AuthorTopic: Jeep Cherokee suspension or body lift.  (Read 4973 times)

mattyme

Jeep Cherokee suspension or body lift.
« on: March 23, 2006, 20:16:27 »
ive recently bought a jeep cherokee mk 1 limited se auto.

can anyone give me any advice on raising the suspension please.

is it a simple case of putting spacers on the springs or is it more involved and ill need a big bag of expensive parts!!?

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 21:00:47 »
When i looked into it the cheapest way was shackle lift on the back leaves (What nick are the back springs in, does it sit up at the back or down like most of them) and coil spring spacers on the front but it is a bit of a bodge really.  Why lift unless you are fitting oversize tyres?  Diff guards are a better purchase IMHO.
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

mattyme

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 21:26:28 »
i like the look of 4x4's that sit higher on their axles. but you mayb have a point about the diff guards.

i think ive been bitten by the modifying bug already!! lol

ive got some colway AT's on order and ive got a number for someone who may have some wheels at a decent price!! so fingers crossed.

im really lookin forward to the 1/2 april now.  hehe

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 22:39:56 »
Pop over to Birty's, they'll sort you out... Lots of XJ Drivers over there and loads of useful advice, otherwise there's a few of us over here too and I'm sure they'll be along... There is an "Add A Leaf" option for the XJ I believe. Soz, but my knowlege is on the TJ (What little I have :) )

(To get to Birty's, follow the Cheapfest link below and then the birty's link from there.)

EE :twisted:

Offline Cherry Bomb

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:33:03 »
Ahh...........it begins. :D

The cheapest way of lifting an XJ an inch or so is spacers on the front and shackles on the back.  However, if your rear springs are shot (which they probably are) then get some rear springs for an oil burner.  The TD cherokees are 1" taller as stock.  Don't put add-a- leaves on knackered springs you'll just be throwing your money away.

If you want to fit bigger tyres, then for 31" boots you'll need a 3" lift.  This is when it starts getting a little more 'interesting'.  You'll need springs, new lower front control arms and either a new front track bar or relocate the mounting on the one you have.  You can buy kits with all the stuff in from across the pond.

By far the best modification for the XJ though is front sway bar disconnects.  You'd be amaised how much difference they make off road.
Oh, and junk the rear sway bar, it's made of swiss cheese anyway so getting shot of it releases loads of articulation off road and makes little difference on road. :wink:

like Ed said, pop over to Birtys.  There's loads of folks over there with modded XJs and loads of Jeep knowledge.

Good luck with your new toy. :D
No, it's not me!

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 21:20:55 »
Don't forget about a transfer case skid plate as well...

Oh yes and pop over to the Birtys :lol:

Im sure Jim Willy will be lurking soon :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 21:41:27 »
Quote from: "Bishops Finger"
Don't forget about a transfer case skid plate as well...

Oh yes and pop over to the Birtys :lol:

Im sure Jim Willy will be lurking soon :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually i have fallen in love with a CJ7......  If it was quadratrac and v8 i might let the 90 go (might :!: )
'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 21:48:54 »
i've looked into this as i was planning on lifting the zook.although a shackle lift is cheap,it ain't the way to go.new or good 2nd hand springs is a better alternative.i have short arm and deep pockets but i wouldn't waste money on extened shackles!been told by pro's to steer clear of em!
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 22:28:31 »
Jim Willy

Hmm ... might know where there are some... :D

Offline Cherry Bomb

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:21:12 »
There might be a nice black V8 auto CJ7 for sale for very reasonable money................................ :twisted:

Jaws.........I know where you're coming from but there's nowt wrong with extended shackles as long as they aren't too extreme an inch or so's OK.  You've got to have good springs though, cos if they're knackered, extended shackles will just make things worse.

Like I said before, the best way to lift a petrol XJ an inch or so is to fit TD springs which are an inch taller.  This'll probably lift the back end 2-3 inches since the existing sprins will have sagged a LOT over time, Cherokees are known for it.
No, it's not me!

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 19:25:48 »
i asked the good people at KAP suzuki in keighly what they thought about extended shackles,they told me that extending the shackles by 2" is not the way to go!cheap to do and many people have it done.but apparantly they just dig into the ground!personaly i don't know,not having it done myself.was planning to but now i'm not,may do the rear though depending on the springs!
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

mattyme

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:56:50 »
it looks like the way forward is gonna be the TD rear springs and spacers on the front, for a while at least. i ripped the exhaust off completely in the north yorks laning weekend!!  :? proper lift may come later!!

it came with steering protection and transfer box skid plate as standard... i know about the skid plate cos theres still half the moors stuck in it!! lol  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:07 »
sounds like your taking your time to learn which is a good thing

Further mods will come with time :D

Offline Popeye

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006, 15:06:43 »
Shackle lift on a cherokee is just for the rear leafs where as a suzuki like yours and mine jaws you could have the shackles front and rear which is bad for the steering (front shackles).
   On my ex Cherokee I had a 2" coil spring spacer on the front and a 2" lifting block under the rear leaf springs, it was like that for 2 years until I sold it and it drove just like it did before the lift with a set of pro comp es9000 shockers and 235/75/15 muds and it went eveywhere I pointed it.  8)
Gary

mattyme

update on the suspension lift
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 01:19:28 »
ive decided to replace the rear leaf springs with heavy duty ones, as the springs that are on are nearly inverted. this is apparently a common fault on cherokees.
due to this the brake pipe has been crushed on the drivers side which needs to be replaced... also the suspension bump stop on that side is no longer there!! hence the crushed brake pipe!!
ive also purchased a 1 3/4" suspension lift kit. polyeurothane ( i think ive even got the right spelling!! lol) spacers for the front, and greasable shackles for the rear.
so, all things being fair in love and war, with a bit of luck i wont rip my exhaust off the next time i venture into some mud!! lol
ive also come across a brand new snorkel at a bargain basement price!! im sure thats gonna give me a few headaches while im fitting it tho!! lol
ill put pics up of the mods in my gallery.

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Re: update on the suspension lift
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 01:25:02 »
Quote from: "mattyme"
ive decided to replace the rear leaf springs with heavy duty ones, as the springs that are on are nearly inverted. this is apparently a common fault on cherokees.
due to this the brake pipe has been crushed on the drivers side which needs to be replaced... also the suspension bump stop on that side is no longer there!! hence the crushed brake pipe!!
ive also purchased a 1 3/4" suspension lift kit. polyeurothane ( i think ive even got the right spelling!! lol) spacers for the front, and greasable shackles for the rear.
so, all things being fair in love and war, with a bit of luck i wont rip my exhaust off the next time i venture into some mud!! lol
ive also come across a brand new snorkel at a bargain basement price!! im sure thats gonna give me a few headaches while im fitting it tho!! lol
ill put pics up of the mods in my gallery.

Cool, Me thinks 1.75 inch aint a lot but its a start.  I am doing some laning up the dales very soon as Mi Cuz has just bought a Rangey.  My XJ needed new Leaves and they were a fortune so i got some from SMJ in leeds and they were well cheap.

mattyme

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 01:28:40 »
ill keep my eyes open for dates and such, jim. im well up for doin some more!
 enjoyed the last one so much, its been worth spendin a few quid!! lol  :roll:  :?

jeep quoted me 181+vat for heavy duty rear springs and ive paid 115 inc vat for them. i suppose i could have got them cheaper if id searched round... i am from sheffield after all!! lol

mattyme

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 22:56:57 »
well, the suspension lift was a success!! at least its got my exhaust further away from the ground!! lol

it certainly looks the part, lets see how it performs in the mud!! hehe

Offline Mickey

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2006, 12:37:37 »
Matt,
Looks good. Hopefully I won't be collecting the next exhaust for you  :D

MG
1989 VW Single Cab Syncro 4.2 V8 Transporter. 1989 VW Syncro 16 Westfalia 2.5 TDi Transporter.

http://www.borg4x4.org/

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2006, 18:06:46 »
OOOOOH!  Me like!

So how big a tyre can You fit under there now?

mattyme

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 14:41:20 »
mickey... i dont want anyone collecting my exhaust after how much i shelled out for it!! lol

jim... i aint got a clue about what tyres will fit. maybe you can advise me!! it gertainly looks more than 1 3/4" lift. i think its because ive done the new heavy duty rear springs too. one of the leaves on the drivers side was snapped too, so that would have made it worse.

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 16:30:31 »
Matty fella - that looks loads more like it.

Rock steps/deep ruts . . . . here we come.

Big wheels next . . . . then the arches . . . . . then the . . . then the. . . then the . . . . . . . :wink:
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal