AuthorTopic: here,s hoping  (Read 1352 times)

Offline quoman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
here,s hoping
« on: April 06, 2006, 15:09:49 »
I have never owned a freelander before,so can you tell me,are they reliable,and what should i look out for.
 It is a 2001 TD4 full history with 52.000 mls on clock, hpi checked, milage etc.
 P.S. I dont offroad,but do pull a caravan,1400 kgs
2001 FREELANDER TD4
2006 Elldis Odysey 540
2005 Miniture Yorkie(1.8 kgs fully grown,aint she cute).....

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
here,s hoping
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 15:31:39 »
Hi

The TD4 is, in my view, the best choice. The V6 is thirsty and a pig to work on it seems. The K series petrol is basically a good unit, but has a far too high failure rate.

It'll slog along with the van no problem. Fudge will no doubt be along to advise more on this. He tows with his Freebie.

Our TD4 is the second Freelander we've owned. I like them. They are far better in slippery stuff than people give them credit for. Just a lack of ground clearance prevents them from being up there with the best of them off road.

If it's an auto, get a really long test drive and make sure the display shows the 'D' all the time and doesn't flicker. Signs of trouble ahead although cheap and easy to repair. The auto can also slip between gears if it has ever be low on oil.

The manual is pretty bullet proof.

Earlier cars can see the viscous coupling fail prematurely. Also, check for odd tyre wear at the back. One block up, next block down as you go round the tyre. Gives a knocking on corners like the CV's are failing. Simply replace the tyres to cure it. But check the fronts too. Our current one had the worn rears swapped to the front! Doesn't give the knocking, but you can feel slight wobble at low speed.

Oh, and check inside the cubby box in the boot. They can get damp and rust.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline quoman

Attack Member
here,s hoping
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:32:51 »
Cheers for that info,checked the things you mentioned,all seems fine
2001 FREELANDER TD4
2006 Elldis Odysey 540

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
here,s hoping
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 19:04:08 »
Here I am.......

I've been miles in the Td4 with a new Stearling Sprite Major in tow, I use a powerbox too which does wonders for the MPG and mid range torque

Back from Cornwall last summer I got 29mpg towing the van and it sits real nice at 64 mph (Roadangel 2), I have the 17" alloys which make the shed handle supprisingly well

Plus

I think I suprised a few bods at the Norfolk Off Road centre day we had with its abilities off road...... it was the tyres that let me down there not the cars ability...... the Michelins tread kept getting full of mud, was like running slicks most of the time, I must try and get some 15 / 16's and some decent tyres for Mayday!

Stealers are a nightmare, but whats manufacturers aren't and an honest Customer Satisfaction Survey reply works wonders!

If I bought another it'd be an HSE V6 5 Door..... with 6,800 miles on the shed and it being 1 year old ecconomy is not a requirement. but if I were to splash that much on a 4x4 it would be a V8 Disco.

Offline quoman

Attack Member
here,s hoping
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 20:43:35 »
Hi Fudge,excuse my ignorance,what is a Powerdrive,where do i get one,and how much.
 Cheers quoman
2001 FREELANDER TD4
2006 Elldis Odysey 540

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal