up the winch today, so will offer it up this weekend and see what my options are.

Tony, your installation does look very tidy!

As for pics, the truck is still not fully tarted up, as I am still waiting for the bloody roll cage ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! It has been promised by mid-next week (but as all other promises have been broken, I am not holding my breath). As soon as it is done, I will take some pics and of the eventual rear winch installation.

Cheers

Kev

thaiboxer

Rear Winch
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 15:12:48 »
Kev

i have a xd9000i in the rear of my def 90. Done using a southdown guard. Simon at Devon 4x4 did it. Very neat.

Where are you based. If N/W you can gladly have a look at mine if it helps

Pete

Kev90

Success!
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 16:33:06 »
Thanks for all the advice - threw all of the ideas into the melting pot over the weekend and what came out was a cross between the Reads90 set up and the White90 underneath set up.

Basically was not able to do the underneath install as my secure storage draw prohits access from above. Also constrained from above by the spare wheel on swingaway carrier.

Ended up with a system that bolts into a cut out half way through the rear xmember (which is box section on my LR), and to the chassis jate ring holes. Looks pretty awesome and should be very strong.

I have lost a small amount of departure angle, but there had to be a compromise somewhere. I will attach some photos later this week.

Kev

Offline Skywalker

Attack Member
Rear winch again
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 21:28:45 »
I know this is an old post but I just thought I'd resurect it.

It's early days, haven't got a front winch yet.  Still undecided between Milemarker H12, 8274-50 or 9.5ti (There's an old can of worms re-opened, but I'll save that for another day).

Back to rear winch.  Ever since my Series 3 days (10 -12 years back or so), I always thought a rear winch would be a good idea as it would seem easier to go back out of the mess you are in, rather than deeper into it, particularly if you are by yourself. (I would have said extricate so as to sound posh, but I'm not too sure how to spell it)

This part of the project is likely to be a while off yet as "free time" don't seem to exist but I at least thought I could start to plan it out.  The new Superwinch ep9 at about £399 seems a good candidate as a winch and there are several others appearing even cheaper, but .. the obvious problem for " a technically challenged" old bloke is how to effectively glue it on, (sorry .. "attach it").  I would really like to keep the towbar, cos I do have to tow things now and again.  I've looked at the mount David Bowyer has on his website but this don't appeal at all cos rear ange of dangle (or to be politically correct - departure angle) goes totally up the spout.  Perhaps someone out there has some idea's.  They would be welcome.  (Its a TD5, 110 Crew Cab by the way)

Cheers

Dave
WIP ........ just Keeps Changing .......

SW

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal