AuthorTopic: DOC thoughts  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Lee_D

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
DOC thoughts
« on: May 03, 2006, 12:00:28 »
I've been considering joining the DOC for a while and would be interested in the thoughts of chaps and lasses here who may be members.

I'm a member of the 101 FC club and register and the benifits of such are obvious for rare spares etc etc.

I know you only get out what you put in kind of thing but there are sooo many clubs on the scene these days just thought it worth probing before handing over any hard earned.

Lee D
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

PUX

DOC thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 12:09:04 »
watching this thread  8)

NeilWilson

DOC thoughts
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 13:01:22 »
I am in DOC and I believe there are a few others on mud club as well.  Like most clubs it has the usual cross section of humanity making up the membership, with the resultant occasional bickering & toy throwing sessions.  Quite a few discounts are available to DOC members.  The club mag is very good and seems to have improved quite a bit recently.  Lots of good advice available (same as here).  There is a National DOC Event this year.  My personal opinion was that I thought it worth renewing my membership this year.  Cheers.

Neil

Offline Horness

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 14:07:36 »
I was a member of the Discovery Owners Club, and if you use the discounts right, membership can work out free as savings can be made on things like insurance, parts and other bits-and-bobs.

Very good spread of people always willing to help with Disovery related queries, lots of meet ups and events, and a good club mag.

Only reason I did not renew was due to work taking up more-and-more of my time, and I never had the chance to attend meetings and go out on outings.
Things are settling down now, so maybe next year I will re-join (if not sooner).

Horness

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
DOC thoughts
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 14:07:36 »
I have to agree with Neil, in the 3 years that I've been with DOC there have been <issues>, most have been resolved, I'm happy with the way things are and I've just renewed my membership again.

Like Mud-Club there is a wealth of information to be had by members and the discounts could easily save the membership costs, I'd recommend being a member.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 14:47:06 »
I'd personally stick with mud-club as you get the same benefits, the technical information and questions asked are repeated on both forums, discounts are in comparision, plus there's a lot more events announced on this forum that are attended by members of the other club.

Was a member from day one but have left due to issues that I won't go into on this forum. You can PM me your email address and I'll answer your question in full.
Lee from Brum

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
DOC thoughts
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 15:02:49 »
I, like a whole bunch of people on this forum have been a DOC member for a good few years now, I have met some "interesting" people and I have met some real assholes through the DOC but i have also made some really good friends.
As has been pointed out the club has had a few problems but i think you get that with any club and it comes down to the club members to make a club successful or otherwise.

The savings on discounts alone is well worth the membership fee IMHO.

regards
wizard :twisted:

Offline jolie

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 15:08:01 »
Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear you have left the DOC, will have to keep an eye out for you on here instead now :lol:

I personally haven't any problems with the DOC only good advice and friendly chats, have met some really nice people and had a good few days out withe them, I shall be renewing my membership this summer. :D
Jolie

1993 discovery 200tdi

snorkel, diff and steering guards, chequer plate

www.dartonfabrications.co.uk

Offline Colin 009

Attack Member
    • High Wycombe
DOC thoughts
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 15:39:33 »
Was a member didnt renew due to the pickering and spending to much on joining DOC, GLASS, etc,  then theres the subs to the LR mags, it all added up to to much so somethings had to go.

Have met some great people through the DOC,  :D

The one thing that I would say is when attending events, not always made to feel welcome and have had others say the same to me.

Hope to be a bit better off soon so may well give it another go.
Cheers.
Colin,
Shiny Blue Crew 009
                   "Everbody Has to be Somewhere"

Offline Muddy Moo

Attack Member
D.O.C
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 16:34:44 »
:D Iam not a member but soon will be my husband is and ive become very involved so Im gonna get my own membership  I personally think the DOC club is a great club only ever met one ******** everyone else have been a great friendly bunch of people everyone seems to go out of thier way to help as much as they can and its not just normal members commity are fab you cant be involved in to many the more the merrier get to meet like minded  people who enjoy a great hobby.
landrover nut.........and proud of it!!!!
I don't expect you to agree with what I say
Just respect the fact that I too have an opinion

Offline DiscoDan

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 17:51:23 »
Hi.

I've been a DOC member for a couple of years. The info on the forum and in the mag is excellent, you do get some overlap with other forums but because the DOC is a single marque club I think you are more likely to get a definate answer from someone who has previously experienced your problem.

I'm looking forward to attending some events, as has been said you get out what you put in. As with any group in any walk of life you get some whose attitudes & forum ettiquette isn't very nice. I've read some of the threads and the way some individuals spoke would disgrace their upbringing. Having said that I've seen the same on other boards, at least with the DOC it is a paid-for membership and you have an elected committee to sort out grievances.

Join for a year & see what you think. make up your own mind without being influenced by the negativity of someone else. The fee of £20 you will save in discounts, so you have nothing to lose.

Kind regards, Dan  8)
S.C.O.F.

Offline alancaulfield

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 18:56:37 »
I've been in ther DOC for over a year now. The problems mentioned seem to have gone away apart from a very boring AGM in March which was down (IMO) to a member here so be careful you are not listening to ex members with sharp axes to grind.

I have to say the best aspect for me is the DOC forum and I am sure this one has much to offfer as well. I just haven't quite got the same fuzzy feelings.
Cheers,

Alan

Salisbury Plain isn't just for the Army

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
DOC thoughts
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 19:18:33 »
May I respectfully request that we all forget about the past please. The DOC will not prosper on what happened previously.

Lee - give it a try - at worst you are the price of a few pints and pie worse off :-) Oh and you can even join online - I do like Paypal :-)

..and just in case you all forgot - I was the chairman when all the problems were rife .... maybe it was me :-)
--
Neil

Offline Grumpy

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
DOC thoughts
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 19:37:11 »
Let sleeping dogs lie

The DOC is now on the up turn we have the national this year and our recently formed local club night is going well

Worth joining for the insurance discounts
Roy Newland
L60 MUD Discovery "GRUMPY"
L600 MUD Discovery TD5
Bedford

Offline Lee_D

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 19:50:16 »
Cheers all...

Food for thought there, h'mmmmm

Lee
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

the loon

DOC thoughts
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 19:51:31 »
I say go for it.
I've been in DOC for a few months now and have also been involved in a couple of there events prior to joining.
They have struck me as a friendly bunch and all the stuff that I've been involved with has seemed well organised.
I've booked up for the DOC national and have volenteered to represent the club at a couple of shows.

I'm still active with MC and will continue to be so for as long as I can see. I'm involved as well with 2 other "pay membership" clubs but I know one of these wont get renewed at the end of the year as they basicly arnt intrested unless you want to take part in RTV's etc

Disco Geordie

doc
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 19:55:54 »
Quite simply as a Disco owner Doc is the club to be in. As mentioned by all above the membership pays for it'self.

Offline Damonski

Attack Member
  • Cheshire :)
DOC thoughts
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 20:03:30 »
I joined, but as 99% of DOC is also here, you get all the DOC knowledge plus more for free here on mud-club. So I wont be re-newing.

Threads asked in the forums are repeated on here, difflock and just about every other, same with the for sales and wanteds areas and its the same people answering the same questions :)

Insurances can be cheaper, but if you haggle you'll get the discount anyway, just the same with discounts on parts, haggle and you'll get the discount + more anyway.
--

Damian

Range Rover Classic 2.4TD  | Disco 300 Mpi | Citroen Xantia Activa
plus other rainy day projects....

Facebook Me

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 22:41:30 »
I was in DOC too, but haven't renewed for obvious reasons.

A question I posted still emphasised I was most welcome to remain
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 23:26:39 »
Quote from: "Bush Tucker Man"
I was in DOC too, but haven't renewed for obvious reasons.

I ought to clarify that before anyone assumes/thinks I had a problem (or caused a problem) :oops:

I sold my Discovery 50th Anniversary & bought the 110, hence no ultimate reason for membership
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline jono

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 10:38:50 »
As the DOC membership secretary I of course cannot give you an unbiased opinion, so I won't try.  :wink:

However, if you PM your address details (or email me at memsec@discoveryownersclub.org) I'd be happy to send you some info that may at least give you a taster of what we are all about.
Jono
"grep" - 1992 Discovery 200Tdi
Procomp 2" Lift, Steering Guard, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel, Axle Breathers, Bearmach Rock Sliders, 6 x Spots, CB, 235/70/16 Amazon T/A's

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
DOC thoughts
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 15:01:16 »
I joined the doc last year and id like to say i found the northants guys really friendly at the first meet i went too i met up with hightower who kindly offered to help me fit my rocksliders :)
 my only regret is that im not able to goto many meets because of my shift pattern
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
DOC thoughts
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 16:01:18 »
<sulk>

..and Me...and Frank...and Alan :-)

Tsk!
--
Neil

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
DOC thoughts
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 16:03:17 »
8)   lol ooo yes and thrasher, frank and alan :)   i didnt like to name drop  :wink:
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline bobtail4x4

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 20:23:20 »
I came at the Doc from a different angle, owning Rangies and being fet up with the RRR, the local Doc meeting is 5 miles from me, so I went along, I knew a few of the members already, I bought a Disco in february so joined Doc.

I have no axe to grind with the club, as someone once said "its only a bluddy motor club" some people try to derail things others sod off and start a new club?
hello mum

Offline dracula

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 20:27:55 »
Go on join ....you know you want to :wink:
I did, set up a section in Devon & Cornwall and have not looked back :D
regards,
Paul Shapter.

Offline Cal

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2006, 20:28:07 »
I joined at the end of last year - could have done with joining the club before I bought my Disco with some of the probs I've had!

Have found everyone very helpful and quick to respond with advice. My only regret is the nearest meet is quite far away.

I can see where Damo is coming from in terms of paying for advice that you can get elsewhere - that's where it comes down to your personal choice I guess and whether you want to be in the owners club (not meaning that to sound snooty) or have access to a wider interest of vehicles.

Personally, I'm happy to be a member and keep an eye on as many other forums as possible as well. You wil know me if we ever meet - my eyes look like this  :shock:  from being on the computer too much!

Offline GaryPatt

Attack Member
DOC
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 11:55:24 »
I joined the DOC last August after buying my 1st Disco (had Jeeps for some 12 years prior) and found the majority of members on the forum very helpful.
I now run a local section which is supported very well, i think one only gets out of a club a % of what one puts in.
My membership will continue, and i would advise anyone with the slightest interest and a Disco of course to email Jono for a chat or more info

memsec@discoveryownersclub.org

Gary
99 Ford Explorer

The force is strong with this one

PUX

DOC thoughts
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:40 »
so does the DOC have regional reps i.e is there one in wiltshire??

Offline Bill jones

Attack Member
DOC thoughts
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 19:34:04 »
Quote from: "PUX"
so does the DOC have regional reps i.e is there one in wiltshire??

Yes there is a LSR (local section rep) that covers Somerset & West Wiltshire, and they hold regular pub meets in Warminster on the first Monday in the month. Hope this is of some help to you, if you want any further details I'm sure Jono can help you.
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal